Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

AFR 205/6016 cam...475 rwhp 425 rwtq

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Maybe some 5.3L heads would make more

Just kidding, that is great results out of Tony's combo. He had similar results, well done ...
That's funny Pred! Typical tech answer.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

OH yea, nice numbers to the OP. Sounds like a fun Vette. I'd like to build a C5 Vette that's very similar to yours if I ever get rid of the Camaro.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i never had it dynoed before the swap. never saw the need, plus i wasnt even sure where i was going to have the tune done before i started teardown.

i will get some track times as soon as i can, the next test and tune night at the dragstrip isnt until 21 august, and i am going to be in charleston for the weekend. after that is in sep some time. i will probably end up going and just bracket racing so i can get an idea of what it runs...probably wont get many runs in, but at least i will get some times.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Very strange that you didn't get any baseline numbers. Everyone gets a baseline so you have a good idea of where you started from vs where you end up.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_torch_red_vette
no i never had it dynoed before the swap. never saw the need, plus i wasnt even sure where i was going to have the tune done before i started teardown.

i will get some track times as soon as i can, the next test and tune night at the dragstrip isnt until 21 august, and i am going to be in charleston for the weekend. after that is in sep some time. i will probably end up going and just bracket racing so i can get an idea of what it runs...probably wont get many runs in, but at least i will get some times.
Just be careful of dropping the clutch on your differential, quite a few have gotten towed home this year so far.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

meh... i didnt feel the need to pay money to find out what my car isnt going to put down for power anymore. i cant imagine it was very far off from any other bone stock c5. after all a dyno is just a tuning aid anyways, and i had no need to tune my car before teardown. even if my numbers are from a happy dyno.. the peak hp isnt why i picked the combo i went with.. i wanted a proven combo with drivability and power throughout the rpm range. I couldnt be happier with the way it drives and i give tony tons of credit for a great setup

i put in a hardened left side output shaft and a trans/diff brace to hopefully avoid that whole ordeal. seems pretty common for vette guys to break the left output shaft.

i also did a 1/4" thick tunnel plate and plan on upgrading to z06 shocks springs and sway bars, as well as some braided steel break lines. this car is such a riot in the corners.. i cant wait to stiffen it up
Old 07-28-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Impressive numbers, I bet the car is a blast to drive.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Good numbers
Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The heads were a little more than "touched up" guys....

I did the same porting work to them as I have done to Pat G's larger cammed combo and a handful of others with great success.

I also ported his intake very neatly and thoroughly as well as his throttle body. Quench is right and overall its just a good combination of proven parts.

Its the only combination in fact that has matched my former 224/228 numbers in my own C5 (with my stock 346 obviously) though my heads were untouched and out of the box. However, I feel my combo was slightly more optimized and I had a ton of time invested in the tune to compensate.

Is the dyno a little generous?.....Maybe yes and maybe no but note none of the lower RPM torque figures look very out of line.....the difference is this combo carries it higher than most would expect with this small a cam (a really good cylinder head will allow that to happen as it doesn't need as much cam or valve timing to do so).

Lets see what the trap speeds and D/A have to say....if he can run around 124 or so (assuming a decent D/A) the numbers look to be in line. In the middle of August though it will be hard to run at any track and expect record setting air.

Power/torque curve looks great....call me cautiously optimistic about its authenticity!!

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 08-02-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like Mamofied heads really perform !!!!

Thanks for shedding a little light on the combo Tony.

PM Sent
Old 08-03-2009, 05:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
The heads were a little more than "touched up" guys....

I did the same porting work to them as I have done to Pat G's larger cammed combo and a handful of others with great success.

-Tony
Speaking of touched up1
Hows it coming? On my "touched up" heads?
Ed
Getting Psyched
Old 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
Speaking of touched up1
Hows it coming? On my "touched up" heads?
Ed
Getting Psyched
Your "touched up" heads are being worked on all this week!

Thanks for all your patience Ed.....should ship by the middle of next week or so.....maybe sooner

-Tony
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

I hope to finally have my car on a dyno in the next two weeks. I am also pretty curious to see what Tony's handywork on my heads and intake along with one of his baby cams can yield

Hopefully the OP gets a chance to run his car and posts up some numbers be they good or bad!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Guys, he's following a good bit of PatG's recipe to 500hp and the Mamo combo. He's clearly paying attention to details and it shows. Even if it is a bit of a happy dyno, this is stout for such a good mannered cam. We'd all like to see this supported with track times or another dyno, for sure. Fact is, this may be stout but it is perfectly believable. It's also in a vette, which has a much better factory intake and exhaust than the "other" LS1 platform.

Actually, I'll bet he's improving the recipe/combo a bit by running the big tube ARH headers and the chrome moly flywheel - which would help the dyno results.
He has the same heads a pat g thats it and same intake pat g's cam is a LOT bigger than a 224/228 its a 238/242 duration at .050, .605/.610 lift, 112 LSA
Old 08-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Teching In

I'm glad you posted this because this is the setup I plan to put into my camaro after i get back from iraq. I've been doing alot of research on this combo and it seems to be very consistent. So it drives like stock but how does the cam sound?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunryze88
I'm glad you posted this because this is the setup I plan to put into my camaro after i get back from iraq. I've been doing alot of research on this combo and it seems to be very consistent. So it drives like stock but how does the cam sound?
Has a mild lope, you know there is a cam in there but its not obnoxious.

Stay safe over there
Old 08-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Has a mild lope, you know there is a cam in there but its not obnoxious.

Stay safe over there

thanks trying my best to stay safe...thats perfect I don't want anything too obnoxious.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:21 AM
11 Second Club

I believe the numbers. Sounds like you did your homework and got it done right. Good Job. Those little extras that Tony does all add up.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

I wish I would have had my heads worked by Tony...Those numbers are nuts though but thats what happens with a thought out setup. Just goes to show that you dont need a "Donkey Dick" cam to put up DynoQueen numbers.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01_torch_red_vette

Any updates on this Mamo Combo? It only been 10 months.

Quick Reply: AFR 205/6016 cam...475 rwhp 425 rwtq