Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight carpet.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuff
Do you guys know how much you need of the ozite.And how doe's it fit in the rear seat valleys were you really will have to stretch it.I know you have to glue it. I want to order it but don't want the car lookin like i just threw in a drop cloth.

Thanks,Mike
IIRC, 4-yds will cover everything...even into the hatch area.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Didn't Speed Inc. used to sell a light weight carpet?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys know how much you need of the ozite.And how doe's it fit in the rear seat valleys were you really will have to stretch it.I know you have to glue it. I want to order it but don't want the car lookin like i just threw in a drop cloth.

Thanks,Mike
4 yards Mike. I just ordered mine on Thursday, it should be here Monday. It was $65 for all four yards total.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks,Mike
I think you're gonna need 4 yards IIRC to cover it comfortably. You're going to have to glue it to get it to do what you want it to.

Mine weighed in at 6lbs before trimming.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:58 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Thanks guys im ordering it now.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Launching!

what are you guys using to glue the carpet down? Anyone have pics of what it looks like installed?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks,Mike

Mike here's a link to some pic's of the carpet after I put it in, alot of the photo's are the inprocess part of the rollbar install, but you'll get the idea:

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/~scr...%20Ws6%20Pics/

I seamed the corners of the carpet, and in the rear at the point where the tunnel and flat portion where the top of the back seat meet I seamed it there as well, with a little whisking of the carpet to blend the seams you can barely tell where it was seamed at all. I am very happy with how it came out. Just take your time and stretch it with heavy ****, me and my buddy that put mine in were both in the car standing in the car to help stretch it, and we took a break and weighed the spots that needed stretching with some heavy crap I had laying around and it came out great. Just use lots of adhesive too when you put it down, on the carpet and on the floor, it will help it stick and allow you to do some final stretching as you put it down and the glue will hold it. We started in the front and worked out way back, spraying small areas as we went, then moving on to the next spot. You will have to do some seaming at corners to get rid of the lumps, which is easy, just put a cut in the carpet, glue it down then trim the overlap out of the way carefully so it will match up good, and it will come out good.

fwiw the whole 4 yards I got weigh'd 11 lbs with about a mile of plastic wrapping it up, I took the plastic off and it weigh'd 9 lbs, and I guesstimate that I used about 3 and a quarter yards to do my whole car.... so that's probably about 7 lbs of carpet, lighter then anything that's molded you can buy, cheap enough so if it gets ratty after a couple years you can redo it cheap enough without blowing a ton of $, and the dark charcoal grey they have matches the stock ebonny interior carpet so well that you really can't tell it's LW carpet if ya lay it in good, I've actually had people be surprised when I tell them that's a shet of ozite that was stretched and layed in, it really looks close to stock.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Retired Street Racer

I put mine in but didn't glue it down yet. It is a little bit wrinkled around the rear seat area, but that will be fixed once I get the time to glue it all down. Here are pics of mine:

Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

That looks good. I did speaker style stuff a while back, and it all came up in the feet area. I was later told I should have used the adhesive on the floorboards and the carpet, I only did the carpet.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just wondering, but did any of yall put some eDead sound deadener or anything on there or are laying it directly to the floorboard? I'm asking becuase it's still my daily driver but i'm wondering how much louder it would get
Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty loud
Old 07-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Retired Street Racer

Really loud!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Race your car!

the carpet lets more noise in for sure, but adding that sound mat will only take 1/2 the weight savings away, if you are gonna put that stuff in there under the carpet you mine as well leave the stock carpet in the car.

fwiw, taking the carpet out and going to teh ozite made my car louder, but taking the hvac out and putting in the delete plate, and taking the rubber mat off the firewall (well 99% of it LOL) made alot more noise then the carpet mod did.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Hey Matt why do you have a T/A shifter handle?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Cause he likes it. My question is, why not just go without carpet?

W
Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that ozite stuff looks like some stuff I found at walmart. Just came in only black/and light grey, like 5x20. Its sorata like a fuzzy towle junk, for the back of SUVs. But it dosn't look like your heel area will hold up very long? Do you guys use floor mats then?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by carrsls1_camaro
Hey Matt why do you have a T/A shifter handle?
I like the feel of the T/A shifter better than the regular Camaro one.

Originally Posted by WECIV
My question is, why not just go without carpet?

W
I am running the NMCA EFI class and you have to have carpet. No bare metal can show. If I wasn't running a class, I would have the bare floor, no door panels, and no plastics, but rules are rules.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Race your car!

when you say no metal, how far up do they look? I went to where the heater delete plate goes, but that's it, and ther'es some of the tunnel under the dash that has no carpet... do I need to patch it up?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

witch style carpet did you guys get? any weight diffrence?

Plush Cut Pile:
Ultra-Plush Cut Pile (+$62.24):
Neon Pile (+$16.38):

Im probally gone get that for the front section, sence I DD+ the m6, I don't the floormat racing so its gona get some foot wear.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
when you say no metal, how far up do they look? I went to where the heater delete plate goes, but that's it, and ther'es some of the tunnel under the dash that has no carpet... do I need to patch it up?
I am not sure how strict they would be on those areas. I think they are mainly concerned with you having door panels, plastics and carpet. I would contact the NMCA administrators if you're worried.

Quick Reply: Lightweight carpet.