Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

DYNO RESULTS - Patriot LS6 style heads + G5X-3 cam...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,109 Likes on 727 Posts

FWIW 30 degrees of timing + 13:1 AF sounds like it will detonate in the summer time, car will be more like 14:1 on the street.

I'd go with less timing personally.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw his dyno right after he did it and he tuned th ecar perfectly. I have these heads as well alsong with a new Cam and LT Headers on My 2001 C5 A4 with a 3600 Yank TC & 3.42 gears.

My #'s now are 343 rwhp & 363 rwtq which I have recently run a best of 11.82 at 115 MPH.

I will post my dyno numbers next week. I am getting the Kooks Center section and x-pipe put on my car Nov 24th and will post results as soon as possible
Old 11-23-2003, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
FWIW 30 degrees of timing + 13:1 AF sounds like it will detonate in the summer time, car will be more like 14:1 on the street.

I'd go with less timing personally.
He tunes the A/F on the street and then dyno's it.

Tuned my car on the street and went to dyno and it showed 13.1 I have had no KR problems even in 98F heat outside.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Banned

Just to make it clear here I don't think in any way that the cam is the problem here. All signs appear to be pointing to the heads here. How do I deduct this? The car had Stage I 5.3L heads with a Thunder 224 cam before I changed heads and cam. I tuned it to 13.0:1 A/F @ 28 degrees timing and it ran 403.5rwhp. Not too bad for a cheap set of heads. Then I put the PP 6.0L heads on and retuned it perfectly the exact same way and the car put down 399rwhp

Then I put the G5X-3 cam in and the car picked up to 423rwhp - which is a 24rwhp gain over the 224 cam which is exactly what it should be. After talking offline with several other PP customers and vendors who have installed the heads it appears as though there are mixed and inconsistent results from these heads out there. Whether or not it is because some sets got special attention and some didn't I can't say - but I do know I never got the flow sheets I was promised

I'm going to discuss this with Terry tomorrow and if he tells me this is for sure his best work then I've already setup a straight up back to back test with another head porter on LS1 Tech and I will change only the heads - retune the car exactly the same way - and then post up the results in this thread. If the car picks up 20-25rwhp from 5.3L heads then someone will have some explaining to do

Chris
Old 11-23-2003, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm.. something is definately wrong. I'm running a smaller cam than you and made quite a bit more power with those heads.. even with my TSP mail order tune. Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just have to say congrats on the #'s.I don't think they are as bad as everyone is making them out to be

If your looking for more power,have you tried different timing?I've tuned some cars that made more power with timing at 26 degree's than 30.And some liked 32 degree's the best.It all depends on the compression and how the swirl affect is in the chamber.
A case in point.I dyno'd a H/C Cartek car that pulled 440hp and only had 24 degree's of timing.That is what the combo liked.More timing doesn't alway's mean more power
Old 11-23-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris,
I do not give someone better work than others.You have the exact same head that others have used to make outstanding power.At this point, I am not sure why you did not make better power.I believe the car should have made better power with the previous 5.3 head and 224 cam (403 seems low).I doubt you will see serious gains with another set of heads.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your looking for more power,have you tried different timing?I've tuned some cars that made more power with timing at 26 degree's than 30.And some liked 32 degree's the best.It all depends on the compression and how the swirl affect is in the chamber.
A case in point.I dyno'd a H/C Cartek car that pulled 440hp and only had 24 degree's of timing.That is what the combo liked.More timing doesn't alway's mean more power

I agree 100 %.With the new style chamber you have others have found better power with less timing.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
Chris,
I do not give someone better work than others.You have the exact same head that others have used to make outstanding power.At this point, I am not sure why you did not make better power.I believe the car should have made better power with the previous 5.3 head and 224 cam (403 seems low).I doubt you will see serious gains with another set of heads.
The other heads were Stage I heads so I would hope that going to Stage II LS6 style heads would yield a gain rather than a 4rwhp loss. I already ran the car at 26,28, and 30 degrees and it made the most power at 30 degrees. The car won't pick up 20-25 rwhp from lowering the timing a couple degrees - I can promise you that much.

I'm going to see how the other cars turn out with your heads and then I'll make my final judgements. You've been very fair with me so I'm not ready to write off the low numbers because of your heads - but I can promise eventually I'll figure out what the problem is. By next week it will all be sorted out
Old 11-23-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

this will be a good comparison just be careful that the next set of heads doesn't get special attention if possible. I also agree that the numbers arent bad at all. Grats!

Also just curious what kind of springs did you go with?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Another good comparison will be my car. I took the original LS6 style heads off my car and I'm replacing them with a new set that has the dual quench chambers and crane dual springs. We'll see how they compare to my others on Friday.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

Are the numbers SAE and can we see the graph?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll let you guys know how mine turn out in about 1 month.... but mine will have some special attention from my local head porter.. really just a light cleanup though.....
Old 11-23-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

I will post the graph for him tommorow.

I was pushing the patriot heads SO much, due to Terry and TSP's overwhealming results and customer service. Needless to say, I was dissapointed by our results, but we have another set going on next week. Hopefully I can come back with some good numbers.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gomer you have way too much money and time on your hands. This will be the third cahnge in under two months. What in the hell do you do for a living?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you guy's take some time out and look at people's sig's, not to many people are pushing the high #'s that are posted on this site.They run the same setup's but lower rwhp #'s.It can be a very expensive game trying to keep up in the HP wars
Old 11-24-2003, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
If you guy's take some time out and look at people's sig's, not to many people are pushing the high #'s that are posted on this site.They run the same setup's but lower rwhp #'s.It can be a very expensive game trying to keep up in the HP wars

Agreed its damn hard not to get caught up in the hp wars. And I agree that gomer
is rich , seriously good luck on the new setup gomer and any extra parts you have feel free to donate them my way
Old 11-24-2003, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Gomer you have way too much money and time on your hands. This will be the third cahnge in under two months. What in the hell do you do for a living?

LMFAO.. if you guys just knew. I drive a damn 1977 ford F150 every day because I am constantly modding my 2002 Z28 and my Mustang. Both of them are down now, so I'm driving the 10mpg truck because my girlfriend won't let me even touch my Maxima. Seriously though, this next set of heads that go on my car will be the fifth set of patriot's heads I've had on it, and I don't expect to do anything but gain power like I have with every other set. AND, Terry is doing the Canfield heads for my mustang that I'll be picking up from him Monday. It really makes me feel bad when guys spend their time and money moding their cars and don't get the results they expect I live for modding my car, I take mustard sandwiches to work with me so I won't have to spend money to eat out... I've got it bad and as soon as I get my income tax money this year I'm doing something on a larger scale to the car Don't give up hope guys, I know that IF and that is a HUGE "IF" the problem turns out to be the heads, Terry will make it all better... Do the math on five sets of LS1 heads, one set of LT1 heads, and one set of 5.0 ford heads.. I've spent some serious $$ with him this year and I don't let just anyone have my cash, he's on the "trusted" list.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gomer
Another good comparison will be my car. I took the original LS6 style heads off my car and I'm replacing them with a new set that has the dual quench chambers and crane dual springs. We'll see how they compare to my others on Friday.
What exactly is this "dual quench" chamber, and when did Terry start doing this? Is it something he is trying out or something he has started doing recently? Seems like everytime I get something from him, he comes out with something better and I have to send my stuff in for an exchange. Please enlighten me.
EDIT: I just checked out his website, and under the picture of "new improved chamber", there is none other than my heads! I thought the springs looked familiar, then I compared the small scrapes you can see in the pic. They match perfectly with mine. I guess this means I have the new chamber! I hope.

Last edited by Beast96Z; 11-24-2003 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
What exactly is this "dual quench" chamber, and when did Terry start doing this? Is it something he is trying out or something he has started doing recently? Seems like everytime I get something from him, he comes out with something better and I have to send my stuff in for an exchange. Please enlighten me.
EDIT: I just checked out his website, and under the picture of "new improved chamber", there is none other than my heads! I thought the springs looked familiar, then I compared the small scrapes you can see in the pic. They match perfectly with mine. I guess this means I have the new chamber! I hope.

Yeah, all the sets that have been sold were the "dual quench" chamber. I bought the first set of the LS6 style heads. Mine were the prototype ones (I knew this when I bought them), so that is why I'm upgrading now. My set had different chambers and an exhaust port that didn't flow as good. The ones that he is selling now should be a good bit better than my old ones.. we'll find out soon.

Quick Reply: DYNO RESULTS - Patriot LS6 style heads + G5X-3 cam...