Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

01 ZO6 Tsunami Cam results

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7
The Tsunami have better clearnce for aftermarket heads you dont need to flycut even with 60cc heads.

awesome cam.

I think you can get a couple of hp more with MS4 but not much I'm sure Matt will help.
gotcha. but the extra power from the ms4 would balance out to close to the same due to being able to use a better head?

I sent matt a pm reguarding this cam, and maybe the 2.5 5.3 heads.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

post a vid I want to hear it already
Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fly pantera
post a vid I want to hear it already
You heard it saturday night!!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

i need a cam like that for my 02 ls6 crate motor.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
i need a cam like that for my 02 ls6 crate motor.
Give us a call! We have several of these on the shelf ready to ship!

Jon
Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

graph added
Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the graph. STD numbers are a bit higher then SAE, but still great hp !! I am a little concerned with the torque curve ?? Dipping below 300 rwtq is a bit odd.

What is your compression SCR (10.5:1) and DCR ?? I love the HP especially up top, but that torque got me thinking she's weak down low compared to a lot of other cam only setups. Take away the aggressive zo6 gearing and it would only be worse.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Thanks for the graph. STD numbers are a bit higher then SAE, but still great hp !! I am a little concerned with the torque curve ?? Dipping below 300 rwtq is a bit odd.
Possibly a combination of a big cam and stock heads?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

What is your compression SCR (10.5:1) and DCR ?? I love the HP especially up top, but that torque got me thinking she's weak down low compared to a lot of other cam only setups. Take away the aggressive zo6 gearing and it would only be worse.

Yeah, she does feel a little lazy down low but this car felt almost the same way with the stock cam on the lower rpms but once you hit 3k she really pulls hard. I was thinking mabe some smaller runner heads and bump the compression up a bit might help?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Eh, torque is good from a little below 4500 and peak hp holds out well. Who races below 4500 RPM anyways? I'll take the high RPM power if it's a car that sees quite a bit of racing. I don't know about you, but I don't cruise around punching it from 3000 RPMs screaming, "Check this **** out, bitches!"

If it's just a cruiser, though, then obviously this could be seen as a problem. But then again, if it's just a cruiser this probably wasn't the smartest choice for a cam, so that wouldn't make any sense.

But yeah, that torque curve is a bit disappointing considering this cam was advertised as big cam, high RPM power without sacrificing the lowend torque. Thoughts from TSP? Just curious.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 02-26-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
But yeah, that torque curve is a bit disappointing considering this cam was advertised as big cam, high RPM power without sacrificing the lowend torque. Thoughts from TSP? Just curious.
I agree with this, the rest I have to think differently. That's why I didn't quote. At least we agreed on something.

That sub 300 rwtq dip has me concerned that stock SCR is not enough for this cam setup. I think some of the lowend torque issues could be solved with additional compression. Still haven't heard what your DCR is ??
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh, that torque curve is funny down low...could be tune?? Hard to say without seeing A/F chart and tune though.

And of course it could use more compression...all cams with over 230º intake duration@.050" will want/need more than 10.2:1 SCR! A set of stock 5.3L heads with no port work or aftermarket valves/VJ would be better off just due to the bump in compression.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I think its surprising that this big cam doesnt need to be revved to the moon...6200rpm is kinda low, isnt it? Even in the other Tsunami thread its the same with PRC 5.3l heads.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We designed the cam with that in mind...."bigger" cam power, without a peak HP at 6500+ RPM. It's still big, but not as big as many cams that make similar power.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with this, the rest I have to think differently. That's why I didn't quote. At least we agreed on something.

That sub 300 rwtq dip has me concerned that stock SCR is not enough for this cam setup. I think some of the lowend torque issues could be solved with additional compression. Still haven't heard what your DCR is ??
Ah, sorry, I missed your meaning. I thought you just didn't like the low number; I didn't realize you were suggesting an issue with that number being a symptom!
Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Eh, that torque curve is funny down low...could be tune?? Hard to say without seeing A/F chart and tune though.

And of course it could use more compression...all cams with over 230º intake duration@.050" will want/need more than 10.2:1 SCR! A set of stock 5.3L heads with no port work or aftermarket valves/VJ would be better off just due to the bump in compression.
We designed the cam with that in mind...."bigger" cam power, without a peak HP at 6500+ RPM. It's still big, but not as big as many cams that make similar power.
Good info. I'd love to see some PRC 2.5 LS6 heads on this car and dyno/track numbers to go along with it.

Matt, have you guys done any Tsunami cam / PRC LS6 2.5 heads combos yet on an Fbody? Gonna do a search but I didn't recall seeing anything like this.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-results.html

Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

D'oh!!!! I posted in that a few months ago! Don't know how I missed it when searching earlier today. Me and my terrible memory...

Thanks for the refresher.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

With that kind of tq curve, I would assume the dyno wasn't reading something right...there is no way that cam produces that wild of a tq curve...maybe a pack tac pick up???
Old 02-27-2009, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Actually there is nothing wrong with the dyno at all.

Jon
Old 02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he was referring to the OP dyno graph.

Quick Reply: 01 ZO6 Tsunami Cam results