Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A disappointing 13.4's (Need help!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A disappointing 13.4's (Need help!)

Well I finally had time to take my car out to the track. I was kind of pissed that I never had time because of work to take my car stock, but oh well. Let me start by saying I'm not all that happy with my times at all, its about a full second more then I wanted, I personally think that speed inc might have installed my converter wrong or not tune it right? Also I notice the RPM's bog like I'm hitting the rev limited on 1/2 the shift's and once I would reach the end of the track usually going 101-104 the RPM's keep bogging back and forth...

Here's performance and susension mods:
SLP Lid w/ K&N Filter
SLP Loudmouth
Vig Torque Converter (3200 stall)
B&M Supercooler (Trans cooler)
Speed Inc Basic tune
Eibach Sportline spirngs
SLP Strut Tower Brace
BMR Adj Panhard rod
BMR Relocation Brackets
***Ran with 18 Z06 rims with Michelin sport tires.
------------ Here's a few stock items ------------
Fully loaded 2000 Camaro Z28
2.73 gears
Stock themostat

Now here are my 2 best runs (only ran 4)

Reaction -- .668
60 ft ----- 2.085
1/4 ET ---- 13.484
1/4 MPH --- 104.88

Reaction -- .677
60 ft ----- 1.997
1/4 ET ---- 13.439
1/4 MPH --- 101.82

So I thought with my mods I'm supposted to be in the mid 12's, high 12's at worst? My friend tim has about the same things done except his is stock height and a few extra little bolt on's and he ran 12.6 (Which we still thought wasen't the best).
Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: A disappointing 13.4's

You definitely need better tires such as nitto's or equal. You must get the sixty foot down--no if's or maybe. In all honestly you should be running around 12.50's give or take some with current mods. When I had a vig 3200 on my car, the only way it hooked was with Hal shocks front and back with front drag springs. I would recommend the 3:73 gears. I am trying to help and try to cover some of the things I notice. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tenth in the first sixty feet is worth ~ 1.5 tenths in the 1/4. So, if you get some tires, and get your 60 down to, say, 1.6, that would take ~ .485 off of your 60 ft time, and make you ~ .725 quicker in the 1/4. (Give or take, realistically maybe .5 or .6, which would put you right at a 12.80 or 12.90. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

even if he 60's better his mph seems kind of low, or is it just me? :dunno:
Old 07-20-2003, 02:38 AM
Customizing Director

See now I was kind of finding it hard to belive that if I put on the 16's with better tires that it would drop me to close to a second faster?

Also this whole boggin issue once I reach 100 seems weird. I mean Speed Inc said they rid the speed limiter. And I really think my MPH does seem low... when I did a crap run just for the hell of it my MPH was 108...
Old 07-20-2003, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your converter is killing some mph and your 2.73 gears aren't helping either. Still, there is a problem somewhere. You should be sitting on ET Streets with a 3200 stall 'verter. Drop the hammer and cut 1.6 60's all day long. I bet the chrome Z06's are heavy too. Did you remove the spare/jack, floormats, loose change, yada yada yada?

Oh, please tell me you did the TB Bump Stop Mod or at least checked out the TB to make sure it opens fully. Mine was roughly 75% open. I picked up 2 tenths after I did it on my '00 Z28. I just saw in your sig that your car is "fully loaded". I bet it's very heavy which will contribute to slow ET's. What was the weather like? Hot & humid weather will kill mph too. I'd talk to whoever tuned your car.

...oh, and by the way you were right. You do not want to see my Cobra any time soon. :p
Old 07-20-2003, 03:48 AM
Customizing Director

unit213 - Well I didn't remove anything from the interior because I want to run it pretty much as is. I did have a cheepo set of cloth floor mats in their tho to make sure the pedal goes down.

To be honest I never checked the TB, but will probably be doing that when I wake up. The weather seemed pretty good for racing, cool breeze and a little bit chilly out. It was a tad humid still.

Speed Inc installed the converter and did the tuning. I might have to have a talk with them because the bogging between shifts doesn't seem good.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

I would have talked to Speed Inc a long time ago, like before you made the post. First of all you really have nothing done to your car as far as performance goes, just a catback, a lid and a converter. That converter isn't going to help as much if you don't help it out (more HP, traction, etc). When you had it tuned what did it dyno? Also as stated the car is heavy, that makes a major difference too. If you want to see some better times you will have to add more mods, have different wheels/tires for the track, and maybe some HALs would help too. Just don't put all the blame on Speed Inc. Call them up and dicuss it with them and I'm sure they would be glad to help you out.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

The "bog" as you describe at the shift is probably one of two things: either you are barely hitting the rev limiter, causing the front of the car to "nose over", or its the dreaded torque management. Speed INCs "Basic Tune" is supposed to remove torque management, but I have issues with the tuning that was done on my car ($450 dyno "full tune"). Anyways, you need to autotap it to determine if you're hitting the rev limiter, or T/M is to blame.

As far as the rest of your run, your poor 60 and 2.73s is KILLING any MPH that you should have. My heavy (3700 lbs) bolt on car (headers, orp, catback, ftra, pulleys, TP4400) only went 108.XXMPH and thats with 4.10s. Your car, the way it is set up (loaded, lowered, heavy wheels, non-hooking tires, etc) is about as far away from dragstrip friendly that it can get. If you had some tires, you could probably cut a good .4 or .5 off of your 60 ft times, which would translate to .6-.8 in the 1/4.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just don't put all the blame on Speed Inc.
He didn't blame them. He's posting asking for help & opinions. The post title would've said "Speed Inc. F*cked UP My Car" if he was blaming them.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Customizing Director

He didn't blame them. He's posting asking for help & opinions. The post title would've said "Speed Inc. F*cked UP My Car" if he was blaming them.
Exactly. I'm not blaming them, but it seems like that can be a very possible issue. I told them to remove TM, but it seems like maybe it is still their? I was told that its only one easy code to turn on and off. And then you are giving me a bunch of attitude for not calling them sooner, but how am I supposted to magically know of how the car runs at WOT when this was my 1st time going to the track with everything installed AND speed inc was closed yesterday. I'm not risking losing my perfect record to go WOT on the streets.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Customizing Director

SPANKY LS1 - It seems like I am hitting the rev limiter. It wouldn't bounce back a few times then finally grap. But at the end of the track going little over 100MPH it didn't seem like it was grabbing anymore. Also next time I have a chance to get to the track I will bolt on my 16's.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

MFBA track rental is next weekend. Ask Speed to bring LS1 Edit with them.

Honestly you don't seem to know whether you are hitting the rev limiter or getting some tq mgmt, so you might want to have an experienced person drive the car and give you some ideas. I got a mostly stock 00 to go 12.85@110mph (FTRA, cutout, lid, filter, stock wheels, 3.23's) in great spring year last year... Look me up if you maybe want me to drive it or suggest another driver who runs good with similar mods.

I'd be looking for a 12.7-12.8 right now because I'm unsure of your raceweight.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Customizing Director

Well john I wouldn't mind having you test my car, I'm not doing anything today if you are free? I live around the Downers grove area. I did want to goto the track rental but I have work , so unless I can call off I won't be able to go.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Oops I have my mom in town (she lives on Long Island) so I can't do that...

I'd like to see your MPH increase to about 105mph right now. I'd like to see a 12.8@105mph to start. Hitting the rev limiter on shifts will sound like a "tap tap tap." TQ mgmnt will make the car nose over on shifts. You will see negative timing on the shifts via a scan tool.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Customizing Director

Thats alright john. I plan to hit at least one track again this week. Really wanna see if I can make it to US41 on SAT. As for the bogging, it seems like the car is probably shifting late, then finally grabs, which would maybe explain the lower times. I think with the 18's and all I should be hitting that 12.8's like you say, and then possibly 12.5's with 16's. I must say that I'm a lot more into drag racing now.

I also e-mailed Speed Inc since they are open and we are gonna try to see if their is anything wrong.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Customizing Director

Just saw a friend's time slip and he ran 13.1 with his 02 stock with 2.0 60ft . My car is slow.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

I must say that I'm a lot more into drag racing now.
Yes, it's addicting isn't it.

My car is slow.
No it's not, but everyone says that to themselves, hehe.

I still think that if you get the amp, sub, jack, and spare out of the trunk (150lbs savings) and get some drag radials, you're 60ft will drop to the 1.7s or faster for sure, which will get you to about a 13.0 in the 1/4.

Also, the issue of hitting the rev limiter or torque management (which ever ends up being the problem) is definitely holding you back some too.

So those two things, and it's mid-12s for ya.

And don't worry about the rev limiter/torque management problem, Speed Inc will make it right!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly. I'm not blaming them, but it seems like that can be a very possible issue. I told them to remove TM, but it seems like maybe it is still their? I was told that its only one easy code to turn on and off. And then you are giving me a bunch of attitude for not calling them sooner, but how am I supposted to magically know of how the car runs at WOT when this was my 1st time going to the track with everything installed AND speed inc was closed yesterday. I'm not risking losing my perfect record to go WOT on the streets.
All right, I appologize for ASSuming that. That just seemed to be the only thing you were looking at though. Those 18's are going to hurt more than help you, especially on the front of the car, trust me, I know from experience. Hope you get it all figured out. Let us know what Speed says. Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:20 AM
Customizing Director

CamaroCain - Ok thanks, I forgive you . I called speed inc in the morning today and we both had time around 2ish so I was able to take it in. Gave Larry the keys and he had one of the guys take the car with LS1edit. After about 30-40mins he finished driving the car around and said the shift points needed to be re-tuned, so he did that and that it was a little low on trans fluid (dumb me never checked at the track), so he filled that up again. As soon as I started driving the car I noticed a difference. The car seems to now shift better and harder, the car seems more reactive with the throttle and it has a more "punch me" temptation to it. Also when I gave it WOT the RPM's weren't bouncing, it shifted. But this is just HWY driving, we'll see how it really does now on the track again (Gonna try to take it to RT66 after work tomorrow).

I was gonna put the 16's on, but decided I wanted to see how big of a improvement the re-tune did. I might have my friend take his car and load the 16's into their and change them at the track after a few runs. But I know next time I goto the track after tues I'll for sure run with 16's and do some weight reduction. I also read a few things about drag racing that might help me out.