Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those Of You Who Only Drag Race Your Car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For Those Of You Who Only Drag Race Your Car...

Did you do away with insurance and a registration sticker? I can get an inspection sticker but not sure if you have to have the other stuff if you only race your car at the track. I feel like I am wasting $75 a month on liability insurance if I never take it on the street since I have another sweet DD. If you race at DRR or National Events like the LSX Event, do you have to have a registration sticker and insurance. Now that I think about it, I think you have to have everything no matter where you race. Let me know your approach. Thx. (I know this would eliminate me from any "Street Legal" classes.)
Old 07-17-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

We have been Non-Op for about 4 years on our 1998 Z28. We can get in to street legal drag events though, helps to "know" people. But like you, we saw no reason to keep paying for services to allow our car to be "street legal". No insurance or registration. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did away with insurance and a registration sticker. As you know, we only race at the track.

We dont run any "Street Legal" classes. N/E & Top Et for us.

Coach
Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been track only for over a year but my insur. is only $20 a month. So I left it on mine. 75 for only liability sure sounds high to me?? The way I understand it is that you have to have all that for the LSX classes except for the index classes.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
kp
8 Second Club

You dont need plates and insurance for any of the LSx classes except true street. Because you have to drive the car on the street for 30 miles

i have no plates or liability insurance any more, I just carry racing insurance on the car and its covered for comprehensive except going down the dragstrip. No liabilty naturally and the car can not be registered. I have no reason to drive the car anymore, sure it keeps out of true street and some 'street legal' drags but thats the way it goes. Most tracks would rather have you race then turn you away anyhow and a couple let me run the car with any plate on it in the faster street classes.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

KP who did u get your insurance from?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

if you have a roll bar in your car and you get into a wreck,your insurance company can drop you on the spot.I bought a trailer this year and got it insured, my agent who is a really cool guy asked are you racing your car,YES!, do you have a roll bar in it,YES,then he droped the bad news on me and said,do what ever you want to i never had this discussion with you,but with the roll bar in there its grounds for serious problems.So i droped the coverage on the car.i only had it covered for fire and theft through the winter months ,and full coverage for 4 months in the summer.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends on your insurance.
companies like haggerty don't care if you have a roll bar or not. jsut call it a "theme" show car to the insurance company, go get whatever version of limited use insurance your home state has, and drive it to and from the track or enter street legal events as you wish.
limited use registration also exempts emissions inspection in most states, so you jsut have to throw legal tires on it for the safety check and call it a day
Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
KP who did u get your insurance from?
http://www.dragracersinsurance.com/index.htm

Bill is a very good guy to deal with, you need an enclosed trailer and a garage to keep the car in.

NHRAFORMULA00, my insurance guy somehow ran across my web page with my car on it and dropped it off my policy as well (state farm). He knew I was racing it and never said anything but when he seen pics of the car he freaked out lol. Better off really anyhow, they wouldnt have gave me crap if anything happened to it, and most likely if anything happened happened people would sue and cry street racing and I'd be screwed. No reason to be ashamed of having a race car..
Old 07-17-2007, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in this sorta predicament.

I hardly drive my car, not because I don't want to but because there's always some sort of a project going on. I've put maybe 2k miles over the last 2 years and most of that mileage was driving to the track and making passes.

The car is finally paid off and there is no reason to pay full coverage, especially considering the car had no bumper support or impact beams etc.

I also feel liability is to much, but I do want to compete in street classes and cruise in the car to work etc.

What options are out there besides the mainstream stuff, any kind of special insurance companys that will work with me?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

I have liability coverage on mine for about $28 a month. I keep it because i do drive it around some when i feel guilty about not driving it for 2 weeks.

Liability will insure the other driver if an accident ever happened.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Just curious as to what their reasoning was for dropping your car cause it has a roll cage?

To me it's added protection and insurance companies have lower premiums for side air bags. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but it doesn't make sense to me. CRAP!