Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel hop and rear questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheel hop and rear questions

alright i am geting some bad wheel hop when the juice comes on. i have LCA relocation bracket but i cant use it with my non adj. LCA cuz it moves my tire forward and the tire hits the inner wheel well.
so i am going i need to but some adj LCA and put it on the bottom hole and that should take car of the wheel hop?
i have spohn LCA panhard bar and adj TQ arm.
or do you think i can adj. my pinion and get it to go away with that?

next question

i have a 9' with a spool. i am running the goodyear 325/50R15 tire and the rear twists when i make turns you can se in the wheel well how one side is touching the front of the wheel well and the other side is hiting the back. so the whole rear moves. what can i do to stop this.
i was thinking that it is caused by the spool and the weakest link is giving. i think that is the LCA cuz it has poly bushings. if i buy the adj. LCA with the tie rod ends do you think that will take care of this?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Default missing

One thing that I noticed missing from your mods suspension list was a rear sway bar. If you you threw a good rear sway bar on the car, the rear end twist/roll should be eliminated.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

oh sorry i have a spohn anti roll bar. it works great car doesnt twist and goes stright.
the problem is the rear forward and back.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my car BAD wheel hop........sold the nine inch.....put a 12 bolt in it and never been happier!!!!! I tried everything to make it work with street tire and after years of fighting it I got rid of it. I think that the geometery is not that good of a set-up in these cars.....it was a moser by the way...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should definitely adjust your pinion angle before making any other changes. This can have a drastic effect on wheel hop. As far as the rear binding and twisting in the car during a turn, the only way to really minimize that is to use LCA's with rod ends. Some of the MADMAN arms will work well for you. The 9" is absoloutly the way to go so don't think about changing it for a 12 Bolt. I can't tell you how many broken 12 bolts I've swapped out for 9"s.

Also, what shock and spring combo are you running? this will have a tremendous impact on wheel hop as well.

Shane

Last edited by XtraCajunSS; 06-25-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
You should definitely adjust your pinion angle before making any other changes. This can have a drastic effect on wheel hop. As far as the rear binding and twisting in the car during a turn, the only way to really minimize that is to use LCA's with rod ends. Some of the MADMAN arms will work well for you. The 9" is absoloutly the way to go so don't think about changing it for a 12 Bolt. I can't tell you how many broken 12 bolts I've swapped out for 9"s.

Also, what shock and spring combo are you running? this will have a tremendous impact on wheel hop as well.

Shane

Thats funny cause i did all that and I still got wheel hop! also I brought it to 2 local performace shop with no luck.

Also I broke my 9 inch 2 times and had to replace and the bearings 2 years in a row..........and the 12 bolt has never broken and I have ZERO wheel hop, also I was making 900ish rwhp with no problems.....I think the nine inch is a over rated and power robbing P.O.S. ALL though I do agree that all these thing need to be checked and fixed before doing anything drastic.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Thats funny cause i did all that and I still got wheel hop! also I brought it to 2 local performace shop with no luck.

Also I broke my 9 inch 2 times and had to replace and the bearings 2 years in a row..........and the 12 bolt has never broken and I have ZERO wheel hop, also I was making 900ish rwhp with no problems.....I think the nine inch is a over rated and power robbing P.O.S. ALL though I do agree that all these thing need to be checked and fixed before doing anything drastic.

You must not have brought it to a "Real" performance shop. If you spend the money correctly the 9" will blow the 12 bolt junk away.

As for the wheelhop issues Shane is correct you also need to look at shocks.

225-343-9029
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=MADMAN]You must not have brought it to a "Real" performance shop. If you spend the money correctly the 9" will blow the 12 bolt junk away.

Do you know how many times I talked to people face to face or on the net that have nothing but problems with a nine inch in a f-body, or when the manufacture say "oh just run a soft tire so it doesn't hop".....I very sure that alot of people have no issues with them, but I was just relaying my history with
one....I know you see and have fast cars going through your shop all the time, but 9 inches break just as much as 12 bolts do. Yet I still haven't broke mine!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

well i just got the 9" and i got it cuz from wha ti can understand they wont break. i found that my pinion angle was at -3 so i set it at -2. i am running the qa1 shocks i think at setting # 7 left #6 right stock springs. i took the car to the track and tried it out with the -2 pinion angle but still same thing, but this time i blew my th350 shifting into 2nd while in wheel hop. dont know what broke but doesnt look good. i just hope i didnt crack the case.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

[

Do you know how many times I talked to people face to face or on the net that have nothing but problems with a nine inch in a f-body, or when the manufacture say "oh just run a soft tire so it doesn't hop".....I very sure that alot of people have no issues with them, but I was just relaying my history with
one....I know you see and have fast cars going through your shop all the time, but 9 inches break just as much as 12 bolts do. Yet I still haven't broke mine! [/QUOTE]

For your info a "soft" tire causes wheel hop not a hard tire. The theory is Wheel hop comes from a tire that is trying to plant and hook and the rear end either tries to run over the wrinkle OR the shocks cant control spring oscillation. The rear end housing has nothing to do with it. Now anything can break when you wheelhop. L

225-343-9029
Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

I see...... so in the case of my old set-up which had a custom torque arm, wolf rear sway bar, qa1's all 4 corners, drag springs, adjustable everything in the rear and front, but still gets wheel hop. I've tried every pinion angle and shock setting there is and played with ride height and moving the rear end back and forth. I also would see my e.t. streets contact patch get lighter and darker when I spun. So what would you think about that?
Oh....and when I put a 12 bolt in the car with all the same suspension.......it was perfect and I was all smiles...
Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

I also fine it weird that after 2 of my friends put a 9 inch in their car they have the same problem.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

otherwhitemeat thank you for your info, but i dont want to cahnge out of 9"i just got the damn thing! so i would like to try everythingi can to get it to work.

madman, do you think a set of adj. LCA with tie rod ends would take care of this wheel hop. or should i change out the springs also? i want to mini tub the car so maybe i should just get the coil over springs and pu them on now and see what happens. well as soon as i recover from paying for whatever broke in my tranny. :"(
Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

I do hope you can get it squared away.. but I bought every single bit a suspension components to try to fix it with zero resolve.....so if you find the lucky change that makes it work like it should please post what you did.....If you read my last post you will see that I spent a few years of hell with that rear end and gave up.....but I would like to see what madman would recommend In a situation like I had where I changed around all components, all angles and a couple sets of springs and shock to try to get it to work with no resolve.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Phoenix call me at 877-516-7223. Lets talk about what your combunation is. The adjustable lcas will definetly help and allow proper positioning of the housing.

225-343-9029
Old 06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

... And sometimes folks have way too much negative pinion angle, and that does not work either.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

i just wana say, that i have been running a 9in for 3 years now on the road with a spool. and i have no wheel hope what so ever with street tires or my ET STREETS at the track. my set up is QA1s up front bmr track pak, adj spoon lcas,with reloctaion brackets on bottom hole. and rear strange shocks, and a air bag on the passernger side. stock sway bar in rear and front is removed.

my rear end twist too, but im scared to run the rod ended lca as im scared over time with no give will tear up the mounting points for them. the poly ends give that little give in there.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Somebody should tell the owners of GM class cars(stock/super stock)not to bother racing because their rear diffs can't take the abuse.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverZ98
i just wana say, that i have been running a 9in for 3 years now on the road with a spool. and i have no wheel hope what so ever with street tires or my ET STREETS at the track. my set up is QA1s up front bmr track pak, adj spoon lcas,with reloctaion brackets on bottom hole. and rear strange shocks, and a air bag on the passernger side. stock sway bar in rear and front is removed.

my rear end twist too, but im scared to run the rod ended lca as im scared over time with no give will tear up the mounting points for them. the poly ends give that little give in there.
i wouldnt care so much abou the rear twisting if it wasnt for the fact that my tires hit the inner wheel well. you have almos tthe same set up as me i just cant put my LCA on the bottom hole due to the tires, so i have to get the adj. LCA

Madman: tired calling you a few times but i know you have to be busy, is there a good time to reach you?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
... And sometimes folks have way too much negative pinion angle, and that does not work either.
yea i agree that is why i checked my angle and found it was -3 i thought that may have been the problem so i set it at -2 but no change.