Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Locking the Trans during a Dyno test??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Locking the Trans during a Dyno test??

I had a test run on my '95 TA LT1. The graph represents the power from about 3,600 rpm up. They told me at the shop it was necessary to start from there in order to prevent kick down into second gear. I'd really like to see a graph of the engine's power across the full rpm spectrum.

I've been advised to have the trans locked to prevent kick down. Is this the proper way to do it? Is it advisable to have this done during the test process or might it hurt the engine or trans?

Thanks for the insight. Sorry for the beginner's question.

Regards

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Locking the Trans during a Dyno test??-95-ta-dyno-graph-9.jpg  
Old 03-20-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just want the numbers yes you can lock the converter but, it is hard on the converter. If you have something like EFIlive Pro
Predetermine the speed at which it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. Tell the driver unless it's you to floor it right after that speed. Keep the gear shift selecter in 3rd gear.
For determining power, I do 2 or 3 unlocked runs and 1 locked. That way there's a baseline for all conditions.
You will need someone, other than the driver, to lock the converter during the run. When the driver begins to build up speed check the TCC solenoid box and select yes and check TCC PWM. When he floors it select yes