Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration/noise after 9 inch install

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vibration/noise after 9 inch install

just got done installing the moser 9 inch, LCA's, PHB, and midwest chassis cross mounted TA.

now when im driving theres a slight humming/knocking sound coming from under the front floor boards, it goes away if I lightly touch the brakes, does anyone have a clue what this could be?

and if i should still drive it?

Chad
Old 03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the TA might be hitting the body. Check to see if there are any rub marks underneath. If there is just vibration, you probably just need to adjust the TA angle. Could be a combination of the two.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know the Midwest Chassis has a more centered torque arm location so it shouldn't hit the trans tunnel unless your car is "really lowered", just go over and make sure everything is tight, if the problem continues call the sponsor and ask for help, he works with rear ends more than us tech members.

Put it on 4 jack stands so all the weight is on the car and look under, recheck the pinion like suggested before, make sure everything is tight, brakes, rims, u joint straps, control arms, everything.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
As far as I know the Midwest Chassis has a more centered torque arm location so it shouldn't hit the trans tunnel unless your car is "really lowered", just go over and make sure everything is tight, if the problem continues call the sponsor and ask for help, he works with rear ends more than us tech members.

Put it on 4 jack stands so all the weight is on the car and look under, recheck the pinion like suggested before, make sure everything is tight, brakes, rims, u joint straps, control arms, everything.
yeah called eric, and he said it might possibly be hitting.

its extremely close...can't fit my pinky between the body and the torque arm up top. I think its tapping it.

pinion angle is set at -2

so is this a big problem?

Chad
Old 03-14-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"so is this a big problem?"
Could be, as the arm hitting the body on a launch, can/will push the bar over, and possibly cause the tubes to fold over.
Is the rearend centered in the body?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would "clearance" the body with a BFH and call it a day. As far as the -2 pinion angle, that is usually a good starting point. If you have a lot of vibration, I would back it off closer to 0 and see if it helps. Basically just play around with it a bit until it works.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"so is this a big problem?"
Could be, as the arm hitting the body on a launch, can/will push the bar over, and possibly cause the tubes to fold over.
Is the rearend centered in the body?
yes

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson88
I would "clearance" the body with a BFH and call it a day. As far as the -2 pinion angle, that is usually a good starting point. If you have a lot of vibration, I would back it off closer to 0 and see if it helps. Basically just play around with it a bit until it works.
bring out the BFH it is then.

Chad
Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Another item:
If the u-joint straps are overtorqued, it can distort the cups, lock up the needles, and generally raise hell.[Noise and vibration] U-joint life is drastically reduced.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the mount of the tq arm to the rear end have 2 sets of holes? If so cut the inside set off and slide it over....no BFH needed.

David
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

he has the tsp duals on this car and the torque arm is slightly higher compared to others. the clearances are tight with this setup, due to the crossmember position and the type of exhaust. theres a possibility that the bolts aren't tight enough in the torque arm link, which will cause a rattle on driveline "float" situations. this is more than likely the situation before the arm contacting the tunnel anywhere.

the bracket on the rearend does not have two sets of holes, as it was designed to not have tunnel clearance problems at the rear.