Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention all T-Top cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Attention all T-Top cars

I guess Ill have to hit on the street again. They are not giving us low budget guys that use there car everyday (family Car) the choice. Id rather give my money away to a lose on the street then to the NHRA. They Suxsor.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, don't forget that there are a lot more cars than just us with t-tops. they go all the way back to what, '68-'82 corvettes?, or did models even earlier have them? later 2nd gen f-bodies had them and obviously the 3 + 4 gen. mustangs had them in the fox body configuration. Buick GN's had them. So it really isn't JUST the MODERN day f-body getting dicked by this. Granted we all run faster than that in stock configuration and most others don't. Anybody else think of any others?

Chris

No Happy Racers Anymore is what it's looking like
Old 08-21-2003, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if Thunder wants to enforce this rule at the southern shootout I won't go to that event...I WILL NOT put a jungle gym in my car to run 10.99
Old 08-21-2003, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everyone who has driven one of these cars knows that they are a lot safer than the rides of yesteryear.

Ive always praised NHRA for the safety rules they carry because the way that people build cars these days is getting crazy. With 7 second stock suspension vehicles in the 1/4, safety HAS to be a concern.

But give me a break. Even a 12 second t-top car is no more a risk than a hard top one. If you go over, one isnt going to be more of a risk then the other. vert, thats another story but the rules are in place for that.

I agree, this is a stupid rule. Good thing I normally race at an IHRA track
Old 08-21-2003, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

madman or admin can we get this post in contact with anyone that has any leverage on the issue? its a complete crock!

if not that then gm needs a recall to install a factory cage in every ls1 so we will be 'safe'
Old 08-21-2003, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will Thunder switch to IHRA rules for the Shootout? I have no problem with the old rules that t-top cars needed a roll bar at 11.99, but if I run 10's I need a roll cage!!

If this is the case at the Shootout, I'm not going to waste time driving from FL.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets dont jump Thunder about the safety rules. They dont have any control over this. I have talked to Paul at Thunder and he is trying to get with NHRA over this also.

225-343-9029
Old 08-21-2003, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lets dont jump Thunder about the safety rules. They dont have any control over this. I have talked to Paul at Thunder and he is trying to get with NHRA over this also.
we need to know though. There are going to be possibly a few H/C cars on that 10-11 second line that will dictate the necessity for a rollcage (if they are T-top). Some of us are making plans to make the 1000+mile tow down but need to stop making plans if they have to enforce this rule.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

All F-bodies were structurally designed as T-top cars. A pretty shitty rule if you ask me...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand but give us a little time. This whole deal was sprung on us just like you. I will keep you informed on what goes down today.

225-343-9029
Old 08-21-2003, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

looks like i have gone as fast as i can go already, im not putting in a 10 point into my car!

its not just f-bodys that have t-tops
cutlass
monte
regal
mr2
300z
vette
and im sure a few more.

it is a bs rule!

Old 08-21-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Last year I almost bought a NHRA certified tube framed glass bodied T-Coupe that was a turn key car set up to run 8's. The main reason that I didn't get the car was because it felt like a death trap to just sit in much less run @ 150+ MPH. My illegal to run by NHRA rules T-Topped F-body feels so much safer than that NHRA certified chassis.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

if 13.99 needs a rollbar, that means just about EVERY ls1 t-top needs a roll bar! this is crap, at my track (moroso) its usually pretty easy to get away with stuff by lying about your dial-in, but this is gonna be just about impossible to get away from (unless i can convince tehm my car is just a REALLY loud V6 ). this rule does suck majorly...
Old 08-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Don't NHRA rules allow for bone stock cars (including tires) to run as fast as they can, without adding add'l safety equipment? Z06s, Vipers and others can run quick enough in the 1/4 to require safety equipment, bone stock.

-- Wayne
Old 08-21-2003, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't NHRA rules allow for bone stock cars (including tires) to run as fast as they can, without adding add'l safety equipment? Z06s, Vipers and others can run quick enough in the 1/4 to require safety equipment, bone stock.

-- Wayne
Nope.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:16 AM
9 Second Club

I dont see how NHRA could possibly make a rule change of this stature mid season with all the points cars that are t-top equipped across the nation...This affects 3rd and 4th gen f-body's and even some GN's...... If this rule is to go into affect I would I assume it would be a 04' rule and not a immediate change...My only concern is what else I'll need on top of a fullcage I already have to be 9.99 quicker legal....
Old 08-21-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let's get some 100% confirmation on this.

Then, I will compose a few "custom" letters, and we need a mailing campaign all across the USA:

All NHRA Sponsors.
All NHRA Tracks.
Chief of Police in each city.
Newspapers.
Car Magazines.
Local politicians.
TV and Radio.
etc.

Let's dial up the heat.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:32 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How the F*ck do I explain this one to my wife?!!!! "Uh, honey, I need to put a cage in my car..."
This sucks. They should concentrate on more important matters, like banning wings on ricers who can't break the 13.99 barrier.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:35 AM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

This really sux. Especially if IHRA adopts it too. I guess I won't be taking my LS1 to the track anymore. Milan is IHRA, but Norwalk is NHRA, I won't go to Norwalk w/ either car if the NHRA really does this. I'm not putting a bar in my daily driver.

Has anyone started a petition or tried to show the NHRA how much money their tracks will lose if people refuse to put a bar in their stock cars just to go down their tracks a few times? Maybe if they saw how much money they could lose, they'd think twice.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Well I came to a conclusion that the person making this rule is obviously a mustang driver. Figuring he can get rid of MOST F-body competition.
That is such a stupid statement that the author can't possibly be serious.

As for the thread in general....before getting all up in arms, I'd recommend waiting for more solid word on this (no offense intended MADMAN, I'd just like to see it in print).

Assuming the NHRA does do something like this, then I agree with McRat and his line of thinking (must have something to do with Mars being close to Earth). If/when that ruling comes out, I think we could get quite a "grass-roots" campaign going on the net. We have lots of folks at a wide variety of sites that could put up a pretty big outpouring of dissent. For my part, I know I could get something set up on the Corral...a petition or whatever.

Still...I'd like to wait and see if it pans out before I go and buy a RPG with the NHRA's name on the business end.

Quick Reply: Attention all T-Top cars