Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Thunder Racing's Brand New Stroker Cam is Unleashed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
i'm sorry, but this is a terrible response, especially coming from a big named speed shop like Thunder Racing. there is alot of this type of response on this site. and lot of "do a search" responses too. to the point that when i do try to research such a build, i find many threads that have responses like "do a search" , or "if you have to ask..."

if one doesn't ask the question, how would one gain the knowledge?

no annimosity in this post, just a simple observation...inflection is not easy to type, lol.
I guess I took the tone of your original post in the wrong way then. I feel like I'm one of the most unbiased and fair individuals on this site. I try to answer anyone's question to the best of my ability without demeaning them or trying to make them look bad. I guess I took your post a little personally...

The whole valvespring life issue is really a non-issue on a build of this type. I can't put a mileage number on something like this, no one can. I was just trying to point out that the cam uses stable lobes which will be "relatively" gentle on valvesprings. Anyone who says they can tell you how many miles or how long a set of valvesprings will last is full of... well you know what.

Sorry for coming off like an a$$. Sometimes I get my panties in a wad too...

Thanks,
Shane
Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okie dokie. i do want to upgrade my current camshaft to something a bit better. i know that the PRC heads are a bit of a bottleneck, and i'm carb'ed, which seems to throw a bit of a wrench in camshaft selection. i'm currently running an efi cam i got used.

would a set of PRC double springs and ls7 lifters keep this camshaft under control? i would tell you what the spring pressures were at the seat and at full lift, but companies that deal in go-fast goodies for the lsx crowd typically don't list alot of that type of info, which is fine if you're just looking to buy something that's proven to work, but makes making educated decisions on one's own combo difficult without asking questions
Old 07-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions !!!!

I was just about to purchase a MS4 cam for my 383 seup... then this showsup now I am not sure which one to get !!!!!! can you tell me what the Inlet Valve Closes ABDC in deg is? I was wonder how this cam will effect my dynamic compression ratio...

99-TR247/251-112 is that the correct part #

i noticed that cam according to the webpage on your site is on a 110 lsa and this article/post and possibly the

part # is on a 112 lsa... what was used in this combo 110 or 112 lsa?!!

sent you guys a email

thanks!

Last edited by whtrashferrari; 07-21-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default this is dumb!

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
never ONCE have i implied that i want a car with no maintenance, i have a carb'd motor in a thirdgen camaro for crying out loud, lol! i was asking about valve spring life, so that if i stepped it up in the camshaft department, i might have a clue as to what i'm looking at for off-season upkeep.
I think he "shane from thunder" gave you a good answer to begin with . the lobe families used for this camshaft are very stable, proven designs. if your wondering how many miles your gonna get out of cam it really depends on how much of a cheap-*** you are. if you get the correct corresponding parts to go with any cam it should last indefinitely . These are roller cams and wear should be minimal when setup property. How can you expect some one to know how long a performance valve train setup will last when they are not the ones assembling it . its as good as the dude that assembled it.. its as good as the parts that you used to assemble it with.

So im gonna throw this question back at you since your picking on the shanes responces so much .

What kinda oil do you use? are you a autozone its on sale kinda dude? Penzoil/quaker state parrafin wax supporter? "i heard they removed that stuff from their oil now" or a royal purple,mobil1, amsoil user?

The springs your gonna use are you gonna get the proper springs or are you gonna go on ebay and hit lowest price first and find the cheapest thing you can to match it?

really your question is not one for thunder racing its really for yourself!
you should ask the type of question your asking in another thread . This thread was about dyno results and the results are off the chart!! not about how many miles hes gonna get out of the setup or how many mpg hes gonna get!

I am pretty sure if you use auto-zone oil and cheap springs this cam will get you around the block and be reusable after the springs break! if you use good oil an the recommended springs installed correctly then it should last until the springs fatigue. go ask comp cams how many compressions their springs will last for a given lift for see if they can give you answer! your question was out of place and you trying to defend it is just making you look like an ***.

thanks for sharing the results of this cam!
badass!

Last edited by whtrashferrari; 07-21-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

XtraCajunSS
Those are great results from a 383...
Would this cam be very streetable for an A4, 408 with TFS 235, ported FAST 92, 1 7/8 kooks, 3600 stall and 3.42 gears? Not a daily driver, but street driven to the track.

What kind of setup would this cam be optimized for? What kind of CR? Head flow? Gears? Stall?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, there's no way i'll be able to explain my logic behind my questions. he posted up results, i asked about longevity. we had a little communicational breakdown, and we both came up smelling good. not sure how telling you what oil i use in my Proline Racing engine will make a difference at this point. i spend my money as wisely as i can, which is why i was asking questions about the combo....just because i ask about something doesn't mean i'm a cheap ***, it means i want to know more info

for the record, i use VR1 per Proline

of course telling you that i have a proline engine makes me look like an *** too...i can't win, lol

Last edited by thirdgenbum; 07-21-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
XtraCajunSS
Those are great results from a 383...
Would this cam be very streetable for an A4, 408 with TFS 235, ported FAST 92, 1 7/8 kooks, 3600 stall and 3.42 gears? Not a daily driver, but street driven to the track.

What kind of setup would this cam be optimized for? What kind of CR? Head flow? Gears? Stall?

Thanks

This cam was intended for 4" stroke motors, with cathedral port heads and a stock style forward facing manifold. I know this cam would work in the 408 with TFS 235 heads. I had a customer recently call me with his results from his 408ci with this camshaft. He was using the AFR 225cc cylinder heads. In a M6 Camaro, he put down 560rwhp with it!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThunderStruk
This cam was intended for 4" stroke motors, with cathedral port heads and a stock style forward facing manifold. I know this cam would work in the 408 with TFS 235 heads. I had a customer recently call me with his results from his 408ci with this camshaft. He was using the AFR 225cc cylinder heads. In a M6 Camaro, he put down 560rwhp with it!!!!
What kind of CR was he running? That is some great results too.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
What kind of CR was he running? That is some great results too.
About 11.5:1 CR on that setup
Old 07-24-2010, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

What was the idle speed?

I'm gonna keep it stock idle like my current set-up
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 AM
TECH Addict

Pretty damn impressive IMO. That's better than a lot of the 400+ inch engines I've seen..
Old 07-26-2010, 05:17 AM
9 Second Club

Very impressive.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This Cam works very well and the valvetrain is pretty stable.I used that Cam for a little bit then switched to another with a very close ramp rate.So far I probly have 5k miles and a ton of passes shifting at 7200rpm.No issue's at all and I'm still ussing LS7 lifters.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
This Cam works very well and the valvetrain is pretty stable.I used that Cam for a little bit then switched to another with a very close ramp rate.So far I probly have 5k miles and a ton of passes shifting at 7200rpm.No issue's at all and I'm still ussing LS7 lifters.

What springs,rocker arms, and pushrods are you using now?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Great results!! Glad i found this thread.. We have been talking about putting this in my PI 235cc 11* headed 408, was gonna do the vic jr set up but John and Shane talked me into the 102 setup now.. This will be through a 4l60 and 9", and i will post some results after the dyno for the people wondering on a Auto and 9" build..
Bobby
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Can't wait to see your results with the Auto and 9"
Old 08-17-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have this cam brand new for sale..if anyone wants one
Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by n20kid
Great results!! Glad i found this thread.. We have been talking about putting this in my PI 235cc 11* headed 408, was gonna do the vic jr set up but John and Shane talked me into the 102 setup now.. This will be through a 4l60 and 9", and i will post some results after the dyno for the people wondering on a Auto and 9" build..
Bobby
When is the dyno day? Very interested in how the auto does with it.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by want297z
When is the dyno day? Very interested in how the auto does with it.
Just waiting on the Heads to show up

The car has to be done within this month and at a race by October 15th, so i will post the results as soon as i get it to the dyno
Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Can't wait to see what this cam does with my setup,

403ci, afr 225 big bore,ported 92/92, arh 1 7/8, cutout, ewp should be good although I'm going through a dana 60 with 4.10s hope to make it to the dyno for tuning friday

Quick Reply: Thunder Racing's Brand New Stroker Cam is Unleashed