TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427
J&K Racing in Commerce Michigan. 248-345-8169
You can also e-mail me or PM me here.

kuperf@aol.com

Kurt
That didn't take long...

Good for you Kurt I wish you all the best of luck (not that you need it) your sterling reputation and experience speaks for itself!

Can you give us a run down of what you will be specializing in (which is probably everything from soup to nuts)!!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Mike, your check is in the mail!

Been about 6 weeks since I worked for W2W, so I am still getting set-up.
I am sure it will change with time, but I plan to sell some entry level rotating kits of matched parts for boosted engines (working on a 6.0 kit like my truck now).
I also will still be building engines, mostly only LS but I do have one hemi right now. All but one in the shop now are boosted, the one that is not boosted has two fogger systems!
I also have two cars in the shop, both Camaro's with boosted engines. These are both cars that did not get finished at W2W so I will be finishing them for the customers. I will likely do some full car work, but it will be limited.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Big Mike
That didn't take long...

Good for you Kurt I wish you all the best of luck (not that you need it) your sterling reputation and experience speaks for itself!

Can you give us a run down of what you will be specializing in (which is probably everything from soup to nuts)!!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I have been working on that with Pro Stock John for about 6 weeks, stay tuned for more info!

Kurt
Originally Posted by Klive
is your new shop a sponsor Kurt?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear Kurt, Can't wait to see what kinds of stuff you come up with
Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the new shop Kurt! Kurt knows LSx peformance.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 427
I also will still be building engines, mostly only LS but I do have one hemi right now. All but one in the shop now are boosted, the one that is not boosted has two fogger systems!
I also have two cars in the shop, both Camaro's with boosted engines. These are both cars that did not get finished at W2W so I will be finishing them for the customers. I will likely do some full car work, but it will be limited.

Kurt
Its good to hear that you may be doing some full car work as well, Kurt. You've truly been an asset to the LS community so its great to see the new shop already getting up-to-speed. Best of luck with the new endeavor.

FWIW, I speak from experience when I say that Kurt is one of the most competent, professional, and honest guys you could ever have the pleasure of dealing with - plus he's a nice guy too
Old 06-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Teching In

W2W is done at the end of the month. I was one of the last laid off employees during the first week of June. There are just a few guys there wrapping stuff up and moving equipment.

The close is something that has been looming for a long time and is due to a lot of factors... Economy, overhead, big business, and poor management to name just a few.

Thankfully I also saw it coming and was able to get my ducks in a row and start up on my own. I'm currently working on some cars, including one that I was not able to finish at W2W before they stopped work. Unlike W2W I'm still working on 25.2 and all other certified NHRA chassis, headers, exhaust, turbo systems, back half cars, sheet metal, tin work, custom suspensions and restorations.

I really just linger on these forums but should anyone want to contact me you can email me at thederas@aol.com.

-Denny
Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Their web site is down
Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
Their web site is down
Yeah, its been down for a few days now.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Well what is the new web sites the guys are using? If W2W went under what is Kurts and the other guys website?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427
Thanks for the kind words Mike, your check is in the mail!

Been about 6 weeks since I worked for W2W, so I am still getting set-up.
I am sure it will change with time, but I plan to sell some entry level rotating kits of matched parts for boosted engines (working on a 6.0 kit like my truck now).

Kurt
Glad to see you are still sticking around the LS stuff Kurt, I'm sure you will do well.

Shame to see W2W go, that was a top notch facility in both people and equipment. Some real nice stuff came out of that building..
Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
Well what is the new web sites the guys are using? If W2W went under what is Kurts and the other guys website?
I have no idea if Kurt has one, if he doesn't I'm sure it's something that he's working on. Same goes for Billy. Mine is www.dennydera.com and is up but not complete. No one else that I know of is working on anything else at this time.

Denny
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't have a web site yet, still working on the building!
I think Billy has one, but I don't know the address.
Denny is one of the best fab guys you can find, and he does wiring and fiberglass work great also, although he will deny it!!

Kurt
Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dennydera
I have no idea if Kurt has one, if he doesn't I'm sure it's something that he's working on. Same goes for Billy. Mine is www.dennydera.com and is up but not complete. No one else that I know of is working on anything else at this time.

Denny
I'd at least add the phone number and address on the front page until you get the site up.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Good luck with your new shop.

Kurt, you took so many hours both from his work time and personal time to explain and help me on my motor. I appreciate this to greatest extreme. When and If i'm lucky enough to be in a position to buy a new motor I definately will use your services. You are someone I trust and see as a great friend.

Mark
Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Unfortunately, it has been brewing for some time. Mainly since W2W went from an LLC to a branch of Quantum/Tecstar. The retail stuff we did directly with customers was mostly a "shoot-off" of the over all capabilities of the business. Powertrain was just a division of the corp. many things went on there besides working on customer cars.

As for the future......

Kurt certainly has a lot of knowledge about cars and racing. He started as an engine builder and is very capable. He knows many in the industry and will do well. I don't really have to say much about him because many know him already.

Billy (Skipper) Briggs is an awesome engine builder and can take credit for just about every 7- or 8-second LSx car in the country. He is not big into the Internet, so many do not know him. But those who do will agree he can build some awesome stuff. You will be seeing much more of Billy.

Denny Dera.....a great guy with unlimited talent. He was the heart and soul of the fabricating shop at W2W. He always amazed me with his incredibly well-rounded knowledge of vehicles and anything related to them. Anything from '57 Chevy builds to a state-of-the-art modern race car. Truly a talented fabricator. Could go to work at any shop in the country in my opinion (if he would leave Michigan).

Best of luck to all, not to forget Whitey (Dave Brown), Rich Gala (tuning), Jim Bell and Greg Santavy (two awesome tech's), and the Blair brothers.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
7 Second Club

I also say best of luck. It seems they have quite a bit of talent that should have no problem getting on their feet again.

Kurt,

Does this mean your "new business" might pay to send you to the LSX Shooutout this year?

Derek

Quick Reply: Wheel to Wheel powertrain go under?