Originally Posted by TravisA
Nice build Sean!

-Travis
Thanks man!

You've got a PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
2. the .050" overlap doesn't accurately define how much overlap the cam has. It will be significantly affected by what style of lobe is run, lash, etc. Though it doesn't take into account deflection, plunger movement/lash, etc. here is a graph to illustrate what I am getting at. These two cams have the same .050" overlap:

Just noticed the update.. Thanks

I'm totaly aware of the overlap difference all along the profile/lifts based on lobe design lash ect. Even rocker ratio changes things even though people disregard it's effects on duration at a given lift.

I didn't want to ask too many specifics as I wasn't asking for you to give away your cam design, even though others might want it. Nothing is better than a cam for one's specific application.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Just noticed the update.. Thanks

I'm totaly aware of the overlap difference all along the profile/lifts based on lobe design lash ect. Even rocker ratio changes things even though people disregard it's effects on duration at a given lift.

I didn't want to ask too many specifics as I wasn't asking for you to give away your cam design, even though others might want it. Nothing is better than a cam for one's specific application.
No worries, the camshaft stuff online is somewhat amusing at times. Many seem to feel there is some dark and mysterious secret to it, when the only real "secret" is knowing exactly what you're selling.

Sean, very nice!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sean, please keep us informed about the rest of the setup, such as trans/converter, tire/gear ratio. Subscribed
Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HighspeedLean
Sean, please keep us informed about the rest of the setup, such as trans/converter, tire/gear ratio. Subscribed
It is currently going to be a PG with 8in converter, 28in slicks, and 4.11 gears.

I have a few additions for more power and a bit of weight loss to come.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wicked project!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice sir! I'd like to make a trip down to SD to see this car run.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
hashtagBMW

Wow thats legit power and simplicity.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thoughts thos heads were not players?

I love setups making great power with stock casting, from smart people that put some skill in for making hp. Way more impressive them some cookie cuter engine, and out powering a aftermarket casting that people thing are better because its aftermarket.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I'm excited to go racing again.

I've got some parts on the way to get everything finished off.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
It is currently going to be a PG with 8in converter, 28in slicks, and 4.11 gears.

I have a few additions for more power and a bit of weight loss to come.

I just decided and order my new trans today. Going Glide as well in the truck. Differences will be I'm going to be running a 4.56 gear and a 30" tire. It will be interesting to compare numbers at that point. I normally run on a local dynojet.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if you've gotten any whp #'s, or track times. Or what numbers are you expecting to see?
Nice build!!!!
I've had my ls3/m6 swap on hold for awhile, I really just want to build a 400+ whp California friendly daily driver. But hearing about these builds makes me consider building something more wilder.
Nice build again!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLOWN SS/T
Just curious if you've gotten any whp #'s, or track times. Or what numbers are you expecting to see?
Nice build!!!!
I've had my ls3/m6 swap on hold for awhile, I really just want to build a 400+ whp California friendly daily driver. But hearing about these builds makes me consider building something more wilder.
Nice build again!!!!

I don't have numbers yet. I am still waiting on some new parts to arrive like a fuel pump and a new stall.

I hope to have numbers in early January.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Started the engine for the first time last night!

The peak timing on E85 was 29/30 on those runs. I think I've got a bit more power in this engine when I can do some track tuning later this month.

We'll see what the engine wants with this 105 octane E85.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default You did good....

Sean great numbers, even more so considering the production head castings used, congrats, and enjoy it, is a great sport.../hobby.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Any updates ?
Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a link to the build thread with track times/results in my signature. I made a few initial passes, but am having trouble getting the fuel/ignition under control.

Hope to have more results in the spring when I have more time for racing.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
I have a link to the build thread with track times/results in my signature. I made a few initial passes, but am having trouble getting the fuel/ignition under control.

Hope to have more results in the spring when I have more time for racing.
Sean i read your passes and the trouble you are having, hope you don't mind if give you mine take on it, i know you didn't asked but here it is;
#-1 I believe you may have miss diagnose the problem you are having as a fuel delivery problem;
#-2 I am almost sure if you return your fuel system to where is proper, and live your carburetor the way you had it at the dyno, just to get back under control, where you know it does worked just fine and;
You most likely will find you problem at, You may be running out off gear, into your rev limiter, mechanically, in other words, your gears are putting your engine against, the rev limiter, AND, because the limiter cuts the spark, and not the fuel, your engine, is been flooded with fuel, wish in turn, is fouling your plugs, wish is quite possibly the reason the engine is dying on the return road.
I believe if you just bump up the limiter, by say 500 rpm, or more, you may get rid of the problem, and maybe even bumping your timing to where the engine makes the must power, wish is where it will perform at is best, {happier} [not as rich] .
Let me know if this helps you, David.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
Sean i read your passes and the trouble you are having, hope you don't mind if give you mine take on it, i know you didn't asked but here it is;
#-1 I believe you may have miss diagnose the problem you are having as a fuel delivery problem;
#-2 I am almost sure if you return your fuel system to where is proper, and live your carburetor the way you had it at the dyno, just to get back under control, where you know it does worked just fine and;
You most likely will find you problem at, You may be running out off gear, into your rev limiter, mechanically, in other words, your gears are putting your engine against, the rev limiter, AND, because the limiter cuts the spark, and not the fuel, your engine, is been flooded with fuel, wish in turn, is fouling your plugs, wish is quite possibly the reason the engine is dying on the return road.
I believe if you just bump up the limiter, by say 500 rpm, or more, you may get rid of the problem, and maybe even bumping your timing to where the engine makes the must power, wish is where it will perform at is best, {happier} [not as rich] .
Let me know if this helps you, David.

David,

You may be right about this issue being ignition. On most of those passes I had the limiter set at 7800 to 8k and I wasn't near that rpm limit. The timing is on the low end (very low on the strap before the turn).

I didn't really change anything with the carb from the dyno. It was identical jetting and tuning. My only variables were the input fuel pressure and/or volume compared to the dyno cell.

After measuring the vacuum at idle, I found that my powervalve in the carb was too big (4.5) and Prosystems recommended I remove it and square jet the carb. I haven't had a chance to test this setting yet. I've got a ton of testing to do and plan to take it to the dyno to iron these issues out. I plan to try some ignition changes while I'm on the dyno.

What kind of max timing are you running with your setup?

-Sean
Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running 28* max, at wot, i could do more but the power gain is minimal.

Quick Reply: Advanced Induction 416 ci, HR, L92, Vic Jr - 714hp *NA*