Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Low or About Right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low or About Right?

2001 WS6, LS6 Intake, AFR 228/228 cam, heads ported by AFR, 3" Longtube SLP Headers and Hi-Flo Cats, FloPro Muffler 3" in and out, undercrank pulley...everything else is minor regarding power adders.

These are the first and third pulls with some tweaking along the way...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by danbrazda; 01-23-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Auto or M6, I didn't see it in your posting. If auto, I would say that's not bad. if M6 I would think you would be around 410-420rwhp. But all dyno's are different.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Auto or M6, I didn't see it in your posting. If auto, I would say that's not bad. if M6 I would think you would be around 410-420rwhp. But all dyno's are different.
It's an M6. I feel it is a bit low and trying to figure out where I'm losing the HP. The prior owner claimed 440rwhp which I think is high so reality is more than likely somewhere in between. Car runs great at idle and WOT so there's nothing obvious to point where the HOP is going. Tune from above graph was done by Frost who many of you know- GREAT guy. I'm just reluctant to move to the next step (ATI Procharger) before knowing whether or not something else needs attention first. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by danbrazda; 01-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got any paperwork proving the heads were ported ? Maybe the previous owner just told you that to help sell you on buying the car.

As far as good ole Frosty goes, I almost 100% guarantee there is nothing wrong with the tune. Keep in mind you got a pretty mild cam, NO FAST, and your headers aren't exactly known for making the most power. Try some ARH 1 3/4 with a cutout, or just add a cutout to what you have to see how much improvement you get. I'd consider the cutout before buying new headers. JMO.

Best thing is that you said it idles and drives excellent, just doesn't make the power you'd think. I pointed out a few possibilities, let us know what you do.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Got any paperwork proving the heads were ported ? Maybe the previous owner just told you that to help sell you on buying the car.

As far as good ole Frosty goes, I almost 100% guarantee there is nothing wrong with the tune. Keep in mind you got a pretty mild cam, NO FAST, and your headers aren't exactly known for making the most power. Try some ARH 1 3/4 with a cutout, or just add a cutout to what you have to see how much improvement you get. I'd consider the cutout before buying new headers. JMO.

Best thing is that you said it idles and drives excellent, just doesn't make the power you'd think. I pointed out a few possibilities, let us know what you do.

i agree i dont see afr porting stock castings if they are stamped thats another thing but your numbers arnt too far off
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Wow- great insight already. Thanks. Yeah, Steve seems to know his stuff so I don't doubt him at all. The previous owner also seems to know his stuff so that's why I'm a bit confused. Bottom line- I will continue to proceed cautiously as I have to this point.... more to come.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

How much do you think the cutout really adds HP-wise?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

The Dude I bought the car from is up in your neck of the woods- NW of Chicago. He has frequented these boards in the past and I have invited him through phone calls and emails to join this conversation but... nothing so far. CJ- are you out there? Not trying to pick a fight- just want to follow-through with what was promised with the sale which was ALL paperwork from day one of this ONE OWNER CAR.

Last edited by danbrazda; 01-23-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are unported heads it looks pretty strong for a cam only car. If they are truely AFR ported heads the numbers look a little low. A cutout gained me 17hp over my factory SLP dual dual exhaust.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Dan-
I got your email with the graphs-
As the original owner of the car I can give you a few extra details.

When the car put down 438 rwhp it was with the off road pipes on and the cut out wide open. (NO cats!)
The headers on the car are FLP,(finish line performance) not SLP. Swapping the offroads for the cats on the FLP headers takes 10 minutes. I know its taken me FOREVER but I will ship those bad boy off road pipes so you can get that car breathing like it should.
UNCAP the cutout/dump next time as well!!

I did some dyno testing back in the day with the off road pipes vs cats, and the cutout open vs closed.

On a heads and cam car, the cats held back approx 10-14 HP and the cut out closed held back another 10+.
On a stock, or very mildly modded ls1 car, off road pipes might only yield about 6-9 hp and the cut out another 5-8.

If you put the offroad pipes on and open the cutout/dump (let that beast breath a little more) you should see the 420's at the wheels no problem.
The other 15hp could be from a wide variety of variables.
Many dyno's are a little different and yield different numbers. temp, humidity, tire pressure just to name a few.
The correction factor plays a role as well. I would assume they used sae correction.
With the car breathing properly and hitting the 420+ mark at the wheels for a mild cam and stage 2 heads car is oretty sweet.
Lets see some 1/4 times and more importantly, some 1/4 mile trap speeds!!
enjoy bro..
talk soon--
Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am drunk so I am not going to post anything other then what I read from the original owner pretty much answers the questions you had. Well at least to me in a drunken state of mind. Gotta fly I have 654 am roll call. Good night yall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Cats sound about right for FLP headers since I use to run them.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CJ 01 WS6
Hey Dan-
I got your email with the graphs-
As the original owner of the car I can give you a few extra details.

When the car put down 438 rwhp it was with the off road pipes on and the cut out wide open. (NO cats!)
The headers on the car are FLP,(finish line performance) not SLP. Swapping the offroads for the cats on the FLP headers takes 10 minutes. I know its taken me FOREVER but I will ship those bad boy off road pipes so you can get that car breathing like it should.
UNCAP the cutout/dump next time as well!!

I did some dyno testing back in the day with the off road pipes vs cats, and the cutout open vs closed.

On a heads and cam car, the cats held back approx 10-14 HP and the cut out closed held back another 10+.
On a stock, or very mildly modded ls1 car, off road pipes might only yield about 6-9 hp and the cut out another 5-8.

If you put the offroad pipes on and open the cutout/dump (let that beast breath a little more) you should see the 420's at the wheels no problem.
The other 15hp could be from a wide variety of variables.
Many dyno's are a little different and yield different numbers. temp, humidity, tire pressure just to name a few.
The correction factor plays a role as well. I would assume they used sae correction.
With the car breathing properly and hitting the 420+ mark at the wheels for a mild cam and stage 2 heads car is oretty sweet.
Lets see some 1/4 times and more importantly, some 1/4 mile trap speeds!!
enjoy bro..
talk soon--
Glad to see you're still out there. I'm just anxious to dump more money into the beast but I need all the background info I can get before doing so. Looking forward to all the paperwork and "care package".
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Get rid of these cats!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems a little low if they are AFR ported. my car went 495hp closed cutout to 517hp open. the b&b catback sucks for making power.

Last edited by mike c.; 01-25-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

It hasn't been clearly stated-just what ARE these heads? You have the current owner just saying "heads ported by AFR", and the previous owners sig says "AFR heads". Someone please clarify what we're dealing with.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno, the 228 isn't a huge cam, but it has a great powerband. Maybe it just needs another tune after you get the cats off and open the cutout. My car just made 400/400 thru a 9" @7k feet above sealevel, and it's a similar setup.