Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes the thrashing continues, I hope you got that day off man...
I cant wait to see this thing done and what it can do
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously getting my *** kicked by small projects is all I can say....
Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Seriously getting my *** kicked by small projects is all I can say....
like what?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
like what?
When you build a single digit car there are seemingly never ending small things that need to be done. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done.

Sean
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Broke EF
When you build a single digit car there are seemingly never ending small things that need to be done. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done.

Sean
AMEN to that.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ProTreeRacing
AMEN to that.
x1000
Old 07-20-2011, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you all ever trade what you have- with all the headaches, time, money, frustration, seemingly endless down time...

for...

...something a little slower- more of a street and strip thing that you can drive to and from the track, is very reliable and tons of fun?

I'm just curious. I've never owned anything faster than my heads/cam car
Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM
7 Second Club

No, it will all be worth it in the end. We changed soo many small things that need to be addressed. Some of the parts are not like you can walk into a parts store and get them which makes it a PITA.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Would you all ever trade what you have- with all the headaches, time, money, frustration, seemingly endless down time...

for...

...something a little slower- more of a street and strip thing that you can drive to and from the track, is very reliable and tons of fun?

In a heart beat. Hence why I'm selling off both cars. Going to buy something nice and cruise it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 267 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning

for...

Yep! I did many years ago. Scaled way back, changed gears, got into different combos. Explored a bit, didn't like having all my eggs in one basket! Heads up racing is awesome, but if you can't afford to run at the front, it ain't worth all the sacrifice. Plain and simple. Life changes as you age, certain things become less important than others. Priorites change too. One thing is certain, when this is in your blood, you never can step ALL the way away. It is disease, but I learned to do it within moderation.

I always loved the challenge, all the cool parts and technology. Hated being broke, all the downtime spent re-doing things on the car to keep current. And most of all hated relying on other people and parts manufacturers to get me what I needed when I needed it. Endless.

Sorry to hijack. Good luck with this build, I wouldn't have followed along recently if it wasn't too cool. I like the NEWer technology, parts and pieces this car has and am interested to see it work. Looks like your committed, reminds me of myself many moons ago. Although I can feel that pain. I am more of a fan of those parts than that Mustang body though.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting aspects. I'm in the quest for the '9 second street car that makes gobs of power' phase. I will never race it competitively. But in the same regard, I am broke buying a house and all that good stuff.

Enough of my thread hi-jack. I figured I'd ask to keep this thread alive as Phil raises the bar!

Commence.....
Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

should bring tht thing to 75/80 for an odr race phil last winner only went 4.80 with a 2. me thinks you could do better
Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
should bring tht thing to 75/80 for an odr race phil last winner only went 4.80 with a 2. me thinks you could do better
c'mon....we all know phil doesn't travel outside of MIR
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Who's to say the track wouldn't support any more then a .80 run? It's posible that there could have been a 4.60 car there that had to back it off to get down the track...

Racing, you never approach it like that. Well, not with any success anyway.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM
FormerVendor

Despite the headaches, similar to Brians plan with the motor deal, just put the car in the garage and wait till next year, getting rid of it would be a huge loss and you would prolly regreat it once your this deep.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Who's to say the track wouldn't support any more then a .80 run? It's posible that there could have been a 4.60 car there that had to back it off to get down the track...

Racing, you never approach it like that. Well, not with any success anyway.
those whove been to 75-80 will know why its funny. that and it seems phil and friends seem to have a great handle on that suspension.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Jason, once you get below that 9 second mark it is hard to be satisfied with a slow street car, I had a sub 10 sec 66 chevelle and now I feel like a sunday driver at 11 range... I hope you keep the new stang, I would love to see you whoop some A$$ and win some jack...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 StealthZ
Jason, once you get below that 9 second mark it is hard to be satisfied with a slow street car, I had a sub 10 sec 66 chevelle and now I feel like a sunday driver at 11 range... I hope you keep the new stang, I would love to see you whoop some A$$ and win some jack...
I had a race car a few years ago because of the money. It was just an 8 second s 10 with a fogger on it, but sold it because the name of the game is to go faster and going fast you break parts. Then you replace parts to get back to the same place you were before breaking it. Then if you wanna go faster you spray it harder or turn up the boost. Then you break more stuff. It requires alot of money to go fast and alot of time a dedication. My hats off to you Phil and Fireball and the rest of you that do it on this scale.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM
7 Second Club

I got a good bit of the touch-up work done this morning with the temps almost 105 degrees in the shop. I had to notch the frame rail for header clearance, got a piece welded in to box it back up, got the firewall plate welded in and got the pieces made to notch the tranny opening. There are just alot of things that need to be done that are taking more time than they should.

For example the starter, I had to get a new starter which doesn't match the old one so I had to machine it on the mill to get it to fit with the kick out on the oil pan. So once it was milled, I had to find low profile bolts which no one had locally so I had to order 2 bolts. Once the bolts got here they wouldn't fit around the kickout on the oil pan so I had to take the oil pan off which is a pain in the ***, install the starter, re-seal the oil pan and install. What should have been a 2-3 minute project has 4 hours of my time and has taken a couple days to do.

Not a big deal but for some reason the coolant temp sensor hits the header flanges, had to grind 3/16" off the flange to gain clearance
Plug on the passenger side head also hits the header flanges
Spark plugs appear to be moved just ever soo slightly so the one that was a pain to get out is almost impossible, working on a custom tool to make it happen
ordered 2" header gaskets only to find that the company punched them off so the ports dont line up
EGT probes hit the valve cover, needed to machine down the valve cover rail and bend the crap out of the EGTs to get it to fit
Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I got a good bit of the touch-up work done this morning with the temps almost 105 degrees in the shop. I had to notch the frame rail for header clearance, got a piece welded in to box it back up, got the firewall plate welded in and got the pieces made to notch the tranny opening. There are just alot of things that need to be done that are taking more time than they should.

For example the starter, I had to get a new starter which doesn't match the old one so I had to machine it on the mill to get it to fit with the kick out on the oil pan. So once it was milled, I had to find low profile bolts which no one had locally so I had to order 2 bolts. Once the bolts got here they wouldn't fit around the kickout on the oil pan so I had to take the oil pan off which is a pain in the ***, install the starter, re-seal the oil pan and install. What should have been a 2-3 minute project has 4 hours of my time and has taken a couple days to do.

Not a big deal but for some reason the coolant temp sensor hits the header flanges, had to grind 3/16" off the flange to gain clearance
Plug on the passenger side head also hits the header flanges
Spark plugs appear to be moved just ever soo slightly so the one that was a pain to get out is almost impossible, working on a custom tool to make it happen
ordered 2" header gaskets only to find that the company punched them off so the ports dont line up
EGT probes hit the valve cover, needed to machine down the valve cover rail and bend the crap out of the EGTs to get it to fit
All sounds alot like the stuff we had to do Phil, still doing. LOL!

The motor grows alot with the tall deck and the shear size of the heads & valve covers.

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"