Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

6.0 LQ9 Build-up with AFR 230 heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive results!! I second what Brandon said about Tony. From day one Tony answered all of my countless questions.. before even knowing if I was going to actually purchase anything from him. Its hard to find people to take you seriously without showing $$... Thanks again Tony! For the record, I just received my Mamofied AFR 230's on Thursday--- " A work of Art!"...is all I'll say. I'm building a 416 for my 1993 Mazda RX7, and have purchased numerous parts from Tony ---Ill post results when its dynoed..
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
They are actually REV hollow stem valves.....slightly heavier than cut down LS3 valves but much stouter IMO. Its more of a legit aftermarket race valve IMO.

Brandon,

Good to see you on Tech (and not just "lurking".....LOL)

Thanks for all your feedback and I'm sure when you pick the truck up tomorrow its going to be a completely different animal.....some of it masked by the 52000+ curbweight but its going to have an appetite for RPM like never before.

Should be alot of fun!!

Please drop back in this thread after you get a chance to experience the new combination!

Cheers,
Tony
Update:

Picked my truck up on Friday. I immediately drove it to South Bend, IN to hang out with some family and then back to St. Louis, MO yesterday. I accrued about 700 miles on it over the weekend and all I have to say is WOW! This truck pulls stronger than I expected and around 5K it comes on even stronger. I set the cruise for 70mph with A/C on and achieved 13mpg...honestly wasn't much better stock. The outcome has exceeded my expectations and couldn't be happier with the personal service I received from both Modern Muscle and Tony Mamo. Thanks again!

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone that has posted the positive comments and feedback...great forum!

Brandon

Last edited by prestinb; 04-30-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
formerly twolow02fransen (2014-1-2)

bumping this back up I'm looking at doing a bigger cam in my 6.0 LQ4 in my RCSB 1500 2WD with heads from ADVANCED INDUCTIONS which is there 226cc 243s package right now I'm running one of there 226/230 600/600 111+3 with a 108ICL i just installed a FAST LSXRT and man what a difference it made mines not even ported yet.

just wondering with the cam you ran in this setup was there any PTVC problems I'm at about the same compression 11.1 I'm looking into a high 230s low 240s duration cam my truck is also not a DD just a weekend toy.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
bumping this back up I'm looking at doing a bigger cam in my 6.0 LQ4 in my RCSB 1500 2WD with heads from ADVANCED INDUCTIONS which is there 226cc 243s package right now I'm running one of there 226/230 600/600 111+3 with a 108ICL i just installed a FAST LSXRT and man what a difference it made mines not even ported yet.

just wondering with the cam you ran in this setup was there any PTVC problems I'm at about the same compression 11.1 I'm looking into a high 230s low 240s duration cam my truck is also not a DD just a weekend toy.
There was no PTVC issue at all with the components that were used in my build.

prestinb (Brandon)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Final sound clip of the end build idling...

prestinb (Brandon)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Those combustion chambers are a thing of beauty.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow those dang chambers are F**** pretty.....
Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 AM

truck sounds awesome!!! how do you like the 4.56 gears
Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Teching In

truck sounds awesome!!! how do you like the 4.56 gears
Thanks! Love the gears...it was one of the 1st mods I did after purchasing the truck new in 2005. I feel it should have come from the factory like this...many people think they are crazy but with a 33" tall tire it works perfect. If I can ever get this thing to the track...I believe a 28" tire would be perfect if my calculations are correct.

prestinb (Brandon)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by prestinb
Thanks! Love the gears...it was one of the 1st mods I did after purchasing the truck new in 2005. I feel it should have come from the factory like this...many people think they are crazy but with a 33" tall tire it works perfect. If I can ever get this thing to the track...I believe a 28" tire would be perfect if my calculations are correct.

prestinb (Brandon)
ive been thinking about replacing my 4.10s with 4.56s my truck isnt a DD just a weekend toy.

what are you running for exhaust looks like a corsa ?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Beautiful truck and nice graph to go along with it.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Teching In

ive been thinking about replacing my 4.10s with 4.56s my truck isnt a DD just a weekend toy.

what are you running for exhaust looks like a corsa ?
I had a corsa sport cat-back on at first but it was too obnoxious...It also was just a single 3" exhaust. I went to a custom bent true dual 3" exhaust with x-pipe and it significantly better.

prestinb (Brandon)
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Teching In

I've been toying with the idea of modifying the daily driver. What does this do for mileage? I'm mostly concerned with highway mileage. I figure in town, the mileage approaches 0.

Hal
Old 02-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Teching In

When he added the fast lsxrt did your buddy use stock injectors
Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Teching In

I initially swapped to 42lb LS2 injectors but now have ID1000s due to more granular tuning capabilities.

prestinb (Brandon)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:27 PM

Default Build question

Guys,

Those of you who know me better than most also know how busy I have been the last six months ago helping various individuals with unique projects, some of which are now starting to see the light of day (and being discussed in various other build/dyno threads). Unfortunately my recent "afterhours" workload has back-burnered my own personal project....again....LOL (the 454 I'm building for my C5), but that just goes with the territory.

Anyway, the owner of the beautiful truck below gave me the green-light to post on his behalf and one of the unique factors I like here is that he has documented lots of the progress of his truck build in steps which show the value of all the mods in question alot more clearly.

Here is a picture of his 2006 GMC Sierra VMAX 2wd....its pretty sharp looking!

Lets talk about the baseline of the truck.....unfortunately Brandon (the owner) never dyno tested the truck bone stock but with these mods:

2006 GMC VMAX 2WD 6.0 LQ9, 3/4 Drop, 4.56 Gears, 33" Tire, Zippy Shift Kit, Billet Servos, Dynatech LT Headers, No Cats, Magnaflow Cat-Back, K&N CAI

It produced the power curves seen below thru heavy wheels, 4.56 gears, and an automatic transmission with the stock converter (the converter was locked for this and all future testing btw).

He then added the following:

3000 Stall, Custom Cam - 235/239 .621/.624 112 +3, Custom Tune.

I would note the cam choice is (IMO) aggressive for a 6.0 truck at 2+ tons, but this vehicle is more a toy than a daily hauler and he was thrilled with the top end results. You cant argue with them thats for sure but I might have tried to talk him into something a hair less aggressive (he purchased the cam and had it installed just prior to contacting me inquiring about a ported 102 FAST LSXRT manifold).

Here are the results of the new converter, the new cam, and a tune to take advantage of both:

The LS engine really responds to cam swaps.....they are unquestionably the biggest bang for the buck in a normally aspirated LS street/strip engine. So it was just shortly after the cam install that Brandon reached out to me for the first time inquiring about the virtues of one of my ported FAST 102 truck intakes. I assured him it would make a sizable difference and Brandon quickly jumped at the chance to try it in an effort to improve and fatten his impressive results from the cam swap.

He also installed at the same time a new 102 TB, a custom CAI to hook up to the larger TB, and larger (42#) injectors.

Here is a pic of that new set-up on the dyno and ready to make some noise!

And the results from the ported FAST 102/102 install which are even more impressive when you consider that this truck still had the stock LQ9 heads and a good intake will always look better when its placed in front of a really good set of heads (thats when the stock intakes represent the largest restrictions allowing the better manifolds to shine when you do the swap). We were both thrilled with the results and the area under the curve gains were really strong also!

Of course when is "enough" ever really enough....weeks later I get the call from Brandon inquiring what he thought an aftermarket set of heads might be worth.....you guys can figure out how the rest of the conversation went.....LOL. Brandon isnt a guy to skimp so after couple of discussions and an email or three he took the plunge on a "Mamofied" set of AFR 230's in addition to the following upgrades and components which I provided for him:

Hollow stem 2.080 Intake Valves
Cometic .040 Head Gasket
Comp Short Travel Lifters
Manton 11/32 Custom Length Pushrods
Yella Terra Ultralight Shaftrockers
Heads milled to 61 cc's for a final CR of 11.3 to 1

A couple of pics of the heads I did for him and a shot of them being installed

And ultimately the final results which would be pretty impressive in a car, never mind a power robbing truck driveline with huge 33" tall extremely heavy tires! The heads really woke up the combination, fattening an already fat curve even more helping to tie all the previous mods together. Guys, look at the torque increase after 5500 RPM's or so.....50+ RWHP and 50+ ft/lbs of torque! I sandbagged a bit when I told Brandon what the head swap might be worth but these results even surprised me a little....needless to say he was pleased.

Obviously a shout out has to go out to all the guys at Modern Muscle who did a great job handling most (or possibly all) of the install labor and various tunes along the way to optimize each combo as it kept increasing in efficiency, not to mention Brandon himself who has been as patient as a saint and still hasn't gotten a chance to experience it with the new heads yet but will do so shortly.

Now I don't know if Brandon had planned on it, but Im going to encourage him to get this truck to a dragstrip just for fun and see what its capable off. It has the power of a really stout stroker engine with his bone stock 6.0 liter shortblock....

The devil is in the details guys (and of course selecting the right components) and the results of this build clearly show that!

Cheers,
Tony

PS....If you want some additional details, a few more pics, etc. and are interested in seeing the original thread that Brandon himself started on another message board (SilveradoSS.com), click here

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/to...-build-thread/

I just tried to keep this thread on point and share most of the technical data that you guys crave more easily seen in a progressive type build.

I have almost the same build with my 01 2500hd but debated on the lsxrt 102. Wasn't sure if it would fit under the hood. Was modification needed or does it fit wit the 2" hood? Also did all the factory connections work fuel rails etc or were those needed to be replaced with the manifold?
Old 03-23-2021, 07:26 AM
Teching In

There should be zero fitment issues with any stock hood on any truck. To my knowledge, only cars have fitment issues with the tall LSXRT. Honestly, it is not much taller that the stock LQ9 intake. I switched to the Fast fuel rail system and ID1000 injectors at the same time. Since my truck is a returnless rail, I plumbed everything with AN hose/connections.

prestinb

Quick Reply: 6.0 LQ9 Build-up with AFR 230 heads