Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Cartek 4-XS Heads and Cam results inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So what is the point of posting on a tech board about a setup if not to discuss it?
And in internal section at that!
Otherwise just post a graph in Dyno section saying: proprietry 346 combo (can't discuss) but this is the power it made !!

You get pissed because someone or some poeple want to know how you did it?
Was your post just an advertising pub?

You yourself have shown the whole world what the truth really is: You do not even know what Cartek built for you (at leat deeper than surface). You had $$, you paid and you drive. Some of us build our own stuff, know every bolt in our engines and that is why the tech stuff interests us. And if someone else builds anything for us, they better be ready to spill the beans about what is in it.

On top of this, I have to remember every combo since 2004?
Man are you sure you are not a Honda owner in disguise? Because that is the kind of logic they apply.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing that was definitely accomplished here is that CARTEK successfully used this tread as a marketing tool (look at all the hits)...nothing like getting free publicity...smart move!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by david vericker
The one thing that was definitely accomplished here is that CARTEK successfully used this tread as a marketing tool (look at all the hits)...nothing like getting free publicity...smart move!
yeah great advertising...

Chad
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

from what i have read about cartek its the way they do business ........they do all the leg work, so why not keep the key pieces sum what discreet......its a business......and if someone wants to push the envelope why not help them, the best way you know how.....rolling the dice, sure.... but with an educated guess!

it does not sound like its the customers 1st rodeo & i know its not carteks.....

they have alot of very happy repeat customers......and if you have not noticed, that region puts out alot of very fast m6 cars than any where else that i have noticed.......

keep up the good work cartek!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by david vericker
They are not to blame, after all this is what 90% of LS1tech is now all about.
The true tech days are long gone, I think it should be renamed
Even I (who has been an avid defender to keep good tech in it) am becoming discouraged of the way it all turned out.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
The true tech days are long gone, I think it should be renamed
Even I (who has been an avid defender to keep good tech in it) am becoming discouraged of the way it all turned out.
I can certainly understand the sentiment. I agree it is always better to evaluate a product when information is shared. I never have completely understood the 'cam proprietary' philosophy. Once one person has that cam, isn't easy to figure it out?

While I think this is an unique setup, I would speculate that only 1/2 of 1% of LS1Tech members normally rev that high. There are so many ways to make power, so I think that is why there is so much interest in this thread.

Predator-Z, I understand your frustration. Times have changed and it is hard to get back to the pure tech of years past.

In no way is this a 'slam', so OP/Sponsors please do not take this personally. I am just offering an opinion, and also yearn for more tech info..

Thanks for listening..

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nimitz87

Chad
Yeah,controversial treads draw the most interest,bare none. It's not your opinion or mine that matters,but rather the ability to stir the interest of the public into buying this package. As you can see from the various posts that there are numerous individuals that consider spinning a relatively stock 346 bottom end to 7700 revs no big deal,so those individuals are obviously your potential market for said package. As they say,different strokes for different folks and some people are willing to gamble everything on making that last ounce of power...no matter the eventual consequences.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM
CARTEK Racing

Red face

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
I can certainly understand the sentiment. I agree it is always better to evaluate a product when information is shared. I never have completely understood the 'cam proprietary' philosophy. Once one person has that cam, isn't easy to figure it out?

While I think this is an unique setup, I would speculate that only 1/2 of 1% of LS1Tech members normally rev that high. There are so many ways to make power, so I think that is why there is so much interest in this thread.

Predator-Z, I understand your frustration. Times have changed and it is hard to get back to the pure tech of years past.

In no way is this a 'slam', so OP/Sponsors please do not take this personally. I am just offering an opinion, and also yearn for more tech info..

Thanks for listening..

..WeathermanShawn..

The tech of years past?

Come on...

I signed up on this forum the first day it was up. I think in a timeline, I am member 128 or something... I have been around this forum since, litteraly "day one" and I can tell you that at no time, did any shop, give out cam specs on a setup of this nature. Sure you can look to the Thunder Racing 228 cams, and the MS1-2-3 cams that are sold by parts distributors who also do installs [please do no take offence] but CARTEK is a build shop first and formost. This was a first of its kinds setup for CARTEK and if others' would like it they are more than welcomed to contact CARTEK about it. This is not a mass produced kit of parts, its is a carefuly crafted setup.

It was the same with the 4X setup, I was the first to try it, once it was proven, others inquired about it and more were sold. Anyone who wants one can get it, but CARTEK always had a philosophy of custom tailoring the product to the end user. This is why when you call, they will ask you what you are looking to do, how fast you want to go, what do you already have, as apposed to simply asking you for a part number and credit card.

We spend hours discussing options for what we wanted to see in the end. This was not simply pick out parts from a catalog and bolt 'em on. Now that the "hard work" is done, I think they deserve credit for what they have accomplised both intelectualy, and financially. This is why, information is kept private.

As far as "Once one person has that cam, isn't easy to figure it out?" I am not sure I understand the question, but if my understanding is correct, once one car has the cam, its easy to figure out. Well, one car has that cam, now, can you figure it out? lol

Thanks for the props guys, and for the nay sayers, I am sorry I can not please all by giving up every bit of data. It is not my intelectual property to expose. But if you want, I can tell you my shoe size since that is about the only thing that has not already been said on this or other forums about myself and my car.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Question

I agree 100% why all the deceit/pulling teeth? to this day I will not get over how companies have "proprietary cams"

I'm not buying something if I don't know the specs....what is the PTV w/ the heads? what head gaskets are they running?

at least give us a 24x/25x

SCR/DCR?

I take it that you also absolutely refuse to dine at a fine restaurant unless the head chef comes out of the kitchen and provides you with an in depth/detailed spreadsheet of all of his recipes as well?

Originally Posted by BADD SS
If someone is building the car FOR you, why should you need ptv? they are doing the work, if it fails its their responsibility. I can understand not wanting to share, because thats how people win races, or stay in the lead.
I didnt see any deceit, there was another guy who WAS deceitfull with a fast combo, he lied blatently about his setup, what I see here is just people not wanting to share a good setup for free... Which is fine when its a money making game, why should they tell you so you can do it yourself and not go through them? That would be dumb, and bad business practices for them.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
The tech of years past?

Come on...

I signed up on this forum the first day it was up. I think in a timeline, I am member 128 or something... I have been around this forum since, litteraly "day one" and I can tell you that at no time, did any shop, give out cam specs on a setup of this nature. Sure you can look to the Thunder Racing 228 cams, and the MS1-2-3 cams that are sold by parts distributors who also do installs [please do no take offence] but CARTEK is a build shop first and formost. This was a first of its kinds setup for CARTEK and if others' would like it they are more than welcomed to contact CARTEK about it. This is not a mass produced kit of parts, its is a carefuly crafted setup.

It was the same with the 4X setup, I was the first to try it, once it was proven, others inquired about it and more were sold. Anyone who wants one can get it, but CARTEK always had a philosophy of custom tailoring the product to the end user. This is why when you call, they will ask you what you are looking to do, how fast you want to go, what do you already have, as apposed to simply asking you for a part number and credit card.

We spend hours discussing options for what we wanted to see in the end. This was not simply pick out parts from a catalog and bolt 'em on. Now that the "hard work" is done, I think they deserve credit for what they have accomplised both intelectualy, and financially. This is why, information is kept private.

As far as "Once one person has that cam, isn't easy to figure it out?" I am not sure I understand the question, but if my understanding is correct, once one car has the cam, its easy to figure out. Well, one car has that cam, now, can you figure it out? lol

Thanks for the props guys, and for the nay sayers, I am sorry I can not please all by giving up every bit of data. It is not my intelectual property to expose. But if you want, I can tell you my shoe size since that is about the only thing that has not already been said on this or other forums about myself and my car.
Then why post in an internal TECH forum? If all your info is confidential.
As I mentionned post in the dyno section, I'll give you the title.
CARTEK confidential 346 combo, see results

So everytime someone posts about results we are just supposed to say; Wow, congrats, where did you buy?

Cam specs at generic duration and LSA; expl: 245/253 111 LSA will not allow anyone to duplicate it.
Head specs like TFS 59cc 2.08/1.6 valves will not divulge valve job, radius cut, bowl blend angles etc.
12:1 compression will not reveal tuning tech.

Do you catch my drift?

So no one is asking to divulge Cartek secret handshake, it would just give a reader the general knowledge of what it takes and a clearer pic of the setup at hand.

That is the whole issue, if this IS a tech forum. Otherwise what was posted is just an advertisement, and of little interest to a TECH minded person.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by heymoej
from what i have read about cartek its the way they do business ........they do all the leg work, so why not keep the key pieces sum what discreet......its a business......and if someone wants to push the envelope why not help them, the best way you know how.....rolling the dice, sure.... but with an educated guess!

it does not sound like its the customers 1st rodeo & i know its not carteks.....

they have alot of very happy repeat customers......and if you have not noticed, that region puts out alot of very fast m6 cars than any where else that i have noticed.......

keep up the good work cartek!
Well stated and I agree.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Fact is, this is a shop car (privately owned) that Cartek spent quite a few hours nailing down the setup to run a number (I'm guessing it's 9's or bust???). Was this thread simply an advertisement, sure, but what's wrong with that. It would be a different story if this was simply an off the shelf bolt-on deal, but it wasn't. I'm sure every detail has been checked and double checked. What's been done to the heads, block, valvetrain etc is for Cartek to know and buyers to find out. So what if it's a black box type deal, if you have the cash, and want the result, then drop the car off and pick it up when it's done.

I'm sure this wasn't meant to be the latest/greatest head cam install post found in the dyno section.

Congrats to the parties involved, the weather is getting nicer, best of luck on hitting the number.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chad
It really is. It shows that after many years of pushing the limits of the 346, they're still at it with new stuff. They're older ported LS6 heads and big cam combos years ago were impressive to say the least, and I've yet to see a Cartek combo not perform either in person or online. Rather than settle with proven combos they're continuing to make improvements.

And who cares if they don't give out the specs? As long as the cam fits and works as advertised... Besides you can easily get the specs without a cam card
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I take it that you also absolutely refuse to dine at a fine restaurant unless the head chef comes out of the kitchen and provides you with an in depth/detailed spreadsheet of all of his recipes as well?

The only caviate to that is if I were allergic to something, I'd want to make 100% certain the chef was honest with a list of ingrediants. You don't have to tell me how to make it, just tell me what's in it.... I guess that's the crux of this thread.

So we know it's stock cube, with notched factory pistons (I can't beleive the ringlands are holding together this long), a modified intake manfold, non-factory styel, 1 7/8 long tubes with most likely dumps on a 6 speed with tall gears in a non-factory rear. I think that's enough of the ingrediants to make anyone happy. But it takes a chef to take ingredients and turn them into cuisine.

Oh, and another Nov 2001 member, and a crappy speller.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
It really is. It shows that after many years of pushing the limits of the 346, they're still at it with new stuff. They're older ported LS6 heads and big cam combos years ago were impressive to say the least, and I've yet to see a Cartek combo not perform either in person or online. Rather than settle with proven combos they're continuing to make improvements.
Good points but most (all?) of those cams years ago weren't all that big (though maybe somewhat large for the time period depending on one's perspective) though.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The only caviate to that is if I were allergic to something, I'd want to make 100% certain the chef was honest with a list of ingrediants.
True, that part is important.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread sucks......

WS6transam01, does it bother you when people ask questions about your setup? You come off as if you don't want to talk to anyone who hasn't read all the threads on your car.

I'm sorry that I don't feel like searching all your posts from day 1. Just seems logical to ask questions about a car in a thread thats about the very same car. Lets get back on topic...

Do you have a dyno graph to post from your old set up? Maybe with a small, discrete list of things you have changed?

I also would like to know your race weight.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

car sounds like it should hopefully run some good numbers!!!....

i spun my 100k motor with a trex to 7500+ for a year strait with no problems.stok rod bolts..... when i mean a year strait, i mean every day. ended up spinning a cam bearing but oh well...

these motors can handle more than we think!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
CARTEK Racing

So everytime someone posts about results we are just supposed to say; Wow, congrats, where did you buy?

Cam specs at generic duration and LSA; expl: 245/253 111 LSA will not allow anyone to duplicate it.
Head specs like TFS 59cc 2.08/1.6 valves will not divulge valve job, radius cut, bowl blend angles etc.

Do you catch my drift?

So no one is asking to divulge Cartek secret handshake, it would just give a reader the general knowledge of what it takes and a clearer pic of the setup at hand.

That is the whole issue, if this IS a tech forum. Otherwise what was posted is just an advertisement, and of little interest to a TECH minded person.
A. I will never tell you CARTEK's secret handshake!

B. Like I said before, I do not even know the valve sizes or the combustion chamber size. The heads were milled, but that is just about as far as my curiosity went. I never even asked for valve size. Or compression for that matter, I said I do not want to run race gas, I said I drive the car on the street 3000-4000 miles a year, Julio said okay and went to work.

I think every detail has been given minus the cam. Everyone knows just about every detail of the car at this point.

Originally Posted by stoverz28

WS6transam01, does it bother you when people ask questions about your setup? You come off as if you don't want to talk to anyone who hasn't read all the threads on your car.

I'm sorry that I don't feel like searching all your posts from day 1. Just seems logical to ask questions about a car in a thread thats about the very same car. Lets get back on topic...

Do you have a dyno graph to post from your old set up? Maybe with a small, discrete list of things you have changed?

I also would like to know your race weight.
It does not bother me at all, but depending on the wording of the post I may over react and be defensive. Once again, that is my shortcoming.

Things that have changed from my 10.32 setup are:
CARTEK/TFS 225s instead of CARTEK 4X 243's
CARTEK 4-XS cam instead CARTEK 4X cam
VIC Jr/Elbow/Accufab instead FAST 90/90
1-7/8" Headers for 1-3/4" Headers

Tick Faceplated T56 for Stock [doubt this changes power output on dyno]

Everything else is the same, same clutch, same rear, same gear, same injectors, same bolt ons, same suspention.

I will see if I can get the old and new setup on the same dyno sheet. I can post the old dyno alone, but they are set to different scales and hard to compare.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Im curious to see what the new track times are gonna be. Are you gonna take it to the track anytime soon Alex?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Do you catch my drift?

+ a billion....I guess we are in the minority here though.

Chad

Quick Reply: Cartek 4-XS Heads and Cam results inside.