Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogart Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bogart Issues

Friday night test and tune...first night to the track in 2 YEARS!

got my new Bogart D10's on, and my new MT's on them. Then I get flagged down by somebody headed to the pits (THANK GOD)

The guy tells me my wheels are wobbling.

I park it, get out my torque wrench, go all around...all the lugs are fine

Drive it over to the tire shop at the track (where I had them balanced). He has me drive by to take a look. He said, yulp the fronts are wobbling bad. He has me back up to the shop to check the rears. jack up the rear end, put the car in gear and I get out. Its horribly obvious the RIMS are wobbling BAD.

Stevie Wonder could see these things are F'ed up!

Tire guy said its deff. not the tires, and I agree, when i look down, you see the rim itself moving.

Aluminum wheels with an aluminum spacer WELDED onto them. Brand new from Bogart. The only logical thing is that the spacers were welded on slightly wrong. even 1/16th of an inch will make a huge difference.

Whats got me even more pissed is that it is ALL 4 RIMS!!! So my "custom" made rims must have been done by the same guy...same gig, whatever....screwed up

I was hoping to get some test runs in, to get used to the car, check the suspension since I have a drivers ticket for Pinks on June 6th!!

I'll never get new rims in time

I bought these through a sponsor...SJM Manufacturing. Nothing against them, they were great to deal with. I just wanted to put the name in here incase they read this over the weekend.

Anybody else have this issue? I went with Bogarts to avoid grinding on my calipers and for a good quality wheel...and this is what I got

**end vent**
Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that sucks man, get your money back!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Call steve @ sjm. Only thing I can think of is they goe bent when the tires were mounted, but if that's not the case then I am sure Steve will take care of you.

Things can happen to anything that is custom made.

Get ahold of steve, talk to him and see how he wants you to proceed.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

did you happen to drive them on the road or hit some pot holes at high speed. that can cause problems.

But just talk to steve@sjm he will take care of you for sure. I love my Bogarts.

good luck
Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something about this sounds fishy to me... I find it very hard to believe that they sent out four wheels that were all flawed to that extreme.

Are you sure you didnt go through the traps sideways at least once lol.

Something that extreme should have been easily noticed when the wheels were ballanced... unless the person that ballanced them was the one who damaged them and kept quiet hoping it would go unoticed.

Last edited by Jeremiah; 05-25-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Call steve @ sjm. Only thing I can think of is they goe bent when the tires were mounted, but if that's not the case then I am sure Steve will take care of you.

Things can happen to anything that is custom made.

Get ahold of steve, talk to him and see how he wants you to proceed.
I agree, its not hard to bend the outer barrels depending on the machine used and weather the operator knows what there doing.

I understand your upset but you should have given SJM a chance to adress this before posting on the boards... IMO

Last edited by Jeremiah; 05-25-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Call Steve. Great guy who will take the time to help you out. I spent about 30 bucks on some fittings from him and he spent at least a half an hour on the phone helping me.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Like I said, I have no problems with SJM, they've been great. They were closed for the weekend by time I had gotten back home. Not calling them out at all!! Steve spent a ton of time on the phone with me, they are great!

Tires were NOT installed incorrectly, I was right there when they were put on. This guy does thousands of wheels a year and has been doing this for a LONG time.

no damage from street use, or going through the traps sideways lol. This was the first time they were on the car.

wasn't noticed when balanced because they weren't done on a spin balancer. He uses the old method, but he was surpised by how much weight he had to add to balance it out
Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 PM
9 Second Club

I had to add alot on mine as well to balance them correctly.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Banned

First time I've ever heard any issues on Bogarts. I love mine.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

mine appeared the same and it was the machined grove inside for the center cap. i had to trim the lip on the caps, just take off the caps and see if it helps. Steve said it happens on occasion becuse the caps vary.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally I don't run the cetnercaps, I'd rather show off my serospace drag brake hubs, and show off the moser axles. Plus then the tech guy doesn't even ask about the axles, because he can look right at them and see the Moser sticker.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Take the wheels to someone who can spin balance them. They can check runout and then you can call SJM and talk to him. I have had numerous wheels from Bogart and have never had this kind of issue.

225-343-9029
Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 AM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

I had similar issues. My rears had a ton of run-out. They replaced one and fixed the other. Having tires mounted will hurt your argument, as its very easy to now blame the installer. The vendor gave me the "check them out before mounting tires" speech. While its very good advice, you'd think a $1400 set of wheels would be as true as the $600 pro star knock -offs from Jegs. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JBM
I had similar issues. My rears had a ton of run-out. They replaced one and fixed the other. Having tires mounted will hurt your argument, as its very easy to now blame the installer. The vendor gave me the "check them out before mounting tires" speech. While its very good advice, you'd think a $1400 set of wheels would be as true as the $600 pro star knock -offs from Jegs. Good luck.
Exactly! I spent the extra money for quality.

I will remove the center caps and see what happens. maybe that will fix the problems....it would explain why its happening on all 4 wheels
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

SUCESS!!

I removed the center caps and they run straight as an arrow!

Stupid lil things.

I think I might dremel down the bumps on the center caps that caused the issue and try putting them back on...it makes them look so much better.

Plus the sticker on my axels are long gone anyways, so tech will just have to deal
Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear!

I have my new Bogarts mounted/ballanced and ready for my next track appearance, if I have the same problem I know what to look for.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

simple fix!

now i'm back to loving the wheels haha
Old 05-26-2008, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

quite odd that center caps caused runout that was noticeable by someone watching you drive through the pits.

Do the center caps insert from the back of the wheel? If the center caps insert through the back of the wheel, are the wheels not recessed for the lip on the center cap?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

correct, the center cap lip actually smashes between the spacer and the rotor