Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 11in narrowed moser with 15x12s

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevPower
I have added a washer on each side of the box since the pic was taken but this will give you an idea

Are you worried about that binding up, as the heim joint is going to swivel & obviously cause the joint to contact the metal mounting point.. Might not be an issue on a drag only car, but might be on a street driven car, as mine is.

If I could safely do it the way that you have it, I could pick up some much needed space, & have a better selection of rims to pick from.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
Are you worried about that binding up, as the heim joint is going to swivel & obviously cause the joint to contact the metal mounting point.. Might not be an issue on a drag only car, but might be on a street driven car, as mine is.

If I could safely do it the way that you have it, I could pick up some much needed space, & have a better selection of rims to pick from.
I have moved it every way there is to move it and it doesnt contact, This isnt a drag car its a street car that will see a ton of street use in fact the wife is gone in it right now.

The only thing i had to do was trim the body a little so the the nut on the heim doesnt hit when it moves.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

See if you can verify this for me or not.. My 9in rearend has been narrowed. I was told by the previous owner that it was cut 3" per side for a total of 6".. Well I just put some 325/50's on the car and they wre rubbing the inner wheel wells and control arms sittin still. I put a set of offset control arms on it from Madman, but they were still rubbing the inner fender. The wheel is a 15x10 Alumastar with a 5" backspacing. It also has a 3/4" aluminum spacer on it already. Last time I checked 5" bs was correct for a fbody with a 10" wheel and narrowed 3" per side. The inner well had already been massaged and the bump stop removed, but that was nowhere near enough. I got a 3lb sledge and beat the **** out of the car for 2 hours until everything cleared good. It looks to me like the rear must be closer to 4" per side... Sound like a safe assumption??

It still has a good bit of room on the outside of the tire between it and the fender lip.. And probably an inch between the inside of the tire and control arm. Probably an inch or less between the inside of the tire and the inner wheel well.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

"The only thing i had to do was trim the body a little so the the nut on the heim doesnt hit when it moves"

Thanks, that's what I was refering to.. I'll just round the edge so it doesn't hit when it swivels.

Quick TA.. My car is mini tubbed, but I can tell you that with the 315's, I have about 3/4" between the tire & lca, with a 15x10 convo pro 5" bs.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
See if you can verify this for me or not.. My 9in rearend has been narrowed. I was told by the previous owner that it was cut 3" per side for a total of 6".. Well I just put some 325/50's on the car and they wre rubbing the inner wheel wells and control arms sittin still. I put a set of offset control arms on it from Madman, but they were still rubbing the inner fender. The wheel is a 15x10 Alumastar with a 5" backspacing. It also has a 3/4" aluminum spacer on it already. Last time I checked 5" bs was correct for a fbody with a 10" wheel and narrowed 3" per side. The inner well had already been massaged and the bump stop removed, but that was nowhere near enough. I got a 3lb sledge and beat the **** out of the car for 2 hours until everything cleared good. It looks to me like the rear must be closer to 4" per side... Sound like a safe assumption??

It still has a good bit of room on the outside of the tire between it and the fender lip.. And probably an inch between the inside of the tire and control arm. Probably an inch or less between the inside of the tire and the inner wheel well.
15x10 on a 7.5 backspace is the right wheel for a stock lenght rear so IMO if you cut 3" off perside the correct wheel to keep the tire in the same spot would be a 15x10 on 4.5 this should fit with stock LCA, Now to run a 5" back space you would have to off set the LCA atleast .5" to clear but because you are running a .75" spacer this would make the wheel as a 4.25 back space and you should have plenty of room if not i would think the rear is narrowed more than the claimed 3"
Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

15x10 on a 7.5 backspace is the right wheel for a stock lenght rear so IMO if you cut 3" off perside the correct wheel to keep the tire in the same spot would be a 15x10 on 4.5 this should fit with stock LCA, Now to run a 5" back space you would have to off set the LCA atleast .5" to clear but because you are running a .75" spacer this would make the wheel as a 4.25 back space and you should have plenty of room if not i would think the rear is narrowed more than the claimed 3"
Thanks! Thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking.. Appreciate it!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
the key is interpretation of the rules. this car (from my understanding) utilizes the stock suspension location but not the exact suspension mounting point. what used to be the inner point of the lca mounting point on the car is now the outter with a new tab welded by chevpower.

atleast that is my take on this and LMR's car
No, ours is still the stock mounting point. The inner point of the lca bracket is still the inner mount. Most of our local stock suspension rules say that all factory mounting points must be used.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOOOO that is one bad bitch!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldRust
No, ours is still the stock mounting point. The inner point of the lca bracket is still the inner mount. Most of our local stock suspension rules say that all factory mounting points must be used.
so you guys cut and weld in the new outter portion of the LCA mount?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's what I understand. I was picking their mind in a thread a long time ago. They narrow the actual LCA mount instead of moving it.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

any pic's showing exactly what thery are doing? I think I know but it would be nice to see it also
Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it sucks you can't move them in for clearance purposes.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Agreed, but you can narrow the hell out of the mount and run a really thin LCA. That'll let you fit a 15x12 with a 30 inch tire. You're probably refering to not being able to slam it down though.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the mini tub you put, my 40" had a ton of over head clearance. Yes you can run a smaller diameter LCA, but reducing tube size diameter is the number on way to kill strength in tubing.
Attached Thumbnails new 11in narrowed moser with 15x12s-p1000270.jpg   new 11in narrowed moser with 15x12s-0188315-r1-026-11as.jpg  
Old 05-17-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Agreed, but you can narrow the hell out of the mount and run a really thin LCA. That'll let you fit a 15x12 with a 30 inch tire. You're probably refering to not being able to slam it down though.
The pics above of the car with orange on it is a 15x12 with a 315/60 and i can slam it as far as you wish with out any problems, That car sits about 2" lower on a 30" tire than my whit car with a 28"
Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I see they are doing is narrowing the lower control arm mount on the axle tube and running no spacers that come with the heim ended lower control arms. The innermost plate is in the stock location and the move the outer side over.

You have to run spacers where the lower control arm mounts to the car.

I trimmed my inside plate on the body back so I could get to the adjuster nut.

I also re inforced it with 1/8 plate and welded it on.

David
Old 05-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS

Correct, the rod end will not function correctly as pictured.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

The pics above of the car with orange on it is a 15x12 with a 315/60 and i can slam it as far as you wish with out any problems, That car sits about 2" lower on a 30" tire than my whit car with a 28"
on the orange one with the 315's you have a 15x12 4"BS on a rear that was narrowed 11"s right? how far in does your mini tub go? i want to run 315's and slam the car on them just like you have it. i have the rear in a shop waiting for me to tell them how much to cut off. i just just scared to cut too much off and not be able to fit the wheels i buy.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by phoenix
on the orange one with the 315's you have a 15x12 4"BS on a rear that was narrowed 11"s right? how far in does your mini tub go? i want to run 315's and slam the car on them just like you have it. i have the rear in a shop waiting for me to tell them how much to cut off. i just just scared to cut too much off and not be able to fit the wheels i buy.
The tire is no where near the mini tub there is more than enough room with the wolf mini tub. The LCA is he biggest issue, narrowed 5.5" perside with a 4" back space the tire is less than a 1/4" from the LCA
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

alsome i am going to have the guy shorten it 11" then, i have a 15x12 with 3 7/8 bs for moke up. i have the wolfe off set LCA so i should be good.

Quick Reply: new 11in narrowed moser with 15x12s