Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TA question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA question

I noticed that some chassis mounted TAs have different adjustment points in the front. Which way would you adj. the front to get more weight transfer, up or down? I'm thinking of making some slightly longer plates (attachment point at the front of the TA) to see if this helps with weight transfer. Good idea or not? Right now I'm running 1 1/2 degrees negative pinion angle. It has worked fine until I lowered the on point of the nitrous from 4k to 3500. Now it blows the tires off about 10 ft. off the line. I'm only running about 480rwhp, should I increase the pinion angle slightly? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Which way you move the TA depends on where you instant center (IC) curently is in relation to you vehicles center of gravity (CG). Do you have adjustabilty in you front TA mount? What hole is it in? Where are your LCA's mounted? Do you know where your IC and CG are? I had my car scaled to find the CG, and then mapped out all of my possible IC's on papper. Some were so extreme they were non existant or unuseable. The end result was about 3 I have played with to find which one the car likes best. As my HP changes (hopefully goes up!) so will my IC with the ability to lay down more power and the need for weight transfer. What type of suspension componets are you using, heim joints, polyurethane, or rubber (hope not!). These will determine how much pinion angle you will need.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, I do not have but one set of holes in the Spohn TA. I thought maybe I could fab something up. Right now I have an adj. panhard, Lakewood non adj. control arms, relocation brackets set at the lowest hole and an air bag on the pass. side. All have poly bushings. The problem is, I'm on stock shocks and Eibach Pro lowering springs. The car has a nice stance and dead hooked until recently, very low 1.6x. For now I'm thinking of lowering the back a little and putting on some Comp Engineering 3 way shocks. That and pull about 20lbs off the front end. You think going back to the stock shocks up front would help? I don't have the money for the QA1s and drag springs right now.
Oh and I have no idea where the IC and CG are at.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
No, I do not have but one set of holes in the Spohn TA. I thought maybe I could fab something up. Right now I have an adj. panhard, Lakewood non adj. control arms, relocation brackets set at the lowest hole and an air bag on the pass. side. All have poly bushings. The problem is, I'm on stock shocks and Eibach Pro lowering springs. The car has a nice stance and dead hooked until recently, very low 1.6x. For now I'm thinking of lowering the back a little and putting on some Comp Engineering 3 way shocks. That and pull about 20lbs off the front end. You think going back to the stock shocks up front would help? I don't have the money for the QA1s and drag springs right now.
Oh and I have no idea where the IC and CG are at.
Rear shocks will probably help some. You might try moving your LCA's up one hole and see if it helps. My car would bog off the line and then spin a few feet out. Turns out my IC was to far back and I was hitting the tires to hard, when you watched the video the rear of my car would actually rise off the line. I moved the IC forward (by moving the LCA's and the front of the TA up) and it worked out. Also if you haven't already pull your front sway bar, or at least the end links. Any weight you can loose is good!

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I lowered the air pessure down to 19lbs hot after a pass and that seems to help. I was able to get the nitrous on point down to 3600 and still hold traction. That was a fun ride. I do not have the sway bar any more. I also took off the cruise control box. Big deal, (3 1/4lbs.) I know. I plan on loosing the fog lights and most of the front bumper support next. I'll also try what you mentioned and go back up one hole on the relocation brackets. Thanks for the tips.