Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcohol Cars & Coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My EGT readings will bounce around (only have it on cylinder #1). I've run it as low as 440 at idle (1,000 RPM) and as high as 660 at idle. Either way I haven't found much variance in ET or even fuel use. I use a gallon a pass in my 468, my carb runs hot for a alky carb but even then I went 8 rounds Saturday night and coming up the return road after the final round I was at 165. My car goes through the 1/8 mile with an EGT of around 1200 which is supposedly a little lean but it's been like that the past two seasons and performance/consistancy are great so I haven't bothered with it.

In terms of temp you can pretty much pick how hot you want it to run, keep the water pump on at that temp and you won't see much temp gain at all so you really chose how cool it runs.

It's a real SOB to run when it's around 40 degrees outside, can't keep heat in it at all and I have to spray it with carb cleaner or pour some gas in it to get it to start. I used to have a nitrous solenoid to spray gas from a spare tank in but being the idiot I am I ditched it.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats kinda cool, i would have guessed much lower EGT's with the Methanol/alcohol.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady
we were having fuel pressure issues and found the fuel in the tank to be almost too hot to touch. We had a rear mount cell then too, and the fuel could have been flashing in the suction line to the pump (belt drive waterman pump). Since then we moved the cell to the front of the car and had the pump rebuilt. The methanol ate up the pump housing..

The rest of the fuel system consists of a weldon regulator and whole bunch of fuel injectors.

I've got a feeling that stock suspension/radial racing will turn against methanol and we'll end up on gasoline next year. Oh well, that's racing.
So you don't have any problems with hot spots in the block/heads running zero water? My buddy keeps telling me that I need at least a small radiator. Maybe towing the car to staging & back to the pits helps?

People sure are whining about the alcohol in EZ. I understand the argument for taking it back down to a F2 blower, since that was a huge loophole to start with, I just don't see why alcohol is any different than allowing A/W intercoolers.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problems yet... but haven't tore into the shortblock all year.

If ORSCA gets stupid we'll just run true 10.5 races and outlaw radial races next year. I don't feel like slowing down.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, bringing this one back from the dead with some questions. Newb questions on running alcohol.

I noticed most people refer to running alcohol with injectors, but what about running nozzle setups? How do those work? I'm wanting to put / will be putting a turbo Gen I in my camaro shortly. I'm not wanting to do a carbed setup and aftermarket efi setups are expensive.

I was looking at Ron's at wondering how they worked. They are referred to as, "mechanical constant flow fuel injection." Particuarly the flying toilet setup. I know you have to run different ring gaps and a different fuel system to run alcohol, but is this a viable option for a street car? Say a 3k miles max a year.

Quick Reply: Alcohol Cars & Coolant temp