Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Baseline dyno, wow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baseline dyno, wow!

Hi everyone! This is my 1st post here.

A few weeks ago I bought my bro-in-law's 02 SS 6MT that was a bit on the neglected side. Been working almost every day on it since I got it bringing it up to its present state.

I did all the maintenance like the spark plugs (yes, I did all EIGHT of them... lost a pint of blood on the passenger side), fuel filter, Mobil1 fluids for all (engine, tranny, and diff. Will be upgraded to Amsoil on the tranny and diff in about 10k mi, Im using the Mobil1 just to flush it out because it seems that old fluid was the original crap), alignment, full detail job, real alarm, etc...

The car is all stock EXCEPT for the cleaned up the KnN air filter the previous owner had on it, and also did the free ram-air mod while I was at it, and a short-throw shifter (brand unknown to me).

Anywho, considering the present condition, I went into the dyno expecting 300-310whp. I was quite surprised when I saw...

Run#1- engine was not up to operating temp as of yet
Run#2- it was on it
Run#3- slightly lower #s and the apparent dip in ign timing at 4700 PROBABLY due to heat-soak

You guys are the experts here, Im the n00b. But from what I reckon, this is a pretty healthy setup so far! NOTICE- I set up the graph for SAE correction to be comparable to others here. STD cor run 2 had 333WHP/343WTQ.

Conditions- 81.25*F, 29.79 in-Hg, 49% humidity

I just wanted to baseline to make sure everything was good before continuing modding. I will not be touching the engine in quite a while, as I will be focusing more on chassis and suspension as or right now. From my previous car to this... this flexy F-body is in dire need of SFCs and LCAs with relocation kit/ TQ arm/ Panhard Rod/ new Bilstein sport shocks/ drop in the front only (I like how the back sits, plus I dont want to loose suspension travel back there, but the front HAS to come down a bit). AFTER this is when I'll get back on the engine. One step at a time.

All input welcomed! Im learning here so shoot!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Here's a question for you guys.

This is something I've only seen here on LS1-related stuff. On the dynos, WTF is all this talk about credits for tuning? I keep seeing some of the guys here talk about that and how (IMO) outrageously expensive it is for a tune for those that mention credits for dyno. Could someone please shed some light on that for me?

I came from a a 95 maxima to which I swaped a VQ35 into, built the engine and swapped it myself, and overtime I was tuning with things as simple as a SAFC and then upgraded to an E-Manage, always doing the tuning myself so I'd only have to pay for the dyno time. I never let someone else work on my car, even less tune it for me when i can do it myself.

Is the credits something that when you take the car in for someone ELSE to tune it?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats definetly a factory freak i'd say, very nice baseline. As far as credits go, tuning software requires you to buy credits before you can flash the PCM. Im not sure about EFIlive but with HPtuners its $50 per credit and it requires 2 credits to unlock that VIN for tuning. If you do custom operating systems it requires more.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adam1803
Thats definetly a factory freak i'd say, very nice baseline. As far as credits go, tuning software requires you to buy credits before you can flash the PCM. Im not sure about EFIlive but with HPtuners its $50 per credit and it requires 2 credits to unlock that VIN for tuning. If you do custom operating systems it requires more.
Thank you! I thought the same when I saw the numbers! lol Videos of this session should be up in the next day or two.

Ooooh ok now it makes sense! I did see HPTuner mentioned a lot with the whole credit mombo-jumbo. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Good #s id like to see what that car runs at the track before any mods.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice #'s.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Wow Great numbers! Yeah you should get a base line 1/4 mile run on there...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! I am debating going to the track. It's quite a drive from here though. I dont have to worry about blowing up the differential with regular street tires right? lol It's slicks and DRs that I'd have something to worry about if Im not mistaken.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Six speeds have been known to break th ten bolt on highway runs. the t56 is the killer of 10 bolt rears. but then again stock ten bolts have also been known to run with 450rwhp cars that rund 11's. its a gamble.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Great numbers! With that much power, I can see why you are going to concentrate on other areas of the car before going for more.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM

Great #'s. Was the car originally a 345hp package (blackwing lid, slp exhaust). They normally dyno in the 310-320rwhp stock with a tune.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice baseline numbers.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HTX
Six speeds have been known to break th ten bolt on highway runs. the t56 is the killer of 10 bolt rears. but then again stock ten bolts have also been known to run with 450rwhp cars that rund 11's. its a gamble.
^^^^

I'm one of them. I left pretty easy on DR's but I was powershifting the hell out of it. Not even a whimper.

On the other hand I have a friend that broke his posi in 4th gear going through the traps, and another broke his posi in a bolt on LT1 with 2.73 gear leaving on street tires. Neither of them shattered the ring and pinion but they do the ol' 1 wheel peel.

Those are pretty impressive numbers. I'd like to see some numbers at the track as well.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 PM

Track #'s have a lot more to do with the driver than the car.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

yes Im with davered00ss, track times are quite a bit about the driver. Fast car, plus crappy driver = bad time. But still a freak!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Good numbers, I'm hoping for that much with exhaust
Old 03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive for only having a cleaned up K&N and no tuning. Keep us posted on your progress. I like that you are doing the suspension before you add power. Very smart.

It would've been interesting to have seen what she did before you got her up to speed. I'll bet she was way down !! Good job.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HTX
Originally Posted by davered00ss
Track #'s have a lot more to do with the driver than the car.
Originally Posted by 2003cobraH/C
yes Im with davered00ss, track times are quite a bit about the driver. Fast car, plus crappy driver = bad time. But still a freak!!!
Def a hit or miss. I honestly think I'll keep her as a dyno queen just because I don't have the money to buy a 9" or a 12bolt any time soon. Plus it wont be seeing the dyno for some time- no engine mods coming any time soon.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Great numbers! With that much power, I can see why you are going to concentrate on other areas of the car before going for more.

Great #'s. Was the car originally a 345hp package (blackwing lid, slp exhaust). They normally dyno in the 310-320rwhp stock with a tune.
Yes sir original SLP stuff with the stickers on the doors to prove it lol.

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
very nice baseline numbers.
Thank you

Originally Posted by FMX05
^^^^

I'm one of them. I left pretty easy on DR's but I was powershifting the hell out of it. Not even a whimper.

On the other hand I have a friend that broke his posi in 4th gear going through the traps, and another broke his posi in a bolt on LT1 with 2.73 gear leaving on street tires. Neither of them shattered the ring and pinion but they do the ol' 1 wheel peel.

Those are pretty impressive numbers. I'd like to see some numbers at the track as well.
Scary stuff.

Originally Posted by 346ci
Good numbers, I'm hoping for that much with exhaust
Post up the graphs when the time comes!

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Impressive for only having a cleaned up K&N and no tuning. Keep us posted on your progress. I like that you are doing the suspension before you add power. Very smart.

It would've been interesting to have seen what she did before you got her up to speed. I'll bet she was way down !! Good job.
Well the free ram air mod was also done to it lol. Thank you! IMO, it's not as if the car is slow- it just FEELS sluggish at times (coming from a car with a pretty solid chassis I setup) because of the "boat-like" sensation of driving it. With blown shocks all around, the squat/dive/leaning is not to my taste, and neither is the flexy chassis. All things to be sorted out one at a time. After that is dealt with, THEN the fun may begin on the drivetrain.

Honestly I didn't even want to bother with dynoing in the state I got the car. The spark plugs had not been changed in 50k+ mi, the tranny and diff fluids were the original crap so they were black as night, air filter was black, etc...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Teching In

w00h00!!!! This is my first time doing video editing! Anywho, watch and enjoy lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFm7K...e=channel_page

All 3 runs in their respective sequence order.

OT- I guess while in there you can take a look at some of my other vids from my old Maxima. Unfortunately the only vids I had from when it was RMT'd was on just 6psi. Never got any from the 9-10psi days. Over on Maxima.org I had overlaid this dyno's runfile over the runfile from the last time I dyno'd All Motor on the Max... wow it just seemed like a cruel joke lol

That Max moved though. Full trim with full tank of gas it tipped the scale at Moroso at ~2950 w/o driver.

*Back in subject- LS1= w00h00!

Last edited by 95BLKMAX; 03-30-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Would that be Stock? Im not sure how to take SLP's upgrades. Nice numbers