Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

455 RWHP/409 RWTQ baseline pull........Thanks TEA

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:05 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think for a vender to keep cam specs a secret but want you to buy it ,that is wrong. But when a fellow racer wants to keep his specs a secret than that is cool with me. Some people dont have money(me) to keep changing parts to be top dog and when you get a combo that works great then you want to hold your secret as long as possible. In the mustang world of class raceing , they dont give out no info on there combo.
Nice work Damien.
Thanks man, I am glad you understand and still give me props. I didn't bust my ***** swapping 3 cams just to give away all my time and R&D work....not to mention I am not mass producting these cams. Preciate the kind words brother

Josh nice numbers.Man i cant think of the last time I talked to you.I thought my433/408 was good but yours is great makes me wish i would of made a no cat and a cutout pull dont think i would of had anything for you but a 440 something was doable.
Thanks bro, long time no speak. We'll be ridin out to Steele soon, maybe you can, meet up?

i think a person keeping their cam specs secret is pretty stupid...but to each his own...

with that kind of attitude i personally couldn't care less about the specs of your cam...its not like your setup has set a record for h/c power. so far we know tea 1.5's and some fms cam make 45X hp...yippie

why even start the post? i guess your just real proud of yourself!

maybe your gonna send a huge order to comp for your specifc magical 455rw cam and sell them for $400+ like a sponsor ...lol
Yep, I am proud of myself. Sorry you feel that way, really doesn't hurt my feelings. I am not a sponsor and I am not selling these cams by the 100's, so I do not have to give out the specs if I don't wish. If it wads your panties, I apologize....

I wonder what horsepower he could make with LS6 heads.
LMFAO... ..I didn't even notice he said he had LS6 heads. Haha, Good job buddy, you make ONE more ft lbs than me, and a measily 8 more rwhp with LS6 heads and I'm not even tuned yet. Shouldn't have a problem matching or beating those #'s with a tune and with 5.3 heads, should be interesting to say the least.

This is fun guys, but lets keep it at least semi-civil in here

josh
Old 11-28-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratz Josh, those are some killer numbers. Can't wait till that thing is tuned and running some killer numbers out at the track. These measly little 5.3's have to be the best bang for the buck head around.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

just waundering did you get the tuning done in GA and if so where at? Nice numbers.....josh
Old 11-28-2003, 11:59 AM
LSX Mechanic

Congratz Josh, those are some killer numbers. Can't wait till that thing is tuned and running some killer numbers out at the track. These measly little 5.3's have to be the best bang for the buck head around.
Thanks Brent, no doubt TEA is one of the top LS1/LS6 cylinder head porters around. I couldn't be happier with these lil 5.3L heads, thanks again. Hope to meet you guys next year sometime at one of the events.

Originally Posted by Quikws6
just waundering did you get the tuning done in GA and if so where at? Nice numbers.....josh
Thanks bro. My car isn't "tuned" yet, right now I am running on a mail order tune from Jayson @ MTI. I will send you a PM on local tuners...
Old 11-28-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Damian
Thanks Brent, no doubt TEA is one of the top LS1/LS6 cylinder head porters around. I couldn't be happier with these lil 5.3L heads, thanks again. Hope to meet you guys next year sometime at one of the events.
I hope we can meet sometime. It's been nice talking to you over the phone and through the internet. Hopefully I'll have my car out to some races next year and we can meet then.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hardtop
Did you just roll out of bed and hit your head on something? Maybe then you would have an excuse for that ignorant post. Damian spent his own money developing his setup. If he, or a sponser, doesn't want to give up their cam specs they don't have to. I have never had a problem with someone keeping their cam specs secret. I sensed no "attitude" from his post either. I would be damn proud of myself, if I put together a combination that made that kind of power. Don't think Comp will be grinding a copy of his cam. Why don't you just

Bruce
i saw attitude through the whole thread...whenever someone asked for some specs he made a smar@#$% comment

spent his own money developing???...ya ok

he did it in his garage... ...like many people here

im not knocking his #'s...all of us can see they are good, im knocking the fact he thinks he should pull a 007 and keep his specs secret...like everyone in the country will go out and get a cam ground to those specs and a set of tea 1.5's
Old 11-28-2003, 01:10 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
i saw attitude through the whole thread...whenever someone asked for some specs he made a smar@#$% comment

spent his own money developing???...ya ok

im not knocking his #'s...all of us can see they are good, im knocking the fact he thinks he should pull a 007 and keep his specs secret...like everyone in the country will go out and get a cam ground to those specs and a set of tea 1.5's
Mike, I had ZERO attitude in this entire thread. I am merely playing around, just not going to give out my specs.....yet. And yes, people will go out and ground these EXACT specs, get TEA heads, and hope they can make the same power. It happens ALL the time. Ever heard of bandwagons? Bunch's of them around here...Also, you're damn right I spent my own money in R&D work. I swapped two sets of heads, and 3 cams to make this #. I had some issues that needed working through with each combo, and I work through them, found a solution, and here is the final result. I didn't take my car to a shop and pay them 10,000 to do their own R&D work and install everything on my car. Therefor, it's MY R&D work.

Please enlighten me on how many heads/cam packages on this board make 455 rwhp garage built.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

mine was absolute 5.3's an a g5x2 and alot more. in my driveway fly-cutting pistons an all

congrats
Old 11-28-2003, 02:33 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by blue2kss
mine was absolute 5.3's an a g5x2 and alot more. in my driveway fly-cutting pistons an all

congrats
Congrats, you and I are one of the very few. Nice #'s....
Old 11-28-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people just bitch for the sake of bitching i think anyway man great numbers. hell i took my mods out of my site cause, well its not a lot of money or much research but i still have done it, i have done so many little changes to make my car run right. im faster than cars just like mine around here with the same mods just from different places and just different tuning. i dont blame u if u dont ever tell the spec. after all that you went through to get it i wouldnt. now if i drop u a pm and ask for advice i would hope u would give me some kind of advice but i wouldnt ask for your cam numbers, and your right hell i would go buy it if u told me the specs thats prob how most people have their mods, from others success stories, but if u got 390 rwhp from it then i would never get it.....awesome job man!
Old 11-28-2003, 04:44 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
some people just bitch for the sake of bitching i think anyway man great numbers. hell i took my mods out of my site cause, well its not a lot of money or much research but i still have done it, i have done so many little changes to make my car run right. im faster than cars just like mine around here with the same mods just from different places and just different tuning. i dont blame u if u dont ever tell the spec. after all that you went through to get it i wouldnt. now if i drop u a pm and ask for advice i would hope u would give me some kind of advice but i wouldnt ask for your cam numbers, and your right hell i would go buy it if u told me the specs thats prob how most people have their mods, from others success stories, but if u got 390 rwhp from it then i would never get it.....awesome job man!
Thanks man, I appreciate your attitude.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:47 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRedHope

As For Damian being real proud of himself, Im quite sure he is. Im also sure this IS a record for TEA heads. Lets not forget, he did this in his garage. 1500 for TEA heads and a 400 dollar camshaft. The only other people I see making 450rwhp + are with shop packages and LS6 heads. I wonder how much they have in their setup Vs Damian????hmmmmmm
I am 99.99% sure I am making 450rwhp+ with my TEA 5.3' truck heads and I built it in my garage with my own 2 hands. It recently went 10.9 @ 124.x on 7 cylinders with an outta wack tune. Its all in the combo.
Phillip
Old 11-28-2003, 04:54 PM
7 Second Club

And to further my last post, I believe that the performance of a given combo will be directly related to the consistently of the cylinder heads. We all running very close setups where the cam duration are within 6 degrees and the flow #s are within 5cfm runner to runner. I would bet that if you dynoed the cars that made 450rwhp and post great track times you'll find a couple of things.....

1) Leakdown <3-6%
2) Consistent flow #s for all 8 intake and exhaust runners
3) Decent supporting parts.

Anyone can build a set of cylinder heads and have one port flow that flows well but if you have 3 ports that are down 10-30cfm your car isn't going to make good power.
Phillip
Old 11-28-2003, 05:01 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I am 99.99% sure I am making 450rwhp+ with my TEA 5.3' truck heads and I built it in my garage with my own 2 hands. It recently went 10.9 @ 124.x on 7 cylinders with an outta wack tune. Its all in the combo.
Phillip
Phillip, you have 12.2:1 compression and a lot bigger cam than I do. The equates for a lot in some areas. I agree with what you're saying, but keep in mind most other cars on this site making 450+ have BIG cams, lots of compression, LS6 heads, and proper dyno tuning. I do not have any of those, and I make 455 rwhp without tuning FWIW...

Josh
Old 11-28-2003, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LilRedHope
As For Damian being real proud of himself, Im quite sure he is. Im also sure this IS a record for TEA heads. Lets not forget, he did this in his garage. 1500 for TEA heads and a 400 dollar camshaft. The only other people I see making 450rwhp + are with shop packages and LS6 heads. I wonder how much they have in their setup Vs Damian????hmmmmmm

I did mine in my driveway. The list is short, but as soon as the LSx intake comes out and more people start installing the newer heads that are coming out and as good as the cams or getting too... the number of people that do what we have done will be huge. It's all about getting parts that work together and I CANNOT stress how much a good tune is worth. Congrats again Damian.. let me know when you guys are coming to steele, I'll ride down and say hey

btw.. my mail order tune was good for 448rwhp, I only picked up 4 more hp after tweaking some.. so don't get your hopes up too high.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:17 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by gomer
I did mine in my driveway. The list is short, but as soon as the LSx intake comes out and more people start installing the newer heads that are coming out and as good as the cams or getting too... the number of people that do what we have done will be huge. It's all about getting parts that work together and I CANNOT stress how much a good tune is worth. Congrats again Damian.. let me know when you guys are coming to steele, I'll ride down and say hey

btw.. my mail order tune was good for 448rwhp, I only picked up 4 more hp after tweaking some.. so don't get your hopes up too high.
Yeah, I am not hoping for to much out of the tune. However if I only gain 5 rwhp, thats 460 rwhp

I have power waiting on other areas....Elec. WP, shortbelt, custom intake(air intake, not manifold) I am going to build, etc....I am not "hoping" for 470 rwhp, but I do not think it's impossible with my combo. We'll see. If it doesn't make another hair over 455, i'll still be happy. That is stout #'s considering my mild combination and 5.3L heads..

Josh
Old 11-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow!!!! This thread has sparked some interest.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:01 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
Phillip, you have 12.2:1 compression and a lot bigger cam than I do. The equates for a lot in some areas. I agree with what you're saying, but keep in mind most other cars on this site making 450+ have BIG cams, lots of compression, LS6 heads, and proper dyno tuning. I do not have any of those, and I make 455 rwhp without tuning FWIW...
Josh
Josh,
Your correct. Bigger cams bleed off more compression than smaller cams, also my cam is ground with 0 advance so it bleeds off even more compression than one with 4 degrees of advance. If you calculate it my 12.2:1 + Cam and valve timing events is probably = to a 11.0:1 224/228. I just chose to try a different setup. My car has not yet been tuned.

455 is an absolutely great dyno # but what does it do at the track? You should be able to do 124-5mph pretty easy. My car is a full weight corvette and at during the first few shakedown passes it was doing 124-125 on basically 7 cylinders and untuned.

Backtracking, I am not trying to get off track, your car does show good potiental but dyno's aren't real world data IMO. They are for tuning not for racing. I would love to see what kind of MPH your car does at the track thats a great indicator of how much HP your making. I am not hating just want to see real world data not dyno graphs. Total engine airflow makes some great heads.
Phillip
Old 11-28-2003, 07:12 PM
LSX Mechanic

Phillip, no doubt about it i'll be producing track results soon. I do not care to dyno race, the only reason I made this thread was to A: Let people know that TEA heads make GREAT power, B: Show off a little , and C: Display the potential of the setup...

Josh,
Your correct. Bigger cams bleed off more compression than smaller cams, also my cam is ground with 0 advance so it bleeds off even more compression than one with 4 degrees of advance. If you calculate it my 12.2:1 + Cam and valve timing events is probably = to a 11.0:1 224/228. I just chose to try a different setup. My car has not yet been tuned.
This is a good point you make. My cam is on a 114 with zero advance, and the motor is roughly ~11.3:1 compression. I was having some SEVERE detonation problems with my last cam, and it was mainly because of duration, ICL, and overall timing events. I came up with a formula to reduce my overall dynamic compression, and THATS how I came up with this cam. It worked beautifuly....

This will be the last dyno thread you see from me. Even if I get the car dialed in and it makes 470 rwhp, I will be posting track results instead....

Now who's cable am I gonna add my VIN to for tuning purposes?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love when people say FULL WEIGHT. Your full weight and my full weight can be a 100 to 200lbs difference. My buddies 99FRC is 3200lbs FULL WEIGHT. 3400lbs with him in the car most likely. When I weighed my car with me in it it was 3750lbs FULL WEIGHT. To me FULL WEIGHT is driving it off the showroom floor and taking it to the track. Drag radials out back can help you with traction. Switching wheels, removing spare/jack/rear seats, etc., is not FULL WEIGHT. It probably takes 25rwhp to move 100lbs. From there the horsepower needed to move something rolling decreases, but if I weigh 300 to 400lbs more than the next person and I dyno say 455rwhp.. You will see the results of a 410rwhp car probably. Basically what I am saying is Josh is going to have to equal the weight of the guys trapping 124 to 125mph. Most people guess their weights and weigh 200lbs less than what they report on this board. I say do not expect any stellar times if Josh is driving.. He's going to have to hire Allan Futral to get him the times his car should be running.. I would take her down the track for you Josh, but the weight penalty would hurt you even though I've been banned from the track from having a shifter that looks like a 6 speed shifter when it is actually a powerglide. You just have to know how to row..

Quick Reply: 455 RWHP/409 RWTQ baseline pull........Thanks TEA