Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it OK to drive a big stalled A3 on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's on the top drivers side on my th350, but it's actually a vent i was told and could overflow if there's way too much fluid in it.

i got all but my cooler today and may i say that the CSR Super Shield & Hurst Pistol Grip shifter are SHARP! VERY nice looking pieces and i would buy them again for sure! oh yea, the TCI flexplate is lighter than i thought it would be, 7 lbs.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM
9 Second Club

Installed the Shield already and found out there was more than just putting it on and strapping it down. it's nothing difficult, just unexpected since i never saw anything on Summit or Jeg's site about it. took about 30 minutes start to finish after reading the instructions, getting the tools, plugging in the air comp and start to finished install.

here's what to expect, and do the same on both sides.....

Cut off the "tabs or ears" all together....

Said to grind this 1/16-1/8"...

here's what it should look like...

other side too....

NICE!!!

FYI..... i used dual 1/4" npt to -6 fittings into the trans and dual 45* -6 fittings after that and they fit really nice with the shield installed. i'll also be using a Lokar tube so i can't say if a solid tube would have any fitment issues.

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 10-19-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a solid hughes stick that was bent a little to get in the car, it works, but the lokar is probably easier to deal with.

I too had to do the cutting/etc, but totally forgot about that until you just reminded me LOL.

pry hard, any chance you coudl PM me the sfi# off that shield, I wanna make up a paper with all that **** on it for next year, and unless I drop my tranny I'm not gonna see the #'s on my damn shield. I bought the thing last year and never even thought to write that stuff down. That being said, anyone doing the conversion, record all your sif #'s down on a piece of paper for tech in case they ask you for them.... or you'll be in the same boat I am, asking for #'d of someone's ****, or be pulling yours back apart to get them.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
it's on the top drivers side on my th350, but it's actually a vent i was told and could overflow if there's way too much fluid in it.

i got all but my cooler today and may i say that the CSR Super Shield & Hurst Pistol Grip shifter are SHARP! VERY nice looking pieces and i would buy them again for sure! oh yea, the TCI flexplate is lighter than i thought it would be, 7 lbs.
It's nice to see other guys going through the same project I'm doing. We are using the exact same parts. I'm going to order the CRS shield today. I like it, looks great on your th350. The guys at the speed shop said it was kinda of a bitch to put on..

Thanks for the pics. I will be posting lots of them once all my parts are in. So stay tuned in on this thread in case I need some advice.

I seen the over flow tube on the right side of my core tranny. I will run a small plastic line off of it to a small plastic catch can. I do not want it getting under the car and possibly causing a wreck.

Guys, I'm not sure if the pistol grip shifter will work in my stock M6 consoul/boot. Does anyone know if this will work???
Old 10-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Race your car!

I used an A4 console and built the shifter up a little bit, and opened the hole up some so the shifter would clear. It came out really good, only thing I haven't yet gotten to was making a little plate to go over the A4 shifter pattern with the correct pattern..... but other then that it came out good.

There was no way it was gonna work thru the M6 console that I am sure of, I have seen pic's of people putting a b&m shifter thru an m6 console, but I hate those shifters way too much to even consider it.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRracing
Well I think I'm gonna get the CRS unit. I took my core to automotions and ordered the tranny from coan. I also ordered a TCI flywheel a TCI deep pan a digital temp gauge and dual pillar pod.
I need to decide which shifter I am going to get. I want the hurst quarter stick with the pistol grip and brake button on top. He has those in stock, so no big deal.
Just remember Automotions is more expensive then ordering from summit even haver the handeling charge and all.

For Pro Stars they wanted like $50 more and told me they could not price match to Summit. I know go there if I need something small like NOW.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Just remember Automotions is more expensive then ordering from summit even haver the handeling charge and all.

For Pro Stars they wanted like $50 more and told me they could not price match to Summit. I know go there if I need something small like NOW.
Man, they are taking care of me. They saved me 95 on the tranny and save me the drive to Kokomo. 30 on the tci pan. And thats all I actually have gotten so far. I ordered the CSR shield but I'll have to see what they are going to do for me there. I told them this would be a nice pakage deal as long as he save's me a little bit on everything.
But it is hard to compete with these big mail order company's in this day and age.
There putting the little guys out.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I used an A4 console and built the shifter up a little bit, and opened the hole up some so the shifter would clear. It came out really good, only thing I haven't yet gotten to was making a little plate to go over the A4 shifter pattern with the correct pattern..... but other then that it came out good.

There was no way it was gonna work thru the M6 console that I am sure of, I have seen pic's of people putting a b&m shifter thru an m6 console, but I hate those shifters way too much to even consider it.

The B&M shifter people are using in the M6 consoul is the hammer shifter. But I don't like it either.
I guess I could find an A4 one to hack up. What shifter do you have? Got any pics of yours?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

PRY HDR, are you putting that shield on up under there when you put the tranny back in? Some guys told be it was a PITA doing it under the car. Said the bolt holes were a bitch to get all lined up at the same time.

If you put it in soon, report back and let us know if it was difficult. And thanks again for the pics.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRracing
Man, they are taking care of me. They saved me 95 on the tranny and save me the drive to Kokomo. 30 on the tci pan. And thats all I actually have gotten so far. I ordered the CSR shield but I'll have to see what they are going to do for me there. I told them this would be a nice pakage deal as long as he save's me a little bit on everything.
But it is hard to compete with these big mail order company's in this day and age.
There putting the little guys out.

Yeah no kidding, the owner himself told me he could not touch summit and jegs.

I am suprised Automotions is still around. Lots of die hards that go there and don't do the mail order thing though.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Race your car!

I'm running a pistol grip hurst quarterstick... I will try to find a picture of it, but I think all the ones I have are too far to really see that good.

If you find an A4 shifter, the base of that works good to build up the quarterstick so it will sit at a good height in the console, that's what we did with mine and it came out good.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

Here are a few pics of the motor and tranny after pulling it today. Check out the damage on the piston and the crack in the cylinder. Big bummer. I'm still not real sure why this happened. Any guesses?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Race your car!

too lean/too much timing, not enough octane.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Shoot your tuner or shoot yourself in the foot for runing to cheap of gas hahaha.

Sorry I did not call you, I found out on shot notice that I had to work Sunday.

Ill give you a call Wed and see whats up.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

No problem. I had to spend a little Q time at home with the baby. I've been out a lot.

I should be picking up any parts that are in tomorrow.