Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

408 Low Results

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then do the intake only and see how much you pick up. Again remember that on your 347 the fast would have shown double digit gains by itself, the gains on a 408 would be compounded
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for comparison sake got back from the dyno with the h/c/i LS1 firehawk. Through his 12bolt and 3.73's we ended up with 453/420wtq SAE. Same Dyno 4 days later.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

found another close 408 setup with the smaller 243 Stage 1 LS6 heads, slightly larger cam, FAST 92, Moser 12 bolt, 4.10, 402 11:1 SCR:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ls6-heads.html
Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

You suggestion would have been better idea on the build ! There where looking for a good quench should have just used smaller head gasket and saved the decking that same setup with piston on top of block at 0 and .040 would have be same thing with same piston ! Minus that far out of the hole and cost to do a foolish thing like that !
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

The stage two heads will support 500 i have seen it before ! 408 m stix 4 cam and ls6 heads 511 hp 492 trq
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
The stage two heads will support 500 i have seen it before ! 408 m stix 4 cam and ls6 heads 511 hp 492 trq
I was under the same impression with the heads. As for running the piston that far out of the hole, correct me if Im wrong, but isnt this setup kinda screwed for adding some spray??? Would it cause the piston to look like you ran a torch down the side of it and be a huge risk to the ring land?

would boost be a decent Idea or would the same risk apply???

Just looking for other options here to get his power up.......

Of course, AFR/TFS heads, better headers, and a FAST 102 would probly show some slight gains.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,

The OP PM'ed me bringing my attention to this thread so I thought I would respond in the open forum to share some ideas

I would advise checking cranking compression immediately.....

Start with the basics

If that doesn't look right it answers alot of questions immediately.....if it does look right it makes the answer more challenging (but never impossible) to find.

The fact your making stock cube torque figures (and HP for that matter) on a dyno other cars have rolled kind of what you might expect (ruling out a super stingy dyno) is obviously troubling.

Like I said....start with the basics....cranking PSI gives a good idea of the true compression ratio and whether the cam is in correctly.

I urged someone else to do this recently and his CCR was reaaaalllly LOW (like low 100's). He took his engine apart to find out the pistons were down the hole like .050 (they were made for a crank that had a longer arm!)

Anyway....the cranking compression immediatly lead him to take apart the engine ad see whats what. If your CCR is strong then you have to start considering conventional airflow related restrictions that could be holding you back but you need to check the CCR first and check every cylinder btw to see how even they are across the board.

Keep us posted!

-Tony
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the insight Tony! Will pass the word along and see if he can get it checked out in a timely fashion!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 06X6spdGTO
I DID NOT DO This BUILD!!

When I heard about the piston being run that far out of the hole I suggested NOT to. Blueprint Engines (Builders for this setup) Stated that they run pistons out of the hole all the time for the race engines and that it would make the car have more power with less timing.
WTF was blueprint engines thinking running the pistons that far above deck! Or even decking the block that far?!?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Well guys,

Dont know how to say this but the mentioned engine building company has asked to have their name removed from this build and anything to do with this engine.

So how do I word this,

The engine was built in a storage shed with a couple of cresent wrenches and a file, a gas powered belt sander was used to deck the block and an old ice auger to bore it.

A couple of average joes through it together.

Still looking for answers, for whatever the hell thats worth.......

Will post the cranking compressions result as soon as the owner gets them from the ford dealer!

F-A-I-L!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Teching In

If you ask me this whole engine was doomed from the start. The owner don't know **** about engines, he just had the checkbook. It is his fault for not using a little feature we all have come to know as the "SEARCH" function before deciding what he wanted to do. The builder is brain washed by an idiot that thinks he knows all when it comes to building engines so he just did what was suggested to do. That guy could learn a thing or two while he's trolling around here worrying about his image. And last but not least I would just drive the damn thing the way it is or start over from scratch.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by summitss/rsls3
If you ask me this whole engine was doomed from the start. The owner don't know **** about engines, he just had the checkbook. It is his fault for not using a little feature we all have come to know as the "SEARCH" function before deciding what he wanted to do. The builder is brain washed by an idiot that thinks he knows all when it comes to building engines so he just did what was suggested to do. That guy could learn a thing or two while he's trolling around here worrying about his image. And last but not least I would just drive the damn thing the way it is or start over from scratch.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Cranking Compression Ratio:

With the throttle blade cracked open while cranking (Front to Back)

Drivers Side: Passenger Side:
195 200
198 200
200 198
200 198

Pushrod length was verified to 0 lash then a turn and a half, with about .090 preload on LS7 lifters

Last edited by 06X6spdGTO; 05-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cranking pressure is good....about what I would expect....and thats bad because now you would really have to start digging into things.

Are you sure this engine is 400 CID??....LOL

No easy answer from here....you will either have to just suck it up and drive it or take it apart and check everything over to make sure all of it is up to spec.

Not to many other choices the way I see it

Good luck....if you guys decide to "dig" let the rest of the community know what you find.

-Tony
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Cranking pressure is good....about what I would expect....and thats bad because now you would really have to start digging into things.

Are you sure this engine is 400 CID??....LOL

No easy answer from here....you will either have to just suck it up and drive it or take it apart and check everything over to make sure all of it is up to spec.

Not to many other choices the way I see it

Good luck....if you guys decide to "dig" let the rest of the community know what you find.

-Tony
Thanks for the help tony,

This seems like a steep rut to deal with. I guess its up to the owner now on which route to choose. Both seem pricey- But if this was cheap everybody would be doing it!!! Gotta pay to play

Quick Reply: 408 Low Results