Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

LETHAL / PRC LS7 heads / boltons / nitrous dyno numbers (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmracer
who installed the cam?
a Mechanical did the install this is the 15+ C6 ZO6 he install cam.

Originally Posted by Redcorvette2000
Those n/a numbers are pretty low i would be really pissed....

I agree the owner is pissed.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
well i have heard rings for nitrous motors will not make the same power as ones that are built for n/a setups. Also a nitrous tune for that big shot will not be ideal for making power n/a but it will be safe on the bottle.

True but still even with that the numbers are low this is not the 1st car we build for nitrous.

The car dynoed 525rwhp or something like that with the nitrous tune.

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
Numbers are low for sure. Also on the bottle the TQ. spikes right off the hit, then just goes straight down....and in a hurry. The graphs have NO smoothness to them.

Thanks .

Originally Posted by choopak
im making the same HP on motor and with my 200 shot maybe +/- 3hp.

Thanks and nice setup.

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I'd go back and look at the logs. Something happened at 4800, and it looks like KR. Whether it is or not, something happened, and it ain't nice. Actually the whole run isn't real pretty. Might need to close the plug gap up a little more.

Talked to the tuner and your right it did had some KR at 4800rpm..

Thanks for the help..

Originally Posted by slow trap
i'm no expert or anything and don't know the cam specs on either cam but it looks like the new rr cam is dropping off power alittle earlier than the qm cam. if it is bigger unless it's on quite a bit tighter lsa or advanced some shouldn't it carry alittle longer ?

I can't remember the Specs of the QM500 but I remember it was really small
Under 230 duration (Int/ext) under 620 lift (int/ext) 117lsa..

Lethal cam is a lot bigger 232/250 660/660 113lsa..

I really thought the Lethal will peak at 6500-6700rpm

Originally Posted by anheuserbusch08
numbers look really low from what i expected....

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was the cam degreed when installed?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Graphs look pretty rough.. Id get the tune looked at. I feel that the LS7's like a little more fuel N/A then 13.0-13.30 area. But I use a AFM1000 wideband and it reads correct.

Here is a properly tuned LS7 with almost the same mods. But a much much smaller camshaft.

Last edited by Mike TexaSS; 06-08-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Dammitt man!! I cannot see the graphs at work!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
was the cam degreed when installed?

I'm not sure I didnt install it.

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Graphs look pretty rough.. Id get the tune looked at. I feel that the LS7's like a little more fuel N/A then 13.0-13.30 area. But I use a AFM1000 wideband and it reads correct.

Here is a properly tuned LS7 with almost the same mods. But a much much smaller camshaft.

Mike like always great work.
What are the mods on the car??

Do you think Forged LS7 will loss a lot of power over Stock LS7 Engine??

Originally Posted by odarabla
Dammitt man!! I cannot see the graphs at work!!!!

Check them out when you get home.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Well , from my point of view I don't think the first dyno numbers are low , because as you know not all the dynos are the same so a loss of 20rwhp or less is normal from dyno to another and don't forget, the cam was small, I bet it was acting great on the street , don't give numbers big attention".

The problem that you are facing is the drop of power when you got new mods and that may caused by lot of things, Tune "maybe" bigger cam are hard to tune and need lot of dyno run's and street tuning , installing " the cam and the stroker" just make sure if everything is okay and there's no leaking aslo check the compression .

Here is a dyno graph for Z with lethal cam:

See with the lethal cam the number are close to your old number .

If I were you , I would change the lethal cam , believe me with those heads need much bigger cam and Texas-speed have some great cams .
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally like the 117 lsa better than the 113 lsa. For every 1 degree that the lsa is more narrow, that adds 2 degrees of overlap, and LS7 heads don't like overlap.

A ported LS7 head is probably going to be more sensitive to overlap than a stock LS7 head.

If you put the QM cam back in, you will know if it's the cam or the shortblock, and I have seen shortblocks that don't make as much power as the stock block. GM spent a lot of time on the skirt shape and ring seal.

I have a friend with an engine dyno who lost about 20 hp with an aftermarket forged piston, he didn't know what was going on, changed everything, went back to the stock piston and the power came back. Something to think about, I hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by _GTO_
Well , from my point of view I don't think the first dyno numbers are low , because as you know not all the dynos are the same so a loss of 20rwhp or less is normal from dyno to another and don't forget, the cam was small, I bet it was acting great on the street , don't give numbers big attention".

The problem that you are facing is the drop of power when you got new mods and that may caused by lot of things, Tune "maybe" bigger cam are hard to tune and need lot of dyno run's and street tuning , installing " the cam and the stroker" just make sure if everything is okay and there's no leaking aslo check the compression .

Here is a dyno graph for Z with lethal cam:

See with the lethal cam the number are close to your old number .

If I were you , I would change the lethal cam , believe me with those heads need much bigger cam and Texas-speed have some great cams .
Not so much. LS7 heads typically require a much smaller intake lobe than cathedral port heads to achieve the some hp levels..
Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
I personally like the 117 lsa better than the 113 lsa. For every 1 degree that the lsa is more narrow, that adds 2 degrees of overlap, and LS7 heads don't like overlap.

A ported LS7 head is probably going to be more sensitive to overlap than a stock LS7 head.

If you put the QM cam back in, you will know if it's the cam or the shortblock, and I have seen shortblocks that don't make as much power as the stock block. GM spent a lot of time on the skirt shape and ring seal.

I have a friend with an engine dyno who lost about 20 hp with an aftermarket forged piston, he didn't know what was going on, changed everything, went back to the stock piston and the power came back. Something to think about, I hope this helps.

Thanks Brian.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Numbers look low compared to a shop owners z06 that put 604rwhp with his stock heads.. Could have did a full port to stock heads with a bigger cam to reach 600rwhp (na)..
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Numbers look low compared to a shop owners z06 that put 604rwhp with his stock heads.. Could have did a full port to stock heads with a bigger cam to reach 600rwhp (na)..

Are you talking about Ragin Racin Orange C6 ZO6??

That car have does have ported heads and its 454ci LSX not 427ci LS7!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lethal performance in san antonio "danny"
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

His is still a 427 and i heard that he send his stock heads to get cnc ported and he put 604 rwhp. He did a 1 mile run dead stop and it hit 188mph. You can see it on youtube
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
lethal performance in san antonio "danny"

The cam is Lethal from Ragin Racin not Lethal Performance.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friends have a videotape that he ran 10.1 @ 137 ( Dont know if he sprayed but it was spinning)..
Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know but thats the name of the shop.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im just talking about a shop owner that has a z06 that put 600rwhp with useing his stock heads
Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 AM
FormerVendor

2618 forging pistons (wiseco, diamond etc.) run more skirt clearance vs a factory cast LS7 piston. I'm sure the rings are gapped for heavy nitrous?

Also figure the weight of whats used, you had Titanium rods that was 480 grams and replaced them with 650 gram forged H beam rods?

LS7 pistons are designed to be lightweight, due to a pre production incident. Forged shelf pistons generally are on the heavier side, more machining, more money goes into them, leaving metal on the shelf pistons should increase strength and keep piston price reasonable.

The extra weight, more PTW clearance, larger ring gaps will take up some power, but will result in a more reliable combination with a power adder.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

any updates?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

2618 forging pistons (wiseco, diamond etc.) run more skirt clearance vs a factory cast LS7 piston. I'm sure the rings are gapped for heavy nitrous?

Also figure the weight of whats used, you had Titanium rods that was 480 grams and replaced them with 650 gram forged H beam rods?

LS7 pistons are designed to be lightweight, due to a pre production incident. Forged shelf pistons generally are on the heavier side
I agree.
I have been noticing this for years looking at reported dyno numbers. I think we underestimate the importance of lightwt rotating assemblies. Most of our rods are overkill in wt and strength. The titanium are super light but the stock powdered rods are also lighter than most the rods we use. Gm did not use such an expensive part just for bragging rights. I also think the factory(in general) does a better job with cylinder wall finish(rings seat better) than a lot of shops do. Stock blocks are always well broken in versus a fresh engine having more friction.

Quick Reply: LETHAL / PRC LS7 heads / boltons / nitrous dyno numbers (Help)