Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen BBC camaro pic at track

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st gen BBC camaro pic at track

i dont post pics much but here is a pic of the 69 camaro at a heads up event that we got DQ'd at for being a tube chassis car.... which is far from the truth.

its a back halfed car ( right under the driver) and then chopped at the firewall and had a strut front end put under it with 20" of stock frame rail and has the stock metal body on it.

car ran a 5.65 first time on the juice then next pass ran a 5.54.... needless to say while we were cutting .410 lights and runing a .25 seconds faster than the #2 qualifier we got thrown out on our heads and was told to leave...
best time i've had racing in a long time!

a poor little 509 and a double spray bar plate with 88 square and 32* timing sure can bring out the cry babies around here
Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you are pretty close to being a chassis car hahaha.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
7 Second Club

pretty close and being one is totally different.... how do you think heads up racing gets faster and faster?..... its from bending the rules, not breaking them.... i cant help it they accidentally made a class that my car was built for... lol

that was the best track trip in a long time though
Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha, 20 inches of frame rail that's great. I'd have to see it to pass my own judgement.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If they kicked you out it was probably for a pretty good reason other than being faster

Back half and strut front half doesnt exactly sound like it will fit any kind of street type heads up racing. My old vette was back halfed and front halfed and had about 4' of stock OE frame rail and guess what, it was considered a full chassis car.

Last edited by kp; 03-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM
7 Second Club

Agreed, about as close to a tube chassis cars as you can get. But just my $.02
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet car man, where's that at? I've been to 3 tracks in KY but not London, Bluegrass or Bowling Green.

And that's a chassis car, sorry .. But a SWEET chassis car, wish mine was.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
pretty close and being one is totally different.... how do you think heads up racing gets faster and faster?..... its from bending the rules, not breaking them.... i cant help it they accidentally made a class that my car was built for... lol

that was the best track trip in a long time though
I agree, I am just saying there is a gray line were a lot of people will say you are past it haha. Anything more then half and I think most will say you are pushing it hahaha.

I do nothing but heads up, no rules.

Im not going to let somone say "you can't do that"

If you are to slow then thats your problem, if I am to slow then thats my problem.

There is allways cry babies in racing but you have to be honest with yourself sometimes and know that if you are a 95% chassis car then you will run into issues.

Its like someone thats got a full fiberglass car will full lexan but has steel quarters racing in a class thats for stock bodies.......
Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 PM
7 Second Club

the rules only stated any rear suspension any DOT tire and no tube chassis cars.... its not a fiberglass body or 4 link or double frame rail car... it mentioned nothing about front suspension... its their own fault for leaving a gray area.... its like in outlaw 10.5... they have stock style front ends but right beside it are the racing struts... gray areas are going to be pushed in any heads up event.... thats why these racing organization have about 4 pages of rules.... this series had 4 sentences....

if you make it through tech and first round eliminations i dont care what they say they have to let you finish the race....
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
7 Second Club

this car would fit nostalgia prostreet by nmca also.... with a 150lb weight penalty... thats what it was built to run any way....

what i dont get is people get pissy about putting struts on old cars whenever these 4th gen cars come factory with them....

the real reason i wanted it "strutted" was ease of steering at high speed and safety... we didnt really drop alot of weight since we kept the metal front cap and headlights and bumper....

oh well.... it will run the unlimited class probably with a 632 with a little squeeze before the year is over any ways...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
7 Second Club

you would have to race with these clowns to know what im talking about... they will find a reason to DQ you if you go much faster than the "pack" there are about 5 racers that actually run the racing series... if they start complaining then you better pack your **** and head home....

needless to say we dont race in that series much more than a few select times... too many drama queens....
Old 03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
7 Second Club

we race benton, il; benton, MO; Harrisburg, IL; Gleason, TN; Jackson, TN; street race at an airport in paducah, ky; bowling green, ky a few times a year; and louisville a few times a year also....

i usually go race with about 5 other guys i know we all have limited DOT tire cars....

when and where we go depends on weather and which has the best race going on... most of those tracks are within 3 hours except for jackson (4 hours) and louisville (3.5 hours)

the old airport is usually the funest place.... alot more laid back, and just out there for fun (it is completely legal by the way... a doctor we know owns it.... we are about to put a tree and timers out there)

Originally Posted by Hrod382
Sweet car man, where's that at? I've been to 3 tracks in KY but not London, Bluegrass or Bowling Green.

And that's a chassis car, sorry .. But a SWEET chassis car, wish mine was.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Tell them to kiss your ***, big tired old school cars rule That's a nice ride, fill us in with what you're running in it motor/chassis wise.

32* timing, how much are you spraying? I ran my old sbc at 38* timing and pulled 11 for the nitrous. Here is a pic of my old terd, big tire, tube frame back half car
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen BBC camaro pic at track-nova-2-s.jpg   1st gen BBC camaro pic at track-mod_nova_copy1-2-.jpg  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
kp
8 Second Club

this car would fit nostalgia prostreet by nmca also.... with a 150lb weight penalty... thats what it was built to run any way....

what i dont get is people get pissy about putting struts on old cars whenever these 4th gen cars come factory with them....

the real reason i wanted it "strutted" was ease of steering at high speed and safety... we didnt really drop alot of weight since we kept the metal front cap and headlights and bumper....

oh well.... it will run the unlimited class probably with a 632 with a little squeeze before the year is over any ways...
Actually 4th gens are coil over shocks with dual a-arms, not struts.

Anytime you put struts on the front of a car that didnt come with them you just excluded it from almost every heads up 'street car' class out there. NMCA NPS they allow tube chassis cars, all you have to do is run 7.50s in the 1/4 with a .030 n2o jet on a single fogger to be competitive
Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
Tell them to kiss your ***, big tired old school cars rule That's a nice ride, fill us in with what you're running in it motor/chassis wise.

32* timing, how much are you spraying? I ran my old sbc at 38* timing and pulled 11 for the nitrous. Here is a pic of my old terd, big tire, tube frame back half car
I love that car!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28

325ish cc pro topline head, 12 bolt 4.30 gear, 6 series msd, 950hp holley, strange front struts, vacuum pump, belt drive, glide w/ electric shift, the tire is a 31x13.5 stiff side wall (i think thats the right size) 88fuel and 88nitrous on the double spray bar plate and we left 32* timing in it with pump 110 octane gas... turned it on .4 in to the run with the delay box that was in the car...lol

the reason we could leave the timing that high and not toast it is because the fact that its only 1/8th mile and we knew it would dead hook on a frozen pond.... **** blows up fast when you spin the tires/free wheel the motor...

however it that pass had been a 6.0 with that tune up it would have cooked the motor also.... we were pretty sure it would go atleast a 5.75 no problem so with that setup it wouldnt fry itself....

we've ran nitrous a loooooong time...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
7 Second Club

i just cant wait for my 02 z28 to get done this year.... it will be a stock suspension 481 bbc with 2 kits on a 275,65,15 tire.... we should be able to go 5.50s pretty easily on that as well.... it wont be a 25.5 car though as it will be ran 8th mile only... it will have a 12pnt of our design and a funny car cage with X'ed door bars.... when the car is inspected if its very close to 25.5 we may go ahead and add the floor bars... just depends how strict or leanient the guy is who certifies it...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Actually 4th gens are coil over shocks with dual a-arms, not struts.

Anytime you put struts on the front of a car that didnt come with them you just excluded it from almost every heads up 'street car' class out there. NMCA NPS they allow tube chassis cars, all you have to do is run 7.50s in the 1/4 with a .030 n2o jet on a single fogger to be competitive
it just takes BIG motor to be in with that group.... and BIG dollars

last part is the hardes part
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
kp
8 Second Club

it just takes BIG motor to be in with that group.... and BIG dollars

last part is the hardes part
To run heads up in any bigger series cost big dollars, thats why bracket racing is so popular

You could run 4.90s at most of the local tracks around here with a 6pt and a zip tied in seat, as long as you got the 50.00 entry fee and have all the lug nuts on the car (4 lug mustangs anyhow) you are good to go..
Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
To run heads up in any bigger series cost big dollars, thats why bracket racing is so popular

You could run 4.90s at most of the local tracks around here with a 6pt and a zip tied in seat, as long as you got the 50.00 entry fee and have all the lug nuts on the car (4 lug mustangs anyhow) you are good to go..
i refuse to bracket race.... it is odd how they dont tech 1/8th mile cars.... im glad they dont because the cert's they have now i'd be SOL... as would everyone else...