Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Vengeance VRX5 dyno results (LS6 engine) :-/

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that I like here in your combo imo is the headers. Too much intake, little to much cam, way to much valve spring, etc.... Your torque tells the story. Something is not happy in your setup.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

^^ I went with the 675 valve spring to get additional life... the valvespring should have little to zero impact on performance characteristics.

I disagree with the "too much intake" comment as well. As stated earlier, I am seeing 99-101 kPa inside the manifold during WOT, which is exactly where it should be. Furthermore, if you look as some of the testing (such as done by spectacle solutions, as well as feedback from intake 'experts' such as Mamo) on a stock cube ls1/6 all which show GAINS from the FAST102 over the Fast90, and ls6 manis. I am half tempted to put the stock mani back on just to dyno for evidence, but realllllly dont want to go thru all that effort just to show some people what has already been shown on this very board in other threads.

Some of you dont understand the dynamics involved with intake manifold tuning. The plenum volume has an affect, and when large, it never results in a drop in top end power, only bottom end, due to the reduced air velocities in the chamber. Runner length is the primary determining factor for top end power, and where peak is located, and I dont think there ANY difference at all in the runner port diameter, maybe some adjustments in length, and flow, but not diameter. For the TB, I am still at 90mm, and do have hte transition to the 102mm before entering the plenum, but that flow upset would caust issues in transients, but not in steadystate top end results (at least not very much)

Too much cam??? I dont see how. I got a cam that would still have relative street manners, yet give top end performance for a car that sees road racing (though thats a wish as of late) and autox.

As far as the headers.... the LG pros have been used for years now on the C5s and c5z's with great results. Yes, there are 1 7/8 headers now that offer advantages, but I think THAT would be more overkill on stock cubes. This would have a much more pronounced affect than an overly large plenum volume.

To the drama dude on here, the other cars making 430/440 were either running LGPros, or kooks, most had UDPs, no mention on waterpump, but that parasitic loss would not account to very much power/tq loss, maybe 5hp and maybe 5ft*lbs...

With regards to the AFR looking 'bad'... I dont see how. ignoring the cute picture on the dyno plot, the real story is in the datalog results shown. It floats right around the commanded line, which was tested at various levels to see affect on performance. If you think that actual vs commanded line looks bad, I would LOVE to see one that follows signficantly better.

Personally, I would say if anything is showing as needed improvement, MAYBE a more open axleback muffler, but I dont see that getting mroe than 5hp or so. My guess is it is with the block, might be showing it's age. Did a compression test and got 170 across all cylinders on a warm engine, but think I may take it and have a leak down to get more detailed results. And that is IF I really feel the need. I plan to take it to the track, and see what it does there.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Gotta admit OPs number are a bit off somehow..

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Check the link in my sig has all the info you need. Not really the high side for a optimized setup. Read all the post, it's all there.
True, optimized setup. I kinda read after I posted but its not the average 224 thats putting 444rwhp on stock 243s.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Launching!

a4 OR m6 ??
Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

the intake and the cam want rpm. shift at 7000 or lose races because you did not use the right parts to shift at 6400
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Juicedh22
^^ I went with the 675 valve spring to get additional life... the valvespring should have little to zero impact on performance characteristics.

I disagree with the "too much intake" comment as well. As stated earlier, I am seeing 99-101 kPa inside the manifold during WOT, which is exactly where it should be. Furthermore, if you look as some of the testing (such as done by spectacle solutions, as well as feedback from intake 'experts' such as Mamo) on a stock cube ls1/6 all which show GAINS from the FAST102 over the Fast90, and ls6 manis. I am half tempted to put the stock mani back on just to dyno for evidence, but realllllly dont want to go thru all that effort just to show some people what has already been shown on this very board in other threads.

Some of you dont understand the dynamics involved with intake manifold tuning. The plenum volume has an affect, and when large, it never results in a drop in top end power, only bottom end, due to the reduced air velocities in the chamber. Runner length is the primary determining factor for top end power, and where peak is located, and I dont think there ANY difference at all in the runner port diameter, maybe some adjustments in length, and flow, but not diameter. For the TB, I am still at 90mm, and do have hte transition to the 102mm before entering the plenum, but that flow upset would caust issues in transients, but not in steadystate top end results (at least not very much)

Too much cam??? I dont see how. I got a cam that would still have relative street manners, yet give top end performance for a car that sees road racing (though thats a wish as of late) and autox.

As far as the headers.... the LG pros have been used for years now on the C5s and c5z's with great results. Yes, there are 1 7/8 headers now that offer advantages, but I think THAT would be more overkill on stock cubes. This would have a much more pronounced affect than an overly large plenum volume.

To the drama dude on here, the other cars making 430/440 were either running LGPros, or kooks, most had UDPs, no mention on waterpump, but that parasitic loss would not account to very much power/tq loss, maybe 5hp and maybe 5ft*lbs...

With regards to the AFR looking 'bad'... I dont see how. ignoring the cute picture on the dyno plot, the real story is in the datalog results shown. It floats right around the commanded line, which was tested at various levels to see affect on performance. If you think that actual vs commanded line looks bad, I would LOVE to see one that follows signficantly better.

Personally, I would say if anything is showing as needed improvement, MAYBE a more open axleback muffler, but I dont see that getting mroe than 5hp or so. My guess is it is with the block, might be showing it's age. Did a compression test and got 170 across all cylinders on a warm engine, but think I may take it and have a leak down to get more detailed results. And that is IF I really feel the need. I plan to take it to the track, and see what it does there.
You make some good points, but just picking a valve spring based on lift requirements, doesn't mean it's going to live longer or what's best for that cam lobe/design.

Intake, I know thoughts, theories and aspects of intakes and what there suppose to do and where there suppose to do it at. I think the 102 are best fitted for larger cube motors, or engines with very high VEs. I know this from using a few on mild 346s to wild 346s etc...

Camshaft, your not to far off on cam. I would have suggested something a tad smaller imo, but would rather suggest something more based on your combo and wants/needs out of the car and rpm range.

I am glad to see that you did do a CT and CLT tests on the motor, to verify you don't have rings/ valve job going south on you or what not. Props there, most people on this site wouldn't even take the time to do that.

All and all, good luck with the build, and hope you sort out the issues or problems that are going on with it. I only give suggestions on here and never knock what people are doing or try to do, just what works for me.

Joe
Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

How about we take the car where the numbers really matter? The track maybe? Hell after my cam install, I gained 5 tq. I wasn't pleased with the numbers it was making but my car shows other wise on the street. Don't go by my track numbers, I slip the clutch to save the 10 bolt. Go to the track and see what it can do.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

God Dammit, get the drama bullshit out of my thread!

Can I get a mod clean up?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say its got to be track tested before any real comments. Dynos are BS and its refreshing to see honest numbers sometimes. Is that cam on a 114? LSA? Advance?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Damian; 07-10-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

"e thug" priceless
Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The thread has been cleaned.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

god you get on tech and bring the CSS bullshit here.

guys are giving some good answers, and you argue with guys that have already been there done that with these setups.

your cars not making the power. simple. when a cam only ls1(yours being cam, intake ls6) makes as much power, I'd be trying something different.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, gotta wade through the BS in here.........

The intake's not too big. We've seen 13+ rwhp on 346s with the 102.

That's all I have to say........
Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Man, gotta wade through the BS in here.........

The intake's not too big. We've seen 13+ rwhp on 346s with the 102.

That's all I have to say........
Thanks, when looking for IMs, I got the same input from Spectacle, and several other shops. Somewhere on here, there is even a dyno comparison between the intakes, though on an ls2.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
god you get on tech and bring the CSS bullshit here.

guys are giving some good answers, and you argue with guys that have already been there done that with these setups.

your cars not making the power. simple. when a cam only ls1(yours being cam, intake ls6) makes as much power, I'd be trying something different.
I guess it followed me, because I surely didnt start this drama... and you are one to talk, every post you make over there turns into an episode of Days of Our Lives.

I agree, something needs to be examined (or really, put to a real test at the track) but I do not agree with some of hte suggestions, such as the valve springs accounting for a loss in power, or the IM is the problem, for reasons, such as stated above. And the only other 'argument' i gave was with regards to not having the same mods as those who made 430-440. My next step is to take the car to D. Popp for a compression/Leak down, in case the one I did was inaccurate, jsut to get a second look at it. To see if it is a tired short block or not.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrs1313
graph has peaked, afr is messy, I would be pissed if I didn't clear 430+ rwhp with stock 243s and a cam...

buddy has fast 90, ewp, vind cam, 4.56 gears in 9", with stock 243s, m6 and put down 455rwhp on dynojet...430 should be easy IMO...
^^^ What he said.
MY 2002 Z06 with ported fast 90 intake, LS2 tb, kook's 1 7/8" header/3" ORXP, stock 243 heads, vararam CAI intake, UD pulley, Prc dual valve spring kit, 42 lb injectors and a MS4 cam. The car put down 438rwhp and 386rwtq on a mustang dyno. Now with that being said my stock injectors maxed out at 5800rpms. They were at 99% duty cycle. What is the duty cycle of your injectors?
My cam pulled strong past the 6400 peak and only fell off a few hp to 7000rpms.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
I say its got to be track tested before any real comments. Dynos are BS and its refreshing to see honest numbers sometimes. Is that cam on a 114? LSA? Advance?
well considering he ran door to door with a stock LS3 vette means something is off somewhere. He should of easily pulled that stock LS3.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try freeing up the exhaust more to start.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scramblerman
^^^ What he said.
MY 2002 Z06 with ported fast 90 intake, LS2 tb, kook's 1 7/8" header/3" ORXP, stock 243 heads, vararam CAI intake, UD pulley, Prc dual valve spring kit, 42 lb injectors and a MS4 cam. The car put down 438rwhp and 386rwtq on a mustang dyno. Now with that being said my stock injectors maxed out at 5800rpms. They were at 99% duty cycle. What is the duty cycle of your injectors?
My cam pulled strong past the 6400 peak and only fell off a few hp to 7000rpms.
based on what we saw on teh dyno, I am thinking those 1 7/8 primaries were a big help in getting that extra power.. I have the LG Pros, which are 1 3/4. Since changing AFR didnt seem to give us any gain, it leads me to believe either the engine is maxed (tired, maybe worn rings?) or I'm just not able to push the air out (need larger primaries, and more open mufflers). Once I get a 2nd CT and leakdown by someone more experienced that will help tell me if its the 1st.. and if not, then I need to sell the LGs for some larger primaries... or just be happy w/ what I have.

Oh, i am well below my max duty cyle, at like ~60% I put in 60lbrs to handle a dry shot (harris speed works plate kit)

Quick Reply: Vengeance VRX5 dyno results (LS6 engine) :-/