Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushing Water ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pushing Water ????'s

What do you guy's use to collect the water in when you are pushing water down the track so it dosn't get all over the track and somehting bad happens?
Thank's in advance.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Overflow can, like the one that summit sells, mount it in the spare tire well so if it does overflow the water doesn't hit the tires.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't push water. Take out some more timing.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Overflow can.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Seal the Coolant system and overflow.....

Mine would push it out the Rad Cap.....
Redoing that this yr....
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

recirculating/recovery systems are suppose to move some water into the recovery tank when you get system pressures above the cap rating.

completely sealing the system is a great way to pop hoses off, split hoses, and break radiators. Put a higher pressure cap on it before you seal it up.

Best thing is a larger capacity overflow, a recirc style cap and have the overflow go to the bottom of the overflow so the system will draw back in when it cools.

Move a few ounces is normal, a couple quarts is not.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Race your car!

y2k is correct, as soon as I got rid of my stock overflow, and went to a non return style, it always gets a little bit in it, even when driving really easy on the street. If you don't have a recirculating style overflow, it will always get some, and you will have to add some to the radiator on a regular basis, old school style.

Or, like mentioned, put the overflow hose on the bottom, and then you can have the thign suck some fluid back if ya must. Sealing the system, very bad idea.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Matt would your reply change any for a car that isnt going to be driven on the street???
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
Don't push water. Take out some more timing.
That would be nice,but I believe the boost pressure is going to cause it this time. Hopefully no, but I will be going up to 25psi.
I like the idea of putting the can in the rear.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Definitely put the can in the rear or you could be sorry.. My overflow line was going to the top and it kept filling up the overflow and overheating as well as spraying water out everywhere. So, I put the line on the bottom and now it just sucks it back out when needed.. I'll be putting the tank in the wheel well now just in case..
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
That would be nice,but I believe the boost pressure is going to cause it this time. Hopefully no, but I will be going up to 25psi.
I like the idea of putting the can in the rear.

Boost doesn't cause heads to lift......Detonation does. You can run 30lbs and if it tunned correctly and have the right fuel and plugs for your combo you shouldn't have one single problem.

Make sure you check your plugs and get some good readings off of them. It will tell you when your combo is right. (fuel octane,timing,AFR)

What you are doing is a good option but hopefully you will not need it. Start off very conservative and work it out with the plugs.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

guess who; i say that good old horsepower can lift the heads as well

we aren't searching around for fancy gaskets, o rings and giant head studs/more head studs because we plan on detonating the **** out of our engines..

i run a small front mount overflow, 3 quart. it works like stock, and if i fill it more than 1/3 on any particular track pass.. i call it a day and phone in another set of head gaskets

thats with the old 4 bolt block anyway.

last year it did cross my mind to have a sweet high flow overflow sytem done up.. but then i figured it would be money better spent to fix the actual problem, not to make a better band aid.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
guess who; i say that good old horsepower can lift the heads as well

we aren't searching around for fancy gaskets, o rings and giant head studs/more head studs because we plan on detonating the **** out of our engines..

i run a small front mount overflow, 3 quart. it works like stock, and if i fill it more than 1/3 on any particular track pass.. i call it a day and phone in another set of head gaskets

thats with the old 4 bolt block anyway.

last year it did cross my mind to have a sweet high flow overflow sytem done up.. but then i figured it would be money better spent to fix the actual problem, not to make a better band aid.
I agree its the 4 bolts per cyl.

I didnt have the extra $$ for the LSX Block this yr, trying a few ne things to see if they help this yr.
Sooner or later ill go with the LSX Block...

Kyle
Old 03-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Race your car!

After looking at the world block, I'm starting to think that might be a better way to go.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
9 Second Club

Well........I have had some conversation with a well known tuner. "With 1/2 head studs and cometic gaskets there is no way that the head will lift without detonation. He is making well over 2K hp." Outlaw drag radial car. I have not had even one drip of coolant in my overflow with the 1/2 in head studs and cometic and my makes over 1K to the wheels with nitrous of all things.