Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogart D10s on the Street?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never use radial 165 tires on any of our Bogart wheels...I wouldn't recommend them actually for any drag wheel. They will stress the wheel more, they aren't load rated nor speed rated for most of the cars that are using them.

TS6...direct connection between using them. Monocoques = Bogarts fwiw...old name, same product build.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BFG is now making a radial tire for these wheels exactly. a 165/80R15 and they are speed rated and the load weight is really close. There is an article on BFG's website about them and they were designed for the "Hot Rod" scene. I have a pair on order from Tirerack for my welds... $62.00 each
Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 AM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't use any radial front tire on ANY drag wheel. Only tire I noted was a kumho tire which was NOT rated for the typical skinny width wheel, only meant for a max pressure of 35psi wrong overall diameter and NOT a good tire period for the cars. Any load rating that you had when you increased pressure to what the typical racer runs...you may as well throw many specs away.

I did not see the BFG or any ratings. Even if there were…The overall tire diameter would be incorrect. Let’s say they were within specs for your car and fit a skinny wheel…I STILL would NOT use any radial FRONT tire for a wheel that was built as a drag wheel.

What you guys may overlook is, some are stuffing the incorrect width tire on a smaller wheel stressing shells...then typically inflating them to 40-50psi creating additional stress. The tires are also very stiff which is very hard on ANY front drag shell wheel.

I see some of the guys using them for “added” steering/handling (or they want a cheap tire). The “better” steering /handling that one would see relates to stress and side-loading issues that is very bad for any drag wheel. The front wheels take quite a bit of stress due to weight distribution among others…Period…doesn’t matter what drag wheel manufacture wheels you use. Some state their radial tire is lighter...so that is why they use them. Well they are the same weight as a 1572 tire (which is a bit underrated for the typical heavy F-body setup) and two pounds lighter then a well suited 1573 tire. If you want a tire that gives you much more benefits and weight savings, go to an ET drag tire that typically weighs 11-12lbs...MUCH lighter then the radial.

If some want a better steering/handling setup, don’t use a slick and skinny setup on the street.

Do yourselves a favor; do not use these radial tires on front drag wheels just because they are inexpensive or help your handling/steering. Your front wheels will be stressed to a greater degree further increasing the chance of wheel failure.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Steve, so are my MT Sportmans no good?

The MT ET versions are not street legal, thats why I didn't get those...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Good info Steve!!!!! I know you are right about the radials.... Im waiting on the BFG's for the skinnies but I do not daily drive my GTO. I will however drive it occasionally on the street but mostly at the track with the proper amount of inflation.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

My bogarts were stolen , I hope that failure like the last one kills him .
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z-ya
My bogarts were stolen , I hope that failure like the last one kills him .
lol. Good one!

MetallicaMatt, the sportsmans are fine.

Scoggin, I'm glad you posted your comment. Your correct about drag wheels, they should not be used on the street. All drag wheel manufactures do not suggest it. Everyone is taking a risk when they use any manufactures drag wheel for a purpose it is not intended for. It's very very rare that we see rear-wheel failures like that. That car looks like a mustang using the stock front wheels and rear drag wheels. A very dangerous combo both on the street and on the track.

Taking a stab at his driving habbits since he used his stock front wheel...he may have drove or used it in a rather spirited way. The main reason I'd see someone doing this is they want better handling characteristics for street driving. This gives the driver the ability to take hard turns very easily. Full slick/skinny combo's really don't allow you to do so. This will take out any drag wheels rather quickly. I'm not making any excuses...there are always a few sides to a story though which some do not see. I've only seen a few F-body customers cars do that in ~13 years. No one likes to see failures, but it does happen.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Understood Steve. When he called about the broken wheel, they had him send the other one in (on their dime) to be checked out as well just in case, great customer service. He has front runners for the drag strip, but when he drives on the street he won't run on them for safety purposes -skinnies can be downright dangerous on the street if you have to swerve spur of the moment or brake very hard. He doesn't hit up corners, but even a regular 20-25mph turn on the street is more than a drag wheel sees at the track. It's not that they are bad wheels, they are one of the best for the weight/$. Bumps, potholes etc can add up as well on a wheel that's built for a specific purpose.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-02-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

hurm, now i'm a little nervous to even drive them to the track when I go

it IS just a 5 minute drive. I just don't have a way to carry the wheels, and change them out at the track
Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt

it IS just a 5 minute drive. I just don't have a way to carry the wheels, and change them out at the track
They are good wheels and can handle being used, no doubt. Extended street use can add up, but you shouldn't need to worry about putting a few miles on them, they are far from weak wheels

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt

Matt,

We literally have thousands of F-bodies over a decade using our Bogart wheels without issues. From count, its less than 20 people to date that have ever damaged a wheel on an F-body so you have little to worry about. We don't like failures, nobody does. Racing or using products for what they are not intended can put extreme stresses on components whereas things can/do happen. As with any racing components, period inspection is important. Good judgment and using properly maintained and suggested equipment is key.

Rest assured, we do stand 100% behind all of our products and support our customers fully.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't be worried. SJM has great wheels and customer service. We haven't had any problems. I'm running a set on my personal car as well. They are great quality and look awesome!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Matt,

We literally have thousands of F-bodies over a decade using our Bogart wheels without issues. From count, its less than 20 people to date that have ever damaged a wheel on an F-body so you have little to worry about. We don't like failures, nobody does. Racing or using products for what they are not intended can put extreme stresses on components whereas things can/do happen. As with any racing components, period inspection is important. Good judgment and using properly maintained and suggested equipment is key.

Rest assured, we do stand 100% behind all of our products and support our customers fully.

Okay good to hear!!

Now I know why I bought my wheels through you guys!!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
TS6...direct connection between using them. Monocoques = Bogarts fwiw...old name, same product build.

Really? HMMMMMMM

Ill remember that if I have to go to a 15X10.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Those pics are the reason I bought Convo Pro's for my street/strip car. Not the lightest wheel, but I believe the strongest from the way they are made. It appears they are made different from the lighter wheels.

I do drive them on the street, has 15x4's with the M/T sportsman fronts.

David
Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Those pics are the reason I bought Convo Pro's for my street/strip car. Not the lightest wheel, but I believe the strongest from the way they are made. It appears they are made different from the lighter wheels.

I do drive them on the street, has 15x4's with the M/T sportsman fronts.

David
Assuming they state "for drag use only" as drag wheels do...feel no safer to using them on the street as a street wheel. If they work for you, that is all that matters. Summits street 15" wheel may be more durable...they call it a street wheel not a drag wheel.

There are real and quantitative benefits to a lightweight wheel. I’m not stating our wheels are the next best thing to apple pie and everyone should own them. There are options available on the market each person has to make their own decision based on what they prefer.

The idea of a drag wheel is to reduce weight for racing benefits. The lighter the component, the better 60ft times, better braking distances among others will be seen. Lets face it, if your purchasing a drag wheel, the idea IS to reduce as much rotating mass to increase performance isn't it??

Drag wheels are terrible on the street regarding handling characteristics...so there is little benefit to using them on the street. Skinny wheels/tires don't have stopping power nor turning ability. The large sidewall for both front/rears give the car a loose feeling in comparison to a smaller sidewall.

I've seen a trend of some wheel manufactures making street version 15 inch wheels...BUT a 15" wheel setup handles terribly in comparison to even a stock setup. Taking a 15" setup that ends up being close in weight to a stock wheel...removes the main benefit of using a slick/skinny combo. All that is left is a terrible handing car that gives the user poor drag racing benefits and poor street handling characteristics. Some of my road race setup 17" wheels are LIGHTER or same weight than some of the 15" "street" drag setups.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After seeing a side-by-side comparison of a cheap radial tire and my M/T Sportsman 8 plys...I can see why the wheels are more prone to failure with the cheap radials. I could easily fold the radial in half by barely putting any weight on it while in the upright position. I could place nearly all of my weight on the Sportsman and it would still hold it's shape. This adds significant strenght to your wheel...especially once it is inflated to spec.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

So, Steve I put the road race wheels on mine . I put a NT01 on the front and drive on the street. I don't daily drive it but proably see about 3-4000 miles a year. (1 year so far on them no problems)

My car has a lot of weight reduction and I would guess is proably 3100-3200lbs. I drive the car same as before when it had stock wheels. The smaller NT01's seem to make up the difference in grip inspite of the narrower width 205x17 tire vs the 245x16 I was running.

I do not road race these but I usually don't baby them either, outside of watching for potholes etc.

This should be ok, right, given any unforeseens.
Dave
Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Getav8
So, Steve I put the road race wheels on mine . I put a NT01 on the front and drive on the street. I don't daily drive it but proably see about 3-4000 miles a year. (1 year so far on them no problems)

My car has a lot of weight reduction and I would guess is proably 3100-3200lbs. I drive the car same as before when it had stock wheels. The smaller NT01's seem to make up the difference in grip inspite of the narrower width 205x17 tire vs the 245x16 I was running.

I do not road race these but I usually don't baby them either, outside of watching for potholes etc.

This should be ok, right, given any unforeseens.
Dave
Dave,

You'll have no problem with whatever tires you use. Our road race wheels are a different animal. I'd put them up just about any street aluminum wheel...
Old 04-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Coal Mining Director

Here's a picture of Bogart Road Race wheels. 16x7 up front, 15x10 out back...pretty light and drive them anywhere with radials front and back.
Attached Thumbnails Bogart D10s on the Street?-wheelsup-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bogart D10s on the Street?