Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have any Pinks All Out tips????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone have any Pinks All Out tips????

Pinks all out is coming to Sonoma, CA this weekend and I'm registered to race in it.... Wanted to hear if anyone had any horror stories, tips, tidbits about what to expect and what to DO/NOT do... I already heard we'll get two passes on saturday one on the tree with a timeslip and one on Rich C's armdrop without a timeslip.... anybody got any tips?????

TIA!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to run the exact E.T. every pass and you might get picked. They like 9.50 to 10.0 cars.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go knowing its a 1/400 chance of getting picked and having the coolest/fastest car there doesnt guarantee you will get picked either.

Its a lot of fun, get there early and get a low number, the Pinks staff seems to lose interest after the first 200 cars goes down the track.

Main thing is have fun, I went to a couple last year and its pretty cool, good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Watch the arm drops before you go up.. The way he drops his arms for the final 16 is different from the way he drops 400 cars.. Just watch a pass or two..

But #1 have fun.. Registration is a bear but after that is all fun and very well organized.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Just go knowing its a 1/400 chance of getting picked and having the coolest/fastest car there doesnt guarantee you will get picked either.

Its a lot of fun, get there early and get a low number, the Pinks staff seems to lose interest after the first 200 cars goes down the track.

Main thing is have fun, I went to a couple last year and its pretty cool, good luck.
When I went the numbers where by last name..not by time you registered.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
9 Second Club

They like 9.50 to 10.0 cars
Sweet...exactly where i'll be running.... I put in the 175 jets today and swapped to 10.5W tires versus DR's that I was running before. I'm thinking the car will easily be a tenth or two faster than it was (9.79 at the same track a week ago)......

And we are getting there thursday for early tech so we'll most likely get a low #...... A question I had was do the TV guys watch the Test N Tune the night prior (friday)????? My crew and I were wondering if we should set the car apart by pulling some nasty wheelstands at the T&T.... anything to make my car stand out was our thoughts....

And i'm not even expecting to get picked. It's a 3% chance so i'm just going out for a 2 day 35 dollar race session. if i get picked i get picked. if not i just hope one of my wheelstands get on tv....
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=My 04 Goat;10039399]Watch the arm drops before you go up.. The way he drops his arms for the final 16 is different from the way he drops 400 cars.. Just watch a pass or two..

QUOTE]

that was my friends biggest complaint, the arm drops are nothing like what you see on tv. he made it to the final 32 (not 16 in norwalk) and even for his first pass, the arm drop was iffy
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get 15 of your friends that have cars that run within .01 and your guaranteed to be on tv.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
When I went the numbers where by last name..not by time you registered.
Both times I went (rockingham and bristol) the numbers were given to you as you pulled in the gate. Since I was late showing up to both I was like 286 for one and 320 for the other.

I ran 9.20s at rockingham, they picked 10.60 cars. I slowed it down to 9.50 at bristol and guess what, they picked 10.60 cars lol.

I still had a good time though, its fun to do a couple times.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 AM
9 Second Club

Do they say what they might be looking for at the drivers meeting?????

I wouldn't imagine they do seeing as how everyone would shoot for that I guess huh????

Cuz my car runs 10.60 on motor...... and mid 9's on small jets... which is where we plan on running..... my engine builder is toning his car down with smaller jets to run 9.60ish..... we're hoping we both get picked.... even if we don't i'll just be happy to see my car on TV for 2 seconds..... maybe a good bumper drag will do....
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Do they say what they might be looking for at the drivers meeting?????

I wouldn't imagine they do seeing as how everyone would shoot for that I guess huh????

Cuz my car runs 10.60 on motor...... and mid 9's on small jets... which is where we plan on running..... my engine builder is toning his car down with smaller jets to run 9.60ish..... we're hoping we both get picked.... even if we don't i'll just be happy to see my car on TV for 2 seconds..... maybe a good bumper drag will do....
Na, they never say, that can pick 11.50 or 9.50 cars. Lot of it depends on the story, women drivers, father/son teams, something unique and colorful.

After the first passes on Saturday watch the film crews interviewing drivers in the pits, thats most likely the ET rangr they will be picking for the 16.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tell them your gonna do that wiggily left front wheel thing again. That will probably get you a few seconds of air time, even if you don't make the field.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Try to run the exact E.T. every pass and you might get picked. They like 9.50 to 10.0 cars.
Correct on first part, BS on second. Gainesville, FL they picked 11.40s, Atlanta, GA a few weeks later was 10.20s, a few months previous picked mid 12s. They like faster cars of course due to crowd appeal, but the closest group gets the nod.

Derek
Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

I dunno about that, I was # 273 and got picked @ etown, and ended up making it to the semi finals.

Be good on the tree, be consistant, and make all your runs. Make sure your car is clean too, twice I've been picked, first time I had a part failure which stopped me form continuing ( last year @ mir, I was sleected to race out for the last 2 spots but had a failure) and this year @ etown, I got picked again and made it to the semi final run.

Clean car, consistant on every run, and hope.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Race your car!

I'd actually put the smallest jets in you can, if you are gonna run teh car on nitrous, make sure you can get 6 runs on one bottle setup. Go with a 15 lb'er if you have one, or put 2 bottles in teh car and Y them. That's what screwed me was changing bottles after the 2nd run, I forgot to turn the damn thing on when I had the seatbelt in the camera equipment.

Make SURE you have one guy with you that just checks to make sure the bottle is on, up to presssure, and make sure you can change it fast and have a 2nd and 3rd ready to go if you can't put 2 in the car.

I'm gonna take next year off, but if I can sign up for another one and if I get in, the car will be as it sits with one change: Passenger's seat will be out, and I"m putting dual 15 lb bottles in the car both with their own heater, and I'm gonna have a guy with a 16 volt battery and a set of alligator clips on it to hook to the bottle heaters in the lanes to heat them up and keep them hot.

NO way and I gonna let what happened to me this year happen again... I don't care about the weight. I'll back the thing off to the 125 or 100 jet too just so the car's even more dead consistant in the traction department, and it will make making 6 runs easier

(if you get picked, and go to the finals you could have to make as many as 6 runs, so bring a set of plugs one step colder then you normally run to put in for that too, which is what I did. I usually run a #9 heat range, I put a set of #10's in for the race just in case I made it to the finals, I wanted a little extra protection for the hot lap runs)

Good luck, take home the win!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I dunno about that, I was # 273 and got picked @ etown, and ended up making it to the semi finals.

Be good on the tree, be consistant, and make all your runs. Make sure your car is clean too, twice I've been picked, first time I had a part failure which stopped me form continuing ( last year @ mir, I was sleected to race out for the last 2 spots but had a failure) and this year @ etown, I got picked again and made it to the semi final run.

Clean car, consistant on every run, and hope.
My car is pretty clean, and consistent, just too fast for the ones I went to. Not a whole lot you can do about that, I had fun either way.

If I go again I'll run 10.50s though
Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Race your car!

I went the last time and was running 9.9x.. one before that I was at 10.9x

Next time I go, I'll probably have the car running consistant 9.5 at full tilt, but will be doing a test run of 6 runs with no bottle changes, and the max jetting I can get away with and still get 6 good strong runs in will be what I run the car at.

And, there will be 2 15 lb bottles in the car, never again will I make that mistake
Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I went the last time and was running 9.9x.. one before that I was at 10.9x

Next time I go, I'll probably have the car running consistant 9.5 at full tilt, but will be doing a test run of 6 runs with no bottle changes, and the max jetting I can get away with and still get 6 good strong runs in will be what I run the car at.

And, there will be 2 15 lb bottles in the car, never again will I make that mistake
Luckily I can run from 9.0 to 11.00 or anywhere in between six times in a row and dont have to change any bottles But in the end there is no real guaranteed way of getting picked obviously so may as well just go into it having fun and if it happens it happens.

But I agree that you best be able to hotlap and be consistent, thats why bracket type cars usually end up winning. Not sure whats worse, not getting picked at all or getting picked and losing by the car messing up, jumping the arm drop or running too fast.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
9 Second Club

Don't know if you guys saw my post in the LT1 section but if you want a HUGE writeup on what we did at Pinks All Out it's here....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...548&highlight=

long story short I had the car dead nutz consistent..... ran two passes on friday 9.86 then a 9.89.... saturday morning we ran 9.82 and got the fronts up pretty nicely in front of rich sitting on the side of the track...

They started interviewing 10.20 guys so i set the car up to wow the crowd on 150 jets and came out with more timing then we usually do. Set the slicks to 9psi and left on the brake at 4K....

and this is the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkmj1TGZzs

This was right in front of Rich C on his armdrop..... should make the show i hope if only for 6-8 seconds..... i'm happy with the car tho. didn't break nothing, ran consistent, kept the car clean and competitive. handled EVERY car in the other lane every pass, got the crowd on their feet..... we did everything we needed to do to get picked they just picked a different field..... I had a BLAST. Most fun i've ever had dragracing...... and there was 15,000 people in the stands..... I appreciate all your guys' comments prior to the event.... it helped a ton.....

And if you have a chance to race at PAO, by all means DO IT..... it's like nothing you will ever get to do.... racing in front of that many ppl is huge fun...
Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Race your car!

That's how it was at englishtown, I think there was as many people there in the crowd as there is for a top fuel event.

I definately enjoyed it even with a stupid miscue, and will definately leave the car togeher for next year (even though I'm taking it off) just in case I get a chance to sign up again, because I'll definately go again, and this time, I'll make sure there's 2 15 lb'ers in the car Tee'd together so there's no chance of forgetting to turn it on again