Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag radial rule change?? (for the LSX shootout)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007 | 09:50 PM
9 Second Club

Default Drag radial rule change?? (for the LSX shootout)

This is what we need. I have been talking to some of the rules commitee for this event. I believe the nitrous weight break is not near enough. I have posted these sanctioned event rules for them.....and as you will be able to see the weight is off quite abit for the small block nitrous guys.This was a old post so the links don't work anymore but you can look them up
http://www.worldfordchallenge.com/c...hp?c=dragradial
2600lbs for small block nitrous cars with a difference of 500lb between the turbo and bottle guys and the F'ing turbo guys still win this everytime (Wolfe) He set the record here weighing in at well over the base weight.

http://www.speedworlddragway.com/St...html#RadialTire
3100lbs with a difference of 300lbs between the turbo and bottle guys

http://www.pscaracing.com/Rules/rul...wildstreet.html
2850lbs with a difference of 500lbs between the turbo and bottle guys. This is with a limit on of 94mm turbo and no limit on nitrous. Once again the turbo car wins this class everytime.

http://www.outlawracing.com/THERULE...67/Default.aspx
2900lbs base weight and the turbo guys have to weigh 3200lbs

They want any people that are interested in trying to make this race and also feel that the weight is off to post up their race weight and best ET...
...I don't want to drive 9hrs to intentionally hurt parts on my car from the weight. I feel as 3000lbs is right about average for a small block nitrous car.

Last edited by GueSS Who; 08-13-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2007 | 09:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

You should contact all the nitrous guys who said they were going, and see which ones agree with you and send that list the rules people. I don't think they were looking to screw the nitrous guys.
Old 08-14-2007 | 07:56 AM
8 Second Club

There are a couple of things in the rules I am not fond of... even little things like where the exhaust must exit really cause a problem for a turbo setup like me... not to mention they are allowing 106MM thumper turbos and ladder bars / non-OEM 4-links along with full tubs...

I think the drag radial class should be stock style suspension with a more modest inlet size... something like 88MM... based on the current rules a mid 7 second 10.5 car could enter by just adding drag radials...
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

turbo rules will not get changed
we tried lobbying for 3000 lb for nos and they said no
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:29 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I'm not too happy about the cubic inches either, I'd like to have 3200lbs for a 347. 347-500cid is quite a spread.

BUT, if the complaining about the rules starts and no one shows it will be a dead deal. I'm willing to spend, no invest, 1000.00 + and drag my family to Memphis for four days to lose first round just to show that not everyone with an LS1 is a keyboard racer and maybe something will come out of it. Paul Major, Ohio Boys and many others, including myself, are out there every weekend trying to get some respect for these powerplants and now GM is stepping up to the plate big time. I have no financial interest in any of this or think anyone should accept the rules because they are just 'there,' I just want a place to race.

Not to say what you are doing is wrong GuessWho, there is still some time to change the rules and you presented it well. Myself, I would love to see the N2o cars lighter. I'm so far out of the game the rules really dont matter for me, 200lbs will make little difference, but if you have the times in black and white that the top nitrous combos are using and can get other nitrous guys to stick together and can get a couple hundred more pounds more power to you..

Good luck to you.
Old 08-14-2007 | 10:46 AM
9 Second Club

My car cant come close to 3,000 lbs. but I do feel like the rules are unfair for the N20 cars.

3,000 lbs. is VERY fair and would be a simple change for tem to make.
Old 08-14-2007 | 11:59 AM
7 Second Club

I agree with KP here. Racing is supposed to be for fun, and I know that spending the amount of $$$ to race when you know you have a slim-to-none chance of winning sucks. But if no-one makes the attempt to race, GM will assume no interest, thus plug pulled.

In my opinion, make a post on the NMCA board (www.nmcadigital.com) and/or write or call their tech department with proven timeslips and information and maybe they will consider changes. Even showing up and making laps will show what the cars will run, and then changing of the rules for the following year will be a better possibility than not showing up and complaining. I'm not taking sides, but I've raced plenty of times in even bracket races where I should not have made rounds happen, but strange things happen!

Derek
Old 08-14-2007 | 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ATVracr
My car cant come close to 3,000 lbs. but I do feel like the rules are unfair for the N20 cars.

3,000 lbs. is VERY fair and would be a simple change for tem to make.
I am with Atv on this one, my car comes in at 3480-3520 depending on if the bottles are full...... Kinda hard to be real competitve when racing a TANK!!! I plan to make the trip down though, just t support the other N2o guys and have some fun...... never know what could happen, but not really holding my breath
Old 08-14-2007 | 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Andre the reason they did not restrict turbos to an 88 inlet is for a few reasons...

1) The fastest LS1 guys alread moved on.
2) Their rules committee kicked around making it a 91mm turbo like SSO 10.5 but again most big turbo LS1 guys were already into the 94mm stuff.
3) They look at this more like an Outlaw Drag Radial class... simple rules, run what yah brung.

I think you should ask on their board for the weight break, they can always say no, but I hope you go regardless because you will have a lot of juice with them if you showed up.
Old 08-14-2007 | 12:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by burbanman
I am with Atv on this one, my car comes in at 3480-3520 depending on if the bottles are full...... Kinda hard to be real competitve when racing a TANK!!! I plan to make the trip down though, just t support the other N2o guys and have some fun...... never know what could happen, but not really holding my breath

Its really not about whether its N2o, turbo or blower. The rules are just flat out unfair to anyone who has a slower car. Always was, always will be in any racing series. All you can do is present your case as well as you can to the people who can do something about it.

I'm not foolish enough to think I even have a chance, if I go a round or two its happens (hell I've gone 6 rounds to the finals before and never really won a round), lot of people watching this race. If you cant beat it up on the track, put it in the car show or throw it on the dyno, GM is paying 1000 to win on that thing too I think

A ton of people travel from all over to sit in a parking lot and drink beer (F-body gatherings) so why not show GM thess cars really do exist outside of metal boxes with a couple hard drives.

Plus I dont want to be the slowest car in drag radial
Old 08-14-2007 | 12:57 PM
8 Second Club

I would be happy if it was sub 100MM... how many 106MM LSx cars on drag radials do you know about?

We are going out next weekend with some changes in our setup... we'll see how it goes... I expect this class to be in the 7's based on the rules... And it's a long drive from Canada

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Andre the reason they did not restrict turbos to an 88 inlet is for a few reasons...

1) The fastest LS1 guys alread moved on.
2) Their rules committee kicked around making it a 91mm turbo like SSO 10.5 but again most big turbo LS1 guys were already into the 94mm stuff.
3) They look at this more like an Outlaw Drag Radial class... simple rules, run what yah brung.

I think you should ask on their board for the weight break, they can always say no, but I hope you go regardless because you will have a lot of juice with them if you showed up.
Old 08-14-2007 | 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Well you could always bolt on a 94 or 98mm and show them up. You're off to a great start as you know.
Old 08-14-2007 | 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp

Plus I dont want to be the slowest car in drag radial
I'll probably be the slowest and weigh the most

What happens at this race has a huge barring on what we do as far as building a car and going racing next year. So we will be there showing our support and going as fast as we can hopefully without breaking something.
Old 08-14-2007 | 01:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by vmax1500
I expect this class to be in the 7's based on the rules...
Thats why a N20 cant be competitive .... noone has ever been close to a 7 second pass AT ANY WEIGHT !
Old 08-14-2007 | 01:12 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I'll probably be the slowest and weigh the most

What happens at this race has a huge barring on what we do as far as building a car and going racing next year. So we will be there showing our support and going as fast as we can hopefully without breaking something.
I know you guys are eyeing up the XS class and so am I, even if GM doesnt pick up a whole series I'm hoping a good showing will help LSx cars get into NMCA mean street (entry level) and see some LS1 cars run in street race or XS like you guys are looking. I'm getting kinda spoiled with no distributer, dry intake, light cylinder heads and captive o-ring gaskets. This may not be the fastest car I ever had but its the least leaky low 9 second car I ever had thats for sure - not a shop rag duct taped anywhere
Old 08-14-2007 | 01:16 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Thats why a N20 cant be competitive .... noone has ever been close to a 7 second pass AT ANY WEIGHT !
I think you might see it with the new blocks and heads, most of it is everyone with the big $$ jumped to the turbo bandwagon. But I do agree a couple hunderd pounds may get some more nitrous cars to show up, as it stands I highly doubt even at 3000lbs any of the current cars (except one maybe) will run a 7 second pass.
Old 08-14-2007 | 01:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Well you could always bolt on a 94 or 98mm and show them up. You're off to a great start as you know.
Thanks! Like I said before, I am running a custom 80MM inlet turbo from Precision... as it turns out, it's not making the kind of boost they promised...

If I go out to the LSx shootout, there will be no reducer on the turbo

We'll see what happens at the track next weekend...
Old 08-14-2007 | 05:31 PM

with the amount of NOS cars there should be a seperate NOS class this would solve some of the problem, then it will be a race to see who stays together the longest, i think a NOS car will go 8.50s at this event and it wont be near enough against the 7 sec turbo guys....
We talked to the GM guys 2 months ago when they called to ask about the race and why everyone was down on the race and we told them that the NOS cars need a bigger weight break they told us that next year that could be possible but they cant/wont make a change this late in the year, so we all will have to suck it up for a event and help make a strong NOS showing and prove the NOS cars cant run with the turbos under the current rules
Old 08-14-2007 | 06:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
with the amount of NOS cars there should be a seperate NOS class this would solve some of the problem, then it will be a race to see who stays together the longest, i think a NOS car will go 8.50s at this event and it wont be near enough against the 7 sec turbo guys....
We talked to the GM guys 2 months ago when they called to ask about the race and why everyone was down on the race and we told them that the NOS cars need a bigger weight break they told us that next year that could be possible but they cant/wont make a change this late in the year, so we all will have to suck it up for a event and help make a strong NOS showing and prove the NOS cars cant run with the turbos under the current rules

Well said !

We will see you there
Old 08-14-2007 | 06:58 PM
9 Second Club

Good input guys. I know Ed Curtis is just looking for other people with similar arguments. He is submitting this to the rules commitee for nothing. He is not making anthing off of any racing action but wants to have a good turnout.