Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rollbar/Cage/T-top rule... The Future of Drag Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Resident Grump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Rollbar/Cage/T-top rule... The Future of Drag Racing...

After reading all the comments about the rule change, when and if and the general mayhem that will result by such a change I did some reflecting of past rule changes NHRA has put on the little guy. I have come to the conclusion that they (NHRA) don't want the little guy around anymore. All I can say is they better be careful what they wish for.

IHRA is making a come back from years past and they are getting some quality venues under their wing. The effect this new rule will have on the big tracks such as HRP and the like will be hardly noticeable. Their staging lanes are packed any time they open their gates. It's the smaller tracks that will suffer if the rule is put into effect and enforced.

NHRA has been known to treat the sportsman racer like a second class citizen. Ask the ones that attended the Gator Nationals this past spring.

Time will tell.

Tony I'm through being grumpy now.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The Rollbar/Cage/T-top rule... The Future of Drag Racing...

Damn, I hate to agree with you but...well, I do in this case. And when it comes to BS like this, it's damn TIME to be grumpy! So you go ya 'ole pissy grumpmeister!
Old 08-24-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

If in fact this will be a new rule, we are going to fight it.

SO far, the NHRA guys I've spoken with claim it's a non-issue.

I wish I could bug their offices. Anyone with CIA connections?
Old 08-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Resident Grump

The pressure will have to come from the track owners. Let your local track owner know that if this rule is put into effect how many cars he will loose.

You know for a while there we had the win on Sunday sell on Monday thing going again just like back in the sixtys between Ford and GM.

The only other suggestion I've got is flood NHRA with e-mails on the subject. Tell them they are going to loose the weekend hobby racer that runs the car he drives every day.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:06 AM
9 Second Club

thing is it wouldn't just effect F-bodies, ya got the targa top Vettes, Supras and even the old t-top mustangs that'd all fall into this.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Does anyone have a link to this supposed rule change????
Old 08-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Resident Grump

The best intel I've got is the change was discussed but not acted on as of last week. It all started when some over zelious tech man at a track got all excited when a T-top was not secured and came loose going down the track and flying toward a spectator area. Then it was decided to have everyone remove their T-tops. When this was done it was then decided that t-top cars with out their tops are convertables.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hoods fly off at the track all the time and hell just this past week a back window blew out of a 69 chevelle at the 1000ft. ...guess we all have to run without the hoods next and lexan will be mandatory...
Old 08-24-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is what I suspected. After one AutoX event where a T-Top flew off and stopped racing for 20 minutes while they sweep off the course, they started getting antsy about the tops. I pointed out to them it is just a forgetful racer, much like when someone forgets to tighten their wheel lugs, or a hose in the engine compartment. It is rare and dangerous, but there is little you can do to insure nobody makes a mistake prepping their car.

Having the panels in does little if anything to add to the collision/rollover protection which is why you put a rollbar in to begin with. If they are worried about T-Tops flying off, make them remove them prior to racing. But the rollbar is an unrelated issue.