Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Harness Firewall Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver Side Harness Firewall Bracket

Anybody know how to remove the bracket on the driver's side harness bracket. The one that leads all the wiring under the dash? I'm trying to get rid of all of the ABS/TCS wiring that I need no more, but the small grey and black bracket that is on the firewall seems to be sealed. I took the small screw and it released it from the firewall, but does not come apart to let the wires be pulled. I can take a pic if you need to see what I am talking about. I tried pulling the two small clips on each side, but the seal is what seems to be holding this tight. Any tips or info. on how to get it off. Very little room to work in there as well.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a bolt holding it from the inside. To get the whole harness out you will have to take a lot of stuff apart because that harness doesn't come apart right there that is just for sealing the firewall. I thought it would just come apart but no it doesn't. Also all the wires are glued together and you can't even pull them apart to see which wires are going where. I have mine out now and I will snap a pic if I get a chance later to show you. Unless you plan on taking the whole harness out, which involves taking the dash and more out then I would leave it in there.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Question

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I think there is a bolt holding it from the inside. To get the whole harness out you will have to take a lot of stuff apart because that harness doesn't come apart right there that is just for sealing the firewall. I thought it would just come apart but no it doesn't. Also all the wires are glued together and you can't even pull them apart to see which wires are going where. I have mine out now and I will snap a pic if I get a chance later to show you. Unless you plan on taking the whole harness out, which involves taking the dash and more out then I would leave it in there.
I took the bracket of the firewall, and yes, it is sealed and was wondering who I go by pulling that part? I really hope to get all of the wiring through that bracket.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Launching!

You wont be able to pull it through there most likely. Its sealed up, glued, and packed up like a ****. Just snip the wires and call it a day unless you're stripping all the wires out and building a purpose built race car.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah they are glued big time. I tried my best to get the wires out of it but couldn't. The only thing I could do was find the wires were only 1 wire of that color came out the other side and cut it on both sides and remove the rest of the wires. The only thing I would think might work is to apply heat to it and see if the glue melts, but I didn't try it though.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 AM
9 Second Club

There are some plugs under the column that come out through the hole. The hole harness comes through that hole in the firewall. I have done it multiple times.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't think about it but different years could be different mine is a 98. It was a pita to get to all the wires to unhook them in mine. There was about 6 wire harnesses to unhook. and I had to cut 5 wires. One of the wires goes up to the rear view mirror. The ones I had to cut go in the door and I couldn't find a way to disconnect them even after pulling all the door wires out.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brandonppr
The only thing I would think might work is to apply heat to it and see if the glue melts, but I didn't try it though.

That is the only thing I can think of as well. I tried and tried, that thing is sealed tight and will not come apart.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Launching!

My project is a 94 and its the same way. I was stripping everything out of the car wiring wise except for the headlights/signals so I just tore that sealed up box thing apart, but even just going ape **** on it trying to get it out of there took awhile. It'd be nearly impossible if you're trying to be careful.