Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Ls2 427 w/ L92 and FAST

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The drivability problems are the tune.There are special things that need to be done switching to a 102mm TB.If you do not do them they will drive like crap.

Wish I had an engine dyno up here
That's good to know. I have no doubt that The Vette Doctors will be able to dial it in then.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The drivability problems are the tune.There are special things that need to be done switching to a 102mm TB.If you do not do them they will drive like crap.

Wish I had an engine dyno up here
you do,it's only a FEDEX truck away
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

****'n A! Nice numbers!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Congratulation shawn

it is great power....
Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nicev n/a results!! do you guys at va speed have any results in a forced induction application on the new fast intakes? sorry for the hijack
Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

The guys strapped it down on the DynoJet and we've got some first numbers.

It idles at 800RPM smooth as glass which should tell you how small the cam is.

Ed tells me he and Shawn might not be done quite yet.

Not to bad 576/530!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WKMCD
The guys strapped it down on the DynoJet and we've got some first numbers.

It idles at 800RPM smooth as glass which should tell you how small the cam is.

Ed tells me he and Shawn might not be done quite yet.

Not to bad 576/530!!!!!
HOLY ****! Just knowing that this cam is damn near baby like makes it that damn cool! Great job guys!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is it safe to speculate the a larger cam would sacrifice a little of the drivability but yield much higher hp if one wanted to go crazy with a build like this ?

Again congrats !!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Is it safe to speculate the a larger cam would sacrifice a little of the drivability but yield much higher hp if one wanted to go crazy with a build like this ?

Again congrats !!!!!
For me the negatives would grossly outweigh the positives but I'm sure a lot of people would go that way until they got tired of it.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WKMCD
For me the negatives would grossly outweigh the positives but I'm sure a lot of people would go that way until they got tired of it.
I hear ya Kevin. Sounds like according to Ed the crack of the throttle is scary enough. "Wants to jump off the rollers!" Thats some serious lowend tq!

I'm sure someone will copy your build in the future, but run a much more aggressive cam. I agree the extra hp with a bigger cam just isn't worth the headache. If it can't be tuned to run the way you want it to (stock like until you hit the gas) then the cam is too big.

CONGRATS my friend. Looking fwd to your upcoming thread after driving it for the first time.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I hear ya Kevin. Sounds like according to Ed the crack of the throttle is scary enough. "Wants to jump off the rollers!" Thats some serious lowend tq!

I'm sure someone will copy your build in the future, but run a much more aggressive cam. I agree the extra hp with a bigger cam just isn't worth the headache. If it can't be tuned to run the way you want it to (stock like until you hit the gas) then the cam is too big.

CONGRATS my friend. Looking fwd to your upcoming thread after driving it for the first time.
Ed actually had to detune is a little. He slowed the throttle opening and pulled a little timing to keep it civil off idle.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 AM
FormerVendor

while they may copy the parts,they are not going to copy the engine,how you use the parts is far more important that the parts themselves.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-22-2020)
Old 03-19-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
while they may copy the parts,they are not going to copy the engine,how you use the parts is far more important that the parts themselves.
Shawn, I didn't mean it as in copy it like a recipe and that anyone could do it. I meant recreate this build like Kevin did, future customers will have you build them the same motor, the same way but potentially different cam selection for a rowdier version of this trail blazing l92 based 427 build.

We all know that a lot more goes into a "QUALITY" build then just slapping the parts together. Its obvious that you not only went the extra mile on this one, but way beyond. All builds should get this much attention. Way to raise the standard !!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm sure Shawn would be more than happy to build one just like it for anyone who wants one...
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
FormerVendor

Shawn, I didn't mean it as in copy it like a recipe and that anyone could do it. I meant recreate this build like Kevin did, future customers will have you build them the same motor, the same way but potentially different cam selection for a rowdier version of this trail blazing l92 based 427 build.

We all know that a lot more goes into a "QUALITY" build then just slapping the parts together. Its obvious that you not only went the extra mile on this one, but way beyond. All builds should get this much attention. Way to raise the standard !!
We really did nothing above and beyond on this build over what somebody else would get.The only difference is the we allowed everyone to more or less see what we do behind the scenes.EVERY engine built at Virginia Speed gets the same quality machine work and assembly.EVERY engine that is put on the engine dyno get the same care to try and squeeze as much power that is possible out of it.EVERY car that is tuned by Ed get the same amount of care to make sure the tune is a perfect as possible.

I don't want people to get the impression we do better work for certain people,we treat everybody equally and we build every engine equally-doesn't matter if it's a 500hp street engine or a 3000hp race engine.

ALL builds do get this much attention at Virginia Speed
Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow Shawn its so hard to give you a compliment. I totally agree that EVERYONE gets the same effort. To make it clear, some lesser experienced people that follow your "recipe" on this motor will have a great motor when done. Just saying that you pay a lot of attention to every step in the process, and verify all the machine work etc etc. Not everyone is going to do that. I refer to the DIY'r and some other shops. Never once did I think or imply that you did anything EXTRA for Kevin, so I'm not sure why you posted the defensive comment.

Great Job !!!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, I went back and re read my extra mile comment. Excuse that, I didn't mean that you don't do this for everyone, just saying all the step by step pics, and posting of progress. You have quite the reputation for building engines, and with your experience a first timer probably won't do it quite as well.

Now wheres the videos ?? I want to see the look on Kevins face when he's reacquainted with his baby and starts the motor for the first time.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

ALL builds do get this much attention at Virginia Speed
I seen a number of builds in progress when I've been down at VA Speed. I agree with Shawn that his attention to detail goes into everything he does. He's pretty **** that way - which is very good for his customers. While we're at it, I've recieved no special treatment or pricing for any of the work I've had done at VA Speed. My only interest is getting value recieved for the dollars spent and VA Speed delivers. I'm a small business man and I understand how tough it is in this economy so I have absolutely no problem helping to promote another small business I believe in. I have customers that do the same for me.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

Hmm, I went back and re read my extra mile comment. Excuse that, I didn't mean that you don't do this for everyone, just saying all the step by step pics, and posting of progress. You have quite the reputation for building engines, and with your experience a first timer probably won't do it quite as well.

Now wheres the videos ?? I want to see the look on Kevins face when he's reacquainted with his baby and starts the motor for the first time.
Doug,your comment could be read a couple of different ways.I know what you were saying but it could be read differently by different people.What i was trying to do is make sure that people understood what you were saying.So please don't take it as much as a defensive statement as it was adding to your comment.I always appreciate your compliments.

BTW,i'm not sure you want a video of Kevin's face
Old 03-20-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doug,your comment could be read a couple of different ways.I know what you were saying but it could be read differently by different people.What i was trying to do is make sure that people understood what you were saying.So please don't take it as much as a defensive statement as it was adding to your comment.I always appreciate your compliments.

BTW,i'm not sure you want a video of Kevin's face
Thanks and I see everyones points. I'm glad I didn't **** ya'll off. I was just trying throw out a well deserved compliment. Glad we cleared that up.

Still want to see Kevin's expression. He's going to have that Christmas morning look knowing all the gifts are for him. Keep up the quality work.

Quick Reply: Ls2 427 w/ L92 and FAST