Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Stands

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Stands

I saw Tim Tosto post up this vid of this Stock Eliminator car doing a huge wheel stand running a 10.30 that's not ungodly fast by any means but I would love to get my wheels up in the air like this. So what do you use and how do you get your all's cars to pull decent wheelstands beside a healthy motor?

Heres the vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fkawxlUUO4
Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

You dont want to do big wheelstands, they just end up costing you big $$$$ and ET for that matter.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not worried about spending cash to have fun and as far as ET loss goes, one of my best friends races a full weight (minus tubbing) Chevy II that runs 6.1x's deadly consistent sits the tires down at the 60' mark at 4'! We adjusted his 4 link and wheelie bars accordingly and it ran the same numbers all night. Some cars love to pack the tires and some don't, I would rather have the problem of standing the car up and put wheelie bars on it than not. So someone has to have some experience to help me out here?!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's not talking about spending money to get the car to stand up, he's saying that you'll more than likely break a ton of stuff coming down. I've seen many cars break oil pans, blocks, trans cases, front suspension parts, wheels, headers, etc from those huge wheelstands... Not worth the risk IMO. Our cars are so low they seem to have a greater chance of breaking parts coming down than some of the older cars.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understood what he meant, I need to find the picture off Ott's Nova breaking the wheelie bars and litterally pulling all 4 wheels off the ground just to set it down and break the transmission case completely out of the car, destroy a spindle and two front rims, an oil pan, among many other things. lol Anyways like I said I don't care to spend cash to have fun and this is what I have always wanted to setup my car to do.

Anyone with any advice? I am going to get a tubular k member and a lift off hood to shed some more weight off the front end. I have already ditched the front sway bar, bumper support, and ac an accessories to shed some weight just in the front end. I just need to know what direction I need to go when it comes to suspesion parts and setups...
Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

Those stock eliminators love to pull them. Always hear guys saying that pulling the wheels wastes ET but I can assure you that cars wheelie was no surprise to the driver, that thing is dialed in and the 60' is as good as it can get for the power those cars make.

Here's a vid of my car-basically all the usuall bolt on suspension parts+dual airbags, limiters and wheelie bars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdBZk5Y3s4
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My advise, call Madman.

We pull the wheels on my car 3 feet in the air everytime. If the wheels dont come way up in the air and I am not shifting into 2nd gear looking at the sky, I am not having very much fun.

Coach
Old 06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

People always give the "it kills ET" speech, it kills very little and if you're not heads up racing... Who cares? My dad's cars old setup had about 300 passes, the fastest ones by far were 60 ft. wheelies. Now the weather was good but you get the point.

Having a A3 goes a long way for having a stout first gear. It usually just kind of happens, I don't think many people specifically go out to make their car do wheelies. You just slowly add on and once you get the power/hook it's there.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I can tell you, when you do pull a big one and you're not expecting it, it's not really all that much fun.

Just went thru that last weekend, looking at the sky really wasn't on my list of things to do that day LOL, pic is my sig now.

I'm not 100% sure exactly what does what anymore after reading some of the old threads on here about instant center... I'm just hoping the travel limiters stop it from happening again.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
I need to find the picture off Ott's Nova breaking the wheelie bars and litterally pulling all 4 wheels off the ground just to set it down and break the transmission case completely out of the car, destroy a spindle and two front rims, an oil pan, among many other things.
would this be the one??

Last edited by BlackSS2001; 06-04-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

^^^^^^^^^^^Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow. nice nova. did it end up getting totaled? or survived?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you want to do this?

http://media.putfile.com/slowmogregbreakscar
Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

If you set it up right you have less chance of breaking, we do it at least 2 times a year at wheel stand contests, check out this months car craft they had an article on it. In a nutshell its a lot of torque, a big stall, and the right suspension set up.

(No Wheels on the ground)
Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSIRBY
wow. nice nova. did it end up getting totaled? or survived?
It's not a Nova, it's a 69 camaro, and........never mind.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NINET3Z
It's not a Nova, it's a 69 camaro, and........never mind.
well i thought it was a nova. since thats what the guy asked for.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
Now that's a wheelie.

I still won't forget the time I was at about the '330 for a quick 16. A 10.5 tire guy was trying to spray his way in, I hear him lift... Look at the track and can't see anything yet, then when he finally comes into view he's draggin' the damn bumper Best one I've seen in person.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I can tell you, when you do pull a big one and you're not expecting it, it's not really all that much fun.

Just went thru that last weekend, looking at the sky really wasn't on my list of things to do that day LOL, pic is my sig now.

I'm not 100% sure exactly what does what anymore after reading some of the old threads on here about instant center... I'm just hoping the travel limiters stop it from happening again.
You can stiffen up the front shock, add the limiters, play with air pressure and the more you lengthen and/or lower your IC the less it'll hit the tire.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Funny you mentioned that because after i talked to you through pm's about my QA1 settings i went to a local 1000ft. track and was not exspecting what i got. It was a eye opener in it's self but i learned the stock rear swaybar was no match for the launch so now im buying time to get a drag sway bar and heading back. I had major twist happening and spun the tires as the car was up in the air so i backed out of it then hammered the throttle again after it set down and pulled them higher the second time Now i know what it's like when people talk about this.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Want to wheelie? Shorten the wheel base like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geEIJ...eature=related

Quick Reply: Wheel Stands