Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hookin' Hoosier radial slicks w/a lightweight car & transbrake

Current specs & settings on my car

2875 raceweight
4.10 gear
high stall converter (6000? Built for cam only motor, needs to be reworked)
Hoosier 30x10.5x15 (I've tried 22, 20, 18, 17, 16, & 15 psi)
Moroso DS-2 front drag tires (26x4.5x15 at 30 psi)
Strange double adjustable rears (5 on compression/6 on extension)
QA1 Hal R series fronts (4)
BMR Xtreme torque arm set at -2º
2" of travel on the limiters
30" from the ground to fender lip on the rear, 28" for the front

I've tried 22, 20, & 18 psi using the transbrake to what the converter stalls to. I'm not sure exactly what it stalls to as it was built for the cam only motor. It could be 5500, it could be 6000. I do know it's probably too much. I've also tried 17, 16, & 15 psi off the footbrake and I STILL can't get it to hook. The best 60 ft. I've cut so far is a 1.39 off the footbrake, using 15 psi. I want to go back to using my transbrake, but there's no way as I would blow through the tires. I've listed settings, specs, etc. above to give you an idea of what setup I have. Is it possible to hook Hoosier radial slicks using transbrake? Why the hell can't I hook them even on footbrake? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Dragaholic; 02-07-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old are the tires? Might need some new ones.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

How much air are you getting off the footbrake?
This is funny because I was just on the phone with Hoosier tech TODAY asking them about launching these tires off the transbrake.
The tech guy told me that they do work well off the transbrake and he suggested 18psi.
I have the same tires but no passes on them yet.
From looking at what you have listed what jumps out at me is the 2" travel on the limiters.
I know from experience with my car I always 60' better with the fronts up in the air a bit.
If your not getting huge wheelstands off the footbrake I would start with increasing the travel on the limiters.
I was just thinking today of what settings I was going to start out with the new combo.
I was thinking of setting the rears at 9, fronts at 4, limiters at 4" travel.
I just installed wheelie bars and I have them set at 11 1/4" off the ground because I know she likes to leave with the fronts up.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

WickEdSix98, haha, they've got a whole 6 passes on them.

tektrans, I'm getting no air off the footbrake. NONE. The car just pushes forward, no lift at all. I used to pull the wheels off the ground so easily with the ET Drags. Usually between 2-3 feet from the bottom of the tire to the ground. There have been a couple occasions where it was close to draggin' the bumper.

I tried 18 psi. Didn't work for me. I got all the way down to 15 psi and there wasn't that much improvement. 20 psi netted me a 2.4 60 ft., 18 psi 1.8 60 ft, 16 psi 1.4 60 ft. It may be the suspension that I need to adjust.

Yeah, the travel is a bit tight, but I wanted to play it safe since I was wheeling pretty easily with my cam only motor and I figured a much more aggressive setup with a good 150+ more hp, I'd better play it safe.

But yes, it is better to have the wheels off the ground to put the weight on the tires, but too much is a waste.

I plan on increasing the travel a half inch to 2 1/2", I just hope I don't do a huge wheel stand.

Wow, 4" of travel. That would be TOO much for me. 2-3" is about what I should be running.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 AM
9 Second Club

Maybe 4" will be too much for me too but I have the wheelie bars to bail me out.
Keep us posted I'm very interested in how this plays out for you so I can possibly copy your success, hehe.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Tires suck or your have so much converter you can't hook it?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2 step

225-343-9029
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club NA

tektrans, yeah I don't have wheelie bars and I'm trying to stay away from them.

Pro Stock John, well...a lot of people have had good luck with these tires and it has been said that they should 60 ft. BETTER than a slick because the stiffer sidewall with react faster. I however can't get them to bite. But at the same time, I probably do have too much converter because it was built for the cam only motor and I'm sure it's seeing way more slippage/stall speed.

MADMAN, ya know, I have the Lingenfelter all routed nice and neat, but I have yet to use it. All I have to do is unplug the coil pack harnesses and plug them in to the 2 step. Any particular range you suggest? On the other hand, I can't even get the tires to hook off footbrake, so whether or not I have a 2 step isn't going to make a difference. I have the drivetrain loaded with the footbrake, so it's not shocking the tires like it would be on the transbrake/2 step.

One thing I've always wondered was with a 2 step, does it hit the tires harder or softer? This can go both ways. Some will say that it limits the rpms and won't hit the converter as hard, but then on the other hand, some will say that if you limit the rpms, it has more momentum to flash up to it's actual stall speed once the 2 step is released.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

I am going out Sunday to test my new tranz-brake/ 2 step setup. I love the radial tires. 1.35 60 fts all day long off the footbrake. I run 22 psi to 20 psi on my radial slicks. I never go below 20 psi.

Coach
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Out of curiosity, any reason you got away from the ET drags if you had good luck with them? I can understand trying something different, but when you go changing as much as you did by going to the new motor, why not leave the tires alone and run what you know worked?

Just becuase some people have had good luck with a certain tire doesn't mean it's gonna work for everyone.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

The Radial slick is a daum good tire. If you can't hook them off the footbrake you've got suspension issues that need to be addressed. In other words your front suspension is to tight.
Change your limiters for more travel and loosen your front shocks so the front end will rise easier to get the weight transfer you need.

Like Coach stated, run 20-22lbs in them. I always had the best luck with 22lbs. I've even seen people run as much as 25lbs in them with excellent results.
My best 60 off the footbrake was a 1.31.

I didn't use the transbrake much since I didn't have a two step. Watching the lights and tach at the same time don't work to well when running a pro tree... LOL ! The two step is a must have for that situation so you can leave at the proper RPM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'd put the 2step at 5000 to start and work from there.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Race your car!

Unless you're lucky enough your converter goes to an rpm that you can put the gas pedal to the floor and let go... but most people aren't that lucky.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
9 Second Club NA

Coach 02 A3 Z/28, how much does your car weigh? What rpm do you leave the line at/stall it up to? I think lighter cars will need less tire pressure, but this is just a guess.

JL ws-6, my ET Drags were already bad. The sidewalls were no good and had been sitting for over 2 years. There was still rubber left, but the sidewalls were giving out. I researched and asked here in the section about what tires to try out and seemed like a lot of people recommened the Hoosier radial slicks. So I figured I'd give them a try. I don't understand your 2nd reply.

Hawkn01, I was thinking the same thing. I plan to loosen the limiters probably 1/2" as there's only 2" of travel right now.

I'm going to address the front end travel, bump the tire pressure back up, and try it again next time I'm out. If the car consistently hooks, then I'll start using my transbrake again.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Out of curiosity, any reason you got away from the ET drags if you had good luck with them? I can understand trying something different, but when you go changing as much as you did by going to the new motor, why not leave the tires alone and run what you know worked?

Just becuase some people have had good luck with a certain tire doesn't mean it's gonna work for everyone.
Not sure if that directed at me but I'll answer it anyway:
For me a few guys at Etown run them and swear by them, also in talking to SoSlow (Tim) and seeing how his car leaves I decided to run them. Also Coach as well. I also like the idea of no or at least less top end sway and a bit higher trap speed.
I agree about some tires don't work for everyone, I had the MT's with the stiff sidewalls and never could get them to hook right.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

[QUOTE=Dragaholic;8660709]Coach 02 A3 Z/28, how much does your car weigh? What rpm do you leave the line at/stall it up to? I think lighter cars will need less tire pressure, but this is just a guess. QUOTE]

3150 with me in her. Footbrake 3700 rpms.

Coach
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by tektrans
Not sure if that directed at me but I'll answer it anyway:
For me a few guys at Etown run them and swear by them, also in talking to SoSlow (Tim) and seeing how his car leaves I decided to run them. Also Coach as well. I also like the idea of no or at least less top end sway and a bit higher trap speed.
I agree about some tires don't work for everyone, I had the MT's with the stiff sidewalls and never could get them to hook right.

Not directed at anyone really, just a general statement. I'm on the same et drag you didn't like, I haven't gone any better then a 1.36 on them yet, but after that 1.36 on the 100 shot I tighten'd up the front end because my dad was freaking out the nose came way up LOL, and I knew it came up but it's hard to tell when you are in the car.. and after doing that the car never ernt better then a 1.40 But, at 3500 lbs..... which doesn't help.

I ran the goodyear radial last year, noone likes them, I hated them at first, but after figuring them out I think they're o.k. 1.46 off the footbrake to a 10.57@ 126, again at 3500 lbs.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

As per my other posts to you on the subject, I love the tires. One thing you might want to try is a taller front runner to "preload" the car towards the rear to be able to get up on the tire better. I use a 27.5" M/T front (at 42 psi).

I leave at 2200 rpm off of 2-step, or a bit less off of footbrake...raceweight is 3130#, 60's usually 1.27-1.29 when it lands before the 60' beam...has been quicker (and slower). Still, about 1-2 runs in 10 on a cold track, I blow them away, all others dead hook.

As per my signature, the pic is on a Hoosier 9" (29.5" radial on 10" rim) at 18-20 psi warm (the lowest I run)...have to look at my notes on the slip. Good luck with the combo. Take care. Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

2 step would be very useful because then you can start off low and work your way up even if you have too much converter. I run my 2 step in my Formy at 3600 and it went 1.35 on DR's which were at 17 psi with the rear shocks at 7 and the fronts at 1.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

I was thinking...even if I increase the travel in the front end from 2" to 2 1/2" is that going to make a difference if I'm not pulling the wheels off the ground? I can see if the wheels were coming off the ground and it was still spinning that it would make a difference increasing the travel, but if it's not even coming up at all, I don't see how it's going to help. I could be completely wrong, I'm just stating my opinion. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Hookin' Hoosier radial slicks w/a leightweight car & transbrake