Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Pat G custom cam results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
hmm, numbers do seam a little low to me. That cam should pull quite abit better then that i would think. Somewhere closer to 400 rwhp and 380 ish rwtq I would think
Look at his other mods though. He is still running stock heads & 4.10 gears out back. Those are solid numbers. I'd bet if he went back to stock 3.42 gears his numbers would have been alot closer to 400.

Can't just look at the cam size & say "oh, those numbers look low for that cam", you gotta take the entire combo into account. And those 4.10's are robbing him of some power.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Look at his other mods though. He is still running stock heads & 4.10 gears out back. Those are solid numbers. I'd bet if he went back to stock 3.42 gears his numbers would have been alot closer to 400.

Can't just look at the cam size & say "oh, those numbers look low for that cam", you gotta take the entire combo into account. And those 4.10's are robbing him of some power.
Yea 4:10s rob a good amount. Overall, i'm very happy. It pulls hard all the way up to 6500rpms. That extra 50 lbs of tq is really nice at 5500rpms. I just got my nittos today. Glad I can put this power to the ground!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

hey, i was looking at the entire combo. Either way, i could be wrong. Regardless, hes an excellent cam guru.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those #'s are solid for the setup..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

he does have quite a bit done to his car.... I mean, its not like he just added the cam and springs and called it a day.
4.10s or not....
Old 05-02-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brad Hutchcraft
he does have quite a bit done to his car.... I mean, its not like he just added the cam and springs and called it a day.
4.10s or not....
It's okay. Once the bottle goes it will be a different story!
Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are right there. I just think I would have cammed the car for every day use, and then put the nitrous to it. It would have made a lot of power regardless, it would have just been better suited for everyday use. JMO. Then again, Pat G DOES know what he is doing. GL
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

good numbers dude.. those are close to mine. your cam is bigger but i have the fast90/90. you wont tell 380hp to 400 when you are spraying it..and you better be ready to fill the bottle alot, after you spray once you will be hooked. lol just like me. im glad you got tires. i didnt like those 2.0 60's you had at the track. now you need to launch it had intill the 10bolt brakes. lol its never ending
Old 05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSXFORMULA99
good numbers dude.. those are close to mine. your cam is bigger but i have the fast90/90. you wont tell 380hp to 400 when you are spraying it..and you better be ready to fill the bottle alot, after you spray once you will be hooked. lol just like me. im glad you got tires. i didnt like those 2.0 60's you had at the track. now you need to launch it had intill the 10bolt brakes. lol its never ending
This cam is going to react amazingly to nitrous. I got the nitto 555s. Still street tires but a lot better than the ones I have now lol. We need to do some runs when you get ur tranny **** worked out.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Launching!

What's up with the Weiand intake? I thought the stock LS6 was known to be better. Hmm, maybe there's a bit more left in the tune.

I have the same cam and got some nice gains over the stock LS6 cam (LS6 longblock.)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have LS6 heads and with the Z06 tranny about a 3.90 rear gear ratio.. There is no cookie cutter recipe. You cant compare dyno's either.

Originally Posted by Ryan L
What's up with the Weiand intake? I thought the stock LS6 was known to be better. Hmm, maybe there's a bit more left in the tune.

I have the same cam and got some nice gains over the stock LS6 cam (LS6 longblock.)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

I was looking at your mods and the results and am very interested because I had Patrick G spec a cam for me as well and it is almost identical to yours.

my specs 226/232 609/604 112 +4

So I was very interested in what kind of results you got and was kinda surprised. I figured for sure you would be over or very close to the 400hp/385ft tq range.

Our mods/cars are very similar. I have stock cubes, LS6 intake, ported factory TB, Pacesetters, Moser 12-bolt with 3.73's, Spec Stage 3 clutch (aluminum flywheel) with a set of 241's, and a very small MTI B1 cam 221/221 558/558 114. The 241's were stage 2 ported by Cartek. With this combo I put 416 to the wheels. Prior to the headwork I put the 385/365 to the wheels, no other changes.

My cam is pretty small, the heads do flow better than stock, but could they be worth as much as 40 hp? If so what would the cam be worth? Any ideas? Maybe the torque curve would be flatter?

I think there is some good power left in your combo or my understanding of engine dynamics is not up to par (very good possibility).

Good Luck
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Pat G custom cam results.-cartekheads2.jpg   Pat G custom cam results.-retune.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

The cam is a great cam, I have the same cam on a 111+1 and love the overall power under curve. I have a LS6 intake, stock 98 head and some beat up old hooker LT's and put down the numbers in my sig. My heads and headers are holding me back a bit. The vette's typically put down better numbers due to the better designed exhaust, its not somethign that is foreign to F-body's, we just needto spend more time making a better y-pipe or spending big bucks, this is one reason why Ryan's numbers are so nice. If I were to do a cam right now, I would have eithe rwent with my same cam or gotten somthing a bit bigger on a LSR lobe, but then again, I dont drive my car everyday and I do like to race it when I get the opportunity to do so. I would have to say you would be looking at 42x/39x on the same dyno in the same condition, ofcourse the advantage would be better with a better Intake and T/B.

I think the OP's gains are solid for the mods. There are alot of little things that could be done to help out but overall with his mods and those numbers, then car should run like a beast.

1qwikbird - I dont see you gaining much peak over what you have now, but I do think that you would ahve better area under curve.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris Gage
1qwikbird - I dont see you gaining much peak over what you have now, but I do think that you would ahve better area under curve.
When I talked with Patrick G. I gave him some pretty specific guidelines to work within (valve spring/lifter life/redline etc.) and his recommendation came back and addressed those points. He told me not to expect much more (given the constraints), but the new cam would move the power around and pull harder through the rpm's. We'll see. When this economy picks up a bit, I'll look into the cam swap further. I happened to see the thread and thought maybe I'd get a glimpse as to what I could expect doing the swap. The small differences in the combo's could prove larger than I had thought.

Either way good luck to the OP and let's see some numbers with the spray.

Chris
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

My weiand intake should be at or above a ls6 intake. I'm pretty sure it has the ls6 intake design and plus it is ported. With my stock clutch I would have made more. I added the ls7 clutch and did the drill mod so it could handle the power with no sticking. I think 45+ HP and 40-50 more TQ at 6k rpms is great. Overall i'm very happy with these na numbers. This was not meant to be a na cam
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice numbers, OP. I can't wait to see how it does on the nitrous!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
My weiand intake should be at or above a ls6 intake. I'm pretty sure it has the ls6 intake design and plus it is ported. With my stock clutch I would have made more. I added the ls7 clutch and did the drill mod so it could handle the power with no sticking. I think 45+ HP and 40-50 more TQ at 6k rpms is great. Overall i'm very happy with these na numbers. This was not meant to be a na cam
Which is what some are missing on this build. I think your numbers are right on. Just go to the track & let the ET do the talkin man. Some people forget dynos can vary between shops, elevation & humidity can also effect your numbers. People also forget the dyno is mainly a tuning tool. The numbers it puts out really aren't important unless you just want to brag about your numbers. Personally I'd rather brag about ET numbers than dyno numbers.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Which is what some are missing on this build. I think your numbers are right on. Just go to the track & let the ET do the talkin man. Some people forget dynos can vary between shops, elevation & humidity can also effect your numbers. People also forget the dyno is mainly a tuning tool. The numbers it puts out really aren't important unless you just want to brag about your numbers. Personally I'd rather brag about ET numbers than dyno numbers.
I hear ya. Before the cam on some shitty falken tires I went 12.8@110 or so with a 2.0+ 60'. I'm putting my new 555s on. Not sure how much better they will be. I'm not putting drag radials on until I have a rear end put it. I'm hoping for a 12.4 or something. 60' will not be very good.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

I think the main problem with that intake is the heat soak. I have seen people with ported weiand intakes, swap over to LS6 intake and gain not only peak, but across the whole board as well. Antoehr down fall to that intake is how much weight you add to the motor. People will typically run this intake if they are sparying alot of nitrous, or putting alot of boost through the motor. The only way to tell the difference though would be to out the car on the same dyno with a LS6 intake in the same conditions and overlay the graphs. DO you konw wha tthe intake air temps were on your pulls?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris Gage
I think the main problem with that intake is the heat soak. I have seen people with ported weiand intakes, swap over to LS6 intake and gain not only peak, but across the whole board as well. Antoehr down fall to that intake is how much weight you add to the motor. People will typically run this intake if they are sparying alot of nitrous, or putting alot of boost through the motor. The only way to tell the difference though would be to out the car on the same dyno with a LS6 intake in the same conditions and overlay the graphs. DO you konw wha tthe intake air temps were on your pulls?
When the car is moving your not gonna see effects of heat soak. The air moves entirely too fast thru the intake at WOT for it to make a difference. Now in stop & go traffic where the car will be running for extended periods of time & possibly shut down to go in a store & let it soak up heat you might lose a couple HP but once you get fresh cooler air flowing thru the intake that heat soak isn't a concern.

Agreed you usally see more people with big nitrous or boosted set-ups running it b/c of it's added strength. But I believe more people dont run it b/c the eariler versions had sealing problems, false theories about heat soak (aka heat soak fear, LOL) & cost.

Normally a Weiand cost more than a LS6 right off the shelf & the LS6 will out perform it but if you can pick up a Weiand thats already ported for the price of a LS6, then I'd go Weiand for it's growth potiential over the LS6.

Quick Reply: Pat G custom cam results.