Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

99 camaro vortech supercharged dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I would not put smaller chamber heads on there. Raising the SCR means you will probably have to lower the ignition timing to avoid detonation and you wouldn't gain anything.

The LS6 cam should make a little more power, but not worth the effort installing it IMHO. A purpose ground blower cam will result in a larger gain. I am running a Speed Inc. blower cam in one of my cars and love it, but you can also consult with Bob at Brute Speed (both are sponsors here).

I would also recommend a higher stall converter. My one blown auto car is equipped with a Vigilante 3600. Cruising down the road, if I hit the throttle the trans downshifts, the converter flashes, and I'm instantly in boost and all hell breaks loose.... well at least the tires do. It's great.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS
Hey man, I would not put smaller chamber heads on there. Raising the SCR means you will probably have to lower the ignition timing to avoid detonation and you wouldn't gain anything.

The LS6 cam should make a little more power, but not worth the effort installing it IMHO. A purpose ground blower cam will result in a larger gain. I am running a Speed Inc. blower cam in one of my cars and love it, but you can also consult with Bob at Brute Speed (both are sponsors here).

I would also recommend a higher stall converter. My one blown auto car is equipped with a Vigilante 3600. Cruising down the road, if I hit the throttle the trans downshifts, the converter flashes, and I'm instantly in boost and all hell breaks loose.... well at least the tires do. It's great.
I like the reasoning in your response and I agree about the cr, I just thought that the 799 heads would flow better than my 99 model stockers. In this, I thought if I left the pulley combo alone then maybe less bosst would net more hp due to better efficiency. Im almost scared to change cams n springs without doing the lifters n trays, timing chain, oil pump, ect that I kow should be done. I know the heads must be removed to do the lifters n trays and thats why the 799 head change was what I thought would be a good move. I would not wanna remove the stockers and just put them back on and dont wanna put a ported set on and risk them getting damaged due to the stock engine letting go for some unforseen reason. Im not opposed to a good stall but I dont wanna hurt my take off as im kinda traction challenged as it is. I know some of this may not make sense to others but Im still listening and appreciate all the responses and ideas as to how to make the car faster from a roll as thats really where all my playing is at.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
im kinda traction challenged as it is. I know some of this may not make sense to others but Im still listening and appreciate all the responses and ideas as to how to make the car faster from a roll as thats really where all my playing is at.
Understand. My view would then be to upgrade your tires. In other words, upgrade power until you have traction problems (which you already do), then upgrade suspension and tires to compensate. Speaking of "roll" stuff, I usually test my suspension and tire combo by hitting WOT at different roll speeds, sometimes going to the actual "track" where things take place. I see what roll my setup can handle and negotiate accordingly.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS
Understand. My view would then be to upgrade your tires. In other words, upgrade power until you have traction problems (which you already do), then upgrade suspension and tires to compensate. Speaking of "roll" stuff, I usually test my suspension and tire combo by hitting WOT at different roll speeds, sometimes going to the actual "track" where things take place. I see what roll my setup can handle and negotiate accordingly.
I must keep non drag radial type tires due to me driving the interstate when it's raining from time to time. I have 315/35/17 tires now. I already have UMI weld in subframe connectors and polyurethane boxed control arms. I have heard an aftermarket torque arm would help but dont know what one will not make more road noise and still help enough to justify the cost. I would install a meth kit to make more top end hp but its not easily avaliable around me that Im aware of and that might be a problem. I also thought about a 50hp nitrous kit and just use it in upper 2nd gear and in 3rd gear but Im not sure if a re tune would be needed. Simply put, My car is fast enough for most encounters as it sits now but its always good to have a little something extra if ya need it without going over the limits of a stock engine, yeah right, famous last words...

Last edited by JRENIGAR; 01-16-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Hey I think you should evaluate what brand of tire you are using. I have 315 hoosiers and I can hook just fine in 3rd and in 2nd up to about 4500 when the boost rolls in. Dont forget the cheapest thing is just lower your air pressure I run mine at 20 and drop it lower if im making any runs.

Also if you need more airflow do a setup like mine you will never find one of those spectacle lids, I looked for two years and am actually glad I didnt find one and spend 400 bucks on it for very little gain.
Attached Thumbnails 99 camaro vortech supercharged dyno results-hoss-underhood.png  
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Hey I think you should evaluate what brand of tire you are using. I have 315 hoosiers and I can hook just fine in 3rd and in 2nd up to about 4500 when the boost rolls in. Dont forget the cheapest thing is just lower your air pressure I run mine at 20 and drop it lower if im making any runs.

Also if you need more airflow do a setup like mine you will never find one of those spectacle lids, I looked for two years and am actually glad I didnt find one and spend 400 bucks on it for very little gain.
What kind of setup do you have on the intake side? I didnt think hoosier made a regular street tire?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Define "very little gain". I gained 17 RWHP from it instantly over the stock lid. Also, IIRC, Brian was selling them for $225, not $400. Not trying to start an argument; I don't even think they are for sale anymore. Your set up is far more radical/powerful than mine. I don't know what your car was like when you were looking for one of those lids, but judging from your description it probably would no longer apply to your setup.

here's my feedback from 2003:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ech-users.html

Last edited by TWS; 01-17-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Im guessing I would need an aftermarket hood to have the clearance needed for an intake setup like that, yes? How much above ambient temp do your IAT's look drawing air from the top of the engine like that?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast forward 3 years and now I own this car!
Old 09-22-2015, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cynicalinc5
Fast forward 3 years and now I own this car!
Wow! I have often wondered what happened to it. Still blown and running good?

Quick Reply: 99 camaro vortech supercharged dyno results