Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Tsunami cam PRC stage 1 LS6 heads results

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPS
i dont get too caught up in the numbers...it runs strong.

Generally autos are not dyno queens...beyond that I think there a some over generous and stingy dynos out there.
Very true. I suppose it's difficult not to get involved in the numbers game when you often see fantastic numbers from across the country. Like said, it is track numbers that really tell the whole story.

Even though I don't have any stout numbers thus far, I'm sure I'll get a taste of this when I finish swapping in a bigger cam (currently researching), but along with my 3600 stall. It'll run 10x better, but the dyno may not show it.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the same dyno, but a different location. It is about the only dynojet in the area and gets passed around from shop to shop - with how long it took us to get things working, it would be easy to believe the dyno had issues.

I hope to get to the track on May 12th and see what she'll do.

It is hard to not get wrapped up in the dyno racing sessions - I just just be happy to be over 400 as it has been a struggle just to get there. I'll update this with my track time improvement to hopefully get a real idea of the gains.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

As said before IT IS AN AUTO. I think that is pretty good power. I had stage one 243's and a similar cam and made 411 rwhp with my A4/ Ford 9 inch. Was not crazy about numbers. Took It to the track and ran 11.28 et 118 mph. At 3600 lbs.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, I think the torque is soft for what it is. Are you guys saying that in a m6, his torque would jump 30-40ft/lbs from where it's at now? Still, that's less than what I did back in 2002 with a smaller cam and worse headers/exhaust with a mail order tune to boot.
My guess, your valves aren't sealing properly and a simple leakdown test could be benneficial.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Again, I think the torque is soft for what it is. Are you guys saying that in a m6, his torque would jump 30-40ft/lbs from where it's at now? Still, that's less than what I did back in 2002 with a smaller cam and worse headers/exhaust with a mail order tune to boot.
My guess, your valves aren't sealing properly and a simple leakdown test could be benneficial.
Read my previous post, the converter was locked. Autos are crazy. The torque reading on the dyno is low on a locked converter but the horsepower jumps up quite a bit. Lots of guys run a locked converter on the dyno to make sure the power is around where it should be, even though it'll never be running WOT with a locked converter.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Sad
My power before with PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads with 2.04 intake valve, B1 cam (221/221) and no underdrive was 360hp so I thought this was a good improvement. I have a Fuddle converter - I believe it was locked during the runs (it slipped out the first time for some reason, but I think we got it to lock. I'm waiting to hear back from my tuner).

Could it be the dyno? We had a lot of issues trying to get it to allow a full run. The tach signal keep cutting out, keep throwing an error about the brakes being too cold or something.

How would I start diagnosing this?

Thanks,
Aaron
I think my Fuddle converter is really holding back my H/C light weight car, i think its hurting my 60ft, trap speed and obviously HP. If you had the fuddle for both setups it might explain low numbers. Im soon installing a 4k yank eliminator and getting rid of my 4k fuddle.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...our-60fts.html
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep, remember its an auto.. especially a huge 4000 stall. i run a vigilante 3200 and my torque was low.. I think 355-360 on a stock headed 02 Z28.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nwforever
I think my Fuddle converter is really holding back my H/C light weight car, i think its hurting my 60ft, trap speed and obviously HP. If you had the fuddle for both setups it might explain low numbers. Im soon installing a 4k yank eliminator and getting rid of my 4k fuddle.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...our-60fts.html
It looks like we have very similar mods. If any you should have more power than me, but your verter was prob not locked (TH400) - so maybe I am in ballpark?

Maybe it is my converter, I'll be interested to see how it turns out when you swap yours.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully another post stating that the converter was locked will sway anyone from making another post about the converter size, brand, or eating power.

I don't think the torque is that low. TSP heads/cam setups just don't make impressive peak torque numbers. It's been that way for a long time, across their entire lineup. But that doesn't mean the car won't run.

You say that you picked up 55rwhp from your previous heads/cam? If so that's what I would focus on, rather than the actual power numbers.

2 other things to note:

1. Look at the weather correction! 1.16? Where are you?
2. The run looks to have been stopped a little early.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Hopefully another post stating that the converter was locked will sway anyone from making another post about the converter size, brand, or eating power.

I don't think the torque is that low. TSP heads/cam setups just don't make impressive peak torque numbers. It's been that way for a long time, across their entire lineup. But that doesn't mean the car won't run.

You say that you picked up 55rwhp from your previous heads/cam? If so that's what I would focus on, rather than the actual power numbers.

2 other things to note:

1. Look at the weather correction! 1.16? Where are you?
2. The run looks to have been stopped a little early.

I had the same issue with my TSP stg 1 LS6 heads/MS3 cam combo and it made 382rwtq.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SLOC5LS6
I had the same issue with my TSP stg 1 LS6 heads/MS3 cam combo and it made 382rwtq.
Well, think about that port size and the cam is not made for torque, especially with stock compression so it fits for those without valve reliefs.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOC5LS6
Just Curious, was 382 on a DJ or Mustang Dyno and what did it run the 1/4 in?

thanks!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
My guess is that you are so caught up in dyno numbers that you can't understand how a locked/unlocked auto transmission dynos. If his valves weren't sealing properly there is no way he would pick up 55 rwhp. Its absolutely rediculous to compare your 2002 m6 dyno to this 2010 auto dyno. Thats like comparing apples and freakin broccoli. Pretty dumb post right there.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

There's no doubt that the two transmissions impact dyno's differently. But drivetrain loss is drivetrain loss. A locked converter does just that, it takes the slip of the converter out of the equation and now it's a case of rotation mass that's impacting drivetrain efficiency.

Torque is the amount of cylinder pressure generated during combustion. If he's got valves that aren't sealing, he's going to show a lower torque number. His higher hp number is simply a result of having a larger camshaft that carries that torque later in the rpm band. Shift his power curve 1000 rpm later and it makes more horsepower but the same cylinder pressure.

I'm certainly not caught up on dyno numbers by any stretch, but you can't look at a time slip either since a lot of that can be attributed to a high stall, traction, gear ratio and suspension mods.

Horsepower can be manipulated quite easily with camshaft selection, but the amount of torque generated is the true measuring stick for power gains.

Original poster, what did your setup put down torque wise prior to the head/cam swap?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by KingSS
My guess is that you are so caught up in dyno numbers that you can't understand how a locked/unlocked auto transmission dynos. If his valves weren't sealing properly there is no way he would pick up 55 rwhp. Its absolutely rediculous to compare your 2002 m6 dyno to this 2010 auto dyno. Thats like comparing apples and freakin broccoli. Pretty dumb post right there.
If I were hung up on dyno numbers, I probably would have been back on the dyno since 2002, and I haven't, even after adding a FAST, swapping from mac mids to long tubes, getting a new wideband custom tune, larger injectors and an underdrive pulley.

A dyno is a tuning device, and if you're not making more torque, then you didn't gain power, you just shifted your power band.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No reason to diagnose anything until you take it to the track.

My car makes right at 370/350... In a DA2000+ I ran 7.3s@93mph 1.52 short time barely spinning out of the hole.. I'm full weight also.
Dyno numbers mean nothing. Take it to the track.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dynoed on the same dyno and made right what my car should have. I doubt it was the dyno. Whats your a/f and timing like?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

I'll have to dig out my old graph again and find the torque - I'm out of town right now.

Unreal, how long ago did you dyno? We didn't run the a/f, Jayson tuned for max power and no knock.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Dug out my old graph - I was mistaken. I put down 350/325 before so I guess 415/363 is a pretty good bump.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the pick up in power! I bet it'll run well at the track. Let us know what she does!

Quick Reply: Tsunami cam PRC stage 1 LS6 heads results