Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

427 LSX Build - DYNO RESULTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Adrian. I wish you lots of power when you get the true duals. What do you think about a ported 102 mm FAST LSXr and bigger TB? What other CAI's are available for you ?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You should look at .006 lift valve events and not only .050, and IVC is not the only valve event and IMO not THE most important event to take into consideration. IVO in relation to IVC has a big impact.
But what do I know, I'm just an anarchist
Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Will the new 102mm LSXr Intake with porting help Adrian out here, or is the "touched up" ls7 intake fine ? The CAI in his words is causing a restriction indicatated by the drop in MAP 98 to 94. What options are available ??

Best of luck man.

Do you have 1 7/8 Headers into a stock I pipe ?
I would love to test out one of the new 102mm LSXR intakes/throttle bodies =D The only touching up thats done on my LS7 manifold is some removal of casting flash near the injector bungs. The intake tracts remain completely untouched.

I have 1 7/8 ARH's into 3" I-pipe from a Mac cat back.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You should look at .006 lift valve events and not only .050, and IVC is not the only valve event and IMO not THE most important event to take into consideration. IVO in relation to IVC has a big impact.
But what do I know, I'm just an anarchist
I know exactly what you're saying Like I stated, my valve events are so close (within a 2 or 3 degrees and in some cases exactly the same) to what has been proven that there wouldn't be much of a difference in power (higher or lower) with a cam swap.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Well said Adrian. I wish you lots of power when you get the true duals. What do you think about a ported 102 mm FAST LSXr and bigger TB? What other CAI's are available for you ?
I will probably rebuild the Volant CAI so that the air tube for the filters is 4" maybe 4.5" and not 3" with some polished piping. That should take out any restrictions on the CAI front =D.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Haans249
I know exactly what you're saying Like I stated, my valve events are so close (within a 2 or 3 degrees and in some cases exactly the same) to what has been proven that there wouldn't be much of a difference in power (higher or lower) with a cam swap.
Take L92 for exemple the large split (Int Vs Exht) was also believed to be necessary and Pat G. himself broke the norm with his 223/231 113+4 LSA and look at the trq below curve

That is a LS2

All I'm saying is that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and mass production shop norms aren't always the best
Old 06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

LS7 heads are way different. We had one that was 230 / 25X and made over 600 at the wheels with a wider than 115 LSA so it's true that a deal with a 2.200 intake is a little different often. I think the cam is a good one for your combo although I don't know if I would have run that much advance on an LS7 type deal but it's not way off.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Take L92 for exemple the large split (Int Vs Exht) was also believed to be necessary and Pat G. himself broke the norm with his 223/231 113+4 LSA and look at the trq below curve

That is a LS2

All I'm saying is that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and mass production shop norms aren't always the best

Thats some nice torque! Were the heads ported? Intake setup? Exhaust/drivetrain? EWP? Compression? So many variables to consider, even different dyno. But I'm positive you already know the deal The L92/LS3 heads seem to like a very different cam combination compared to the LS7. No one has done more research on this than Katech, they have guys dedicated to designing cams for the LS7 and they tend to run even MORE split. So maybe I don't have enough split? Regardless as Mr. Koenig stated, not just your regular "mass production shop" has found similar results.

Mr. Koenig, you're right, I shouldn't have run so much advance, but I was trying to get my IVC to about 48 abdc. But like you said, its not far off.

Last edited by Haans249; 06-14-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

You got just a couple tweaks Adrian. Get rid of the air in and exhaust out restrictions and you got an absolute monster. Not to say its not a beast now, but it will be even more so after you can get more air in, and get rid of the exhaust more efficiently.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats some nice torque! Were the heads ported? Intake setup? Exhaust/drivetrain? EWP? Compression? So many variables to consider, even different dyno. But I'm positive you already know the deal The L92/LS3 heads seem to like a very different cam combination compared to the LS7. No one has done more research on this than Katech, they have guys dedicated to designing cams for the LS7 and they tend to run even MORE split. So maybe I don't have enough split? Regardless as Mr. Koenig stated, not just your regular "mass production shop" has found similar results.

Mr. Koenig, you're right, I shouldn't have run so much advance, but I was trying to get my IVC to about 48 abdc. But like you said, its not far off.
Mind you I did not say that your cam is bad, just that I would have done it slightly different. And I'm sure Katech has a lot of R&D in their setups. I like the way your setup is not mad thumping and the way it is mannered.
Are you going to do a few track runs?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Mind you I did not say that your cam is bad, just that I would have done it slightly different. And I'm sure Katech has a lot of R&D in their setups. I like the way your setup is not mad thumping and the way it is mannered.
Are you going to do a few track runs?
Haha, I certainly am going to once I can hook up a set of drag radials. I made some prelim runs and ran a 2.7 60ft 12.4 at 122mph. I take those numbers with a grain of salt because it was on street tires and I couldn't hook for the life of me. Mustang dyno i put it on had me trapping 138 and my car weighs somewhere between 3800-4K pounds with me in it.

You can make just about any cam thump with a few simple changes in the tune I'll post a idle vid in the next few days with it thumpin hard and idling like a baby so you can hear the difference. Its pretty dramatic.

You did basically say my cam is bad, but really its not a big deal to me. I'm simply having an educated debate, and I appreciate your thoughts! In no way am I getting upset/mad about what people have to say. It may "sound" like it on the internet, but not in reality. Its hard to put the right "emotion" to text on a forum haha.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did not say that it is bad and I do not want you to think so. I said that more trq could be produced (earlier in the band) with a different cam (at least that is what I meant).

But what I am forgetting is that it is your setup and is well thought out and that it seems to be doing exactly what YOU want. (not what I would like it to do )
My bad if my comments came out wrong

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-14-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just saw the youtube vid, your car is sounding good. I have one thing to say though, is it me or are those conical filters dirty as hell ?? That's part of your restriction right there. Your motor is trying to breath thru all that crud and dirt. Clean the filters and re dyno and I bet you gain 5 + rwhp. Just busting your ***** a little bit Adrian. Bad as ride.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, I certainly am going to once I can hook up a set of drag radials. I made some prelim runs and ran a 2.7 60ft 12.4 at 122mph. I take those numbers with a grain of salt because it was on street tires and I couldn't hook for the life of me. Mustang dyno i put it on had me trapping 138 and my car weighs somewhere between 3800-4K pounds with me in it.

You can make just about any cam thump with a few simple changes in the tune I'll post a idle vid in the next few days with it thumpin hard and idling like a baby so you can hear the difference. Its pretty dramatic.

You did basically say my cam is bad, but really its not a big deal to me. I'm simply having an educated debate, and I appreciate your thoughts! In no way am I getting upset/mad about what people have to say. It may "sound" like it on the internet, but not in reality. Its hard to put the right "emotion" to text on a forum haha.
So what cha think about Ross's Supra???
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

I did not say that it is bad and I do not want you to think so. I said that more trq could be produced (earlier in the band) with a different cam (at least that is what I meant).

But what I am forgetting is that it is your setup and is well thought out and that it seems to be doing exactly what YOU want. (not what I would like it to do )
My bad if my comments came out wrong
Haha, not a problem at all. You will see what it'll do once I straighten up a few of those items I mentioned. It will guaranteed make a lot more torque, even down low. This is how I spec'd my cam, and the valve events I have are already proven to make great torque (i'm just exhaust limited at the moment)

I just saw the youtube vid, your car is sounding good. I have one thing to say though, is it me or are those conical filters dirty as hell ?? That's part of your restriction right there. Your motor is trying to breath thru all that crud and dirt. Clean the filters and re dyno and I bet you gain 5 + rwhp. Just busting your ***** a little bit Adrian. Bad as ride.
Hahaha, dirty filters? Damn, maybe I should've cleaned them twice before my run and not just the night before! They're actually red, but the color on the camera is a little messed up because of the high contrast and washed some of the color out, but they were cleaned. The volant cones are usually blue, but I used K+N filter cleaner and oil

Originally Posted by Black2001z06
So what cha think about Ross's Supra???
Which one?! haha. They were also working on a 1500rwhp TT Viper. It looked very very nice, and very clean. It was black, my favorite color. Were you there Saturday?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I stand corrected on the filters. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Which one?! haha. They were also working on a 1500rwhp TT Viper. It looked very very nice, and very clean. It was black, my favorite color. Were you there Saturday?
His "street car"...I remember him putting lengths on my buddies 800hp SRT-4.
Yea, most of those TT Vipers belong to people in Rice Killers.
No I wasn't there, just been to that shop a couple times.

Congrats on finishing your build.
How are you liking it here so far?

Last edited by Black2001z06; 06-15-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black2001z06
His "street car"...I remember him putting lengths on my buddies 800hp SRT-4.
Yea, most of those TT Vipers belong to people in Rice Killers.
No I wasn't there, just been to that shop a couple times.

Congrats on finishing your build.
How are you liking it here so far?
I like fort worth quite a bit. Very nice! I don't mind that heat at all, makes for a talking point since I'm from the north and "not used to heat like this" hahaha.

Where are you located? We should get together sometime, shoot me a PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Not bad at all man, there is alot of potential for more power in there and the heat isn't helping the cause. Get that thing breathing right and you should see a very nice increase in power. I would take a look at intaketubes.com and make you a nice 4/4+ inch setup. When you get those duels that thing is gonna be even more of a beast.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Intaketubes.com doesn't exist anymore That is where I got my 4" tube that goes from my volant to the my throttlebody for a great price. I'll just have to get new filters and have a new intake portion built. Maybe i'll mold one out of what I already have from carbon-fiber or fiberglass and just make it larger.

Quick Reply: 427 LSX Build - DYNO RESULTS