PA light weight spindles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fash00
Unless im reading correctly which i probably am on AJE's site
CF-4900 2" Drop Spindle Struts 4th Generation $1099
AJE makes Strut spindles and replacement Spindles.

The Strut spindles use a 3rd gen strut assembly with a plate at the top for proper travel geometry, they also require 3rd gen brakes, and AJE's custom lower arms for use with the strut.

the Replacement spindles keep the upper and lower a arms and stock and require 3rd gen brakes. last time i talked to the guys ate AJE they where around $600 for the replacement spindles.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Madman they didn't work out that great? What exactly did you have to redo on them to get it right?

I also wonder if they will make these without the 2 inch drop built in.... I mean I guess I coudl crank the springs up to get the ride height back, but that would act like a set of travel limiters I think and would do other things to how the car works, any input in this?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
AJE makes Strut spindles and replacement Spindles.

The Strut spindles use a 3rd gen strut assembly with a plate at the top for proper travel geometry, they also require 3rd gen brakes, and AJE's custom lower arms for use with the strut.

the Replacement spindles keep the upper and lower a arms and stock and require 3rd gen brakes. last time i talked to the guys ate AJE they where around $600 for the replacement spindles.
you can use any lower a-arm with the AJE struts, you do not need to buy the AJE ones. you just dont bolt anything to where the shock mounts.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec93
you can use any lower a-arm with the AJE struts, you do not need to buy the AJE ones. you just dont bolt anything to where the shock mounts.
Thats good to know,

i was just going by what i was told when i called.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ut oh are you putting a LSx in there now?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

I also wonder if they will make these without the 2 inch drop built in.... I mean I guess I coudl crank the springs up to get the ride height back, but that would act like a set of travel limiters I think and would do other things to how the car works, any input in this?
The ones I have are 1" drop, they will make whatever you want.

I had this all on the car a while back but ended up missing a few parts and got tired of waiting so I took it off and put the old stuff back on to run to car. I never had any issues at all, was able to align it with no problem, got the bump steer to zero easily, akerman was a little off but nothing deastic. But they kept sending me the wrong piece to extend the right side of the rack and pinion so I couldnt drive the car. But AJE tends to change things around pretty often, the k-member, lower a-arms and spindles look different than the same setup I seen on another car.. Not to mention I still dont have all the right parts here for it yet to finish it
Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Ut oh are you putting a LSx in there now?
i have been wanting to for awhile now and i just got tired of the carb crap. only reason for the carbed sbc in the first place was it is cheap to go fast but just ain't my style so its back to fuel injection....finally!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
The ones I have are 1" drop, they will make whatever you want.

I had this all on the car a while back but ended up missing a few parts and got tired of waiting so I took it off and put the old stuff back on to run to car. I never had any issues at all, was able to align it with no problem, got the bump steer to zero easily, akerman was a little off but nothing deastic. But they kept sending me the wrong piece to extend the right side of the rack and pinion so I couldnt drive the car. But AJE tends to change things around pretty often, the k-member, lower a-arms and spindles look different than the same setup I seen on another car.. Not to mention I still dont have all the right parts here for it yet to finish it

I don't like hearing that part, about still waiting for parts. I'm gonna go with their stuff because it's a little more racy, and should be a little lighter, I think for now I'm gonna run the stock spindles, unless those spindles are 10+ lbs lighter it's not worth the 1000 bucks for them to save 300 on the brakes. The stuff will go on over the winter and if for some reason I can't get something from them I think my fab guy probably could make whatever, but it would be nice if they had a complete kit that was 100% and worked.

But, in aje's defense, everyone else's stuff has issues with something, geometry being wrong, bind in the steering shaft because of the angle, etc.etc. I dunno what I would rather have, a gemoetry problem that has to et redesigned once you have it, or to have a missing part a fab guy could come up with. I guess both aren't all too great, but one seems like an easier fix then the other.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been wanting to for awhile now and i just got tired of the carb crap. only reason for the carbed sbc in the first place was it is cheap to go fast but just ain't my style so its back to fuel injection....finally!
Good choice.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I don't like hearing that part, about still waiting for parts. I'm gonna go with their stuff because it's a little more racy, and should be a little lighter, I think for now I'm gonna run the stock spindles, unless those spindles are 10+ lbs lighter it's not worth the 1000 bucks for them to save 300 on the brakes. The stuff will go on over the winter and if for some reason I can't get something from them I think my fab guy probably could make whatever, but it would be nice if they had a complete kit that was 100% and worked.

But, in aje's defense, everyone else's stuff has issues with something, geometry being wrong, bind in the steering shaft because of the angle, etc.etc. I dunno what I would rather have, a gemoetry problem that has to et redesigned once you have it, or to have a missing part a fab guy could come up with. I guess both aren't all too great, but one seems like an easier fix then the other.
I dont want to hijack this thread too bad so if you start a new thread asking about AJE stuff I can tell you what I honestly think of it all
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribe!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
8 Second Club

I have sanhuff http://www.santhuffshocks.com/struts.html struits and had jason do the a arms, lite as heck and made from good parts had to use 1st gen wilwood brake kit. worked out great all stuff bolts in stock location and even uses the stock replacment shocks. also dont use ball joints so moves easy .
Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MADMAN
I used the AJE spindles on Pacos car. I wasnt impressed and spent alot of time reengineering them to get the travel etc correct. I havent seen the PA stuff so I dont know about the quality of theirs.
not sure about the ls1 aje vs pa racing stuff, but the fox body stuff ive seen and used, the pa racing has been better fit and especially finish.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 AM
9 Second Club

Anyone running the 2" drop spindle yet (PA,Racecaft)?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Retired Street Racer

Old thread, but I see it was brought back up. ONEBADWS6 just did the swap to PA Racing spindles and Strange 1st gen brakes on his car a few weekends ago. Also, Lil Mike from Straightline did the same swap on his car. It saved about 100lbs or a little bit more off the nose. I'll try and get them in here to comment. Overall, I was impressed with the quality of the spindles and brake setup. I am probably going to go the same route on my car.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

What is the ACTUAL weight on these. The weight of just the spindle and the weight WITH the brake setup on it?

Looks good!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

The spindles themselves saved me 30lbs over stock. I had a bathroom scale and most of the stuff was hanging all off it. My guess is a easy 100lbs when I tried to move a box with the stock stuff in it. These are the 2in drop spindels as well.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM
8 Sec Tuner

AJE quality is generally pretty ****-tastic. The Mustang people have been using and complaining about it for a long time now. Their **** hardly ever fits right and the geometry is pretty terrible.

If you're interested in some trick stuff check out www.racecraft.com. They've got some complete suspension setups with drop spindles that are very light and work very well.

-Ben R
Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
7 Second Club

what spindle setup is that?

Quick Reply: PA light weight spindles?