Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno Results After NEW FAST 92 Install .

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 224R and the 228R will both pass emissions and tick has a emission friendly cam too
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I am not looking at peak numbers either - I don't like how he lost torque under the curve.
Most cams are going to make you lose torque down low...is that a stupid mod too?

Anyway...back from the dead because there aren't too many threads on the new version of this IM. Does ANYONE have a pic of this IM next to their stock LS1/6 one?
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to be fair about this. But for the cost of this intake plus the TB that you need and the option to get it ported i'm just a little concerned about its characteristics. Now this intake is supposed to have better runners, a better plenum design, and it has a larger TB opening compared to the LS6 intake. When you compare the cost vs power gain things become a concern. From idle to 90mph or mid range the FAST actually makes less HP and TQ compared to the stock intake. Why? The FAST intake according to FAST and the shops who sell them say its a far superior intake than the LS6. So no way should a stock intake out perform an intake that cost as much as a FAST intake. But i have to give credit to FAST because at a little over 90mph or mid-range the FAST makes a strong increase in HP and TQ over the LS6 intake all the way until 6,500 rpm.
Thats the part i like about the new FAST 92. But once you start adding the cost of the intake, a TB you're just about the same cost for a set of ported LS1 or LS6 heads, and about the same price for ARH headers w/y-pipe. Now add in the cost of porting the intake. According to FAST and every place that sells it claims its far superior to an LS6 intake. Yet below mid-range, where the motor spends most of its time, the LS6 intake doesn't have the dip in TQ or HP like a $1,000 intake does. Now in the hands of someone that knows how to port the FAST to reach its full potential and make the FAST produce more TQ and HP from idle to 6,500 or higher i might be able to justify the cost because you're going to get the power that you originally want and paid for. Honestly you don't think that FAST doesn't know that they aren't giving you all the power you paid for? They have engineers that design these intakes, so they know what parts that make up the intake that can maximize the intakes full power potential. Thats why they built the thing to be able to be opened up so porters and speed shops can port them and charge the customer a healthy charge to open the intake and rework the runners, remove any extra material, etc. So now add the total cost...gotta be way over $1,500+ for an intake that needs to be ported properly to get any real gains. Again power vs. cost. it's a cool looking intake but is it worth that much money? And a lot of guys believe that fine tuning the PCM accounts for a good chunk of the intakes gain. With this economy and with slow economies in the past people bought parts that gave them the most performance for their dollar. Yet in this slow economy it's amazing to see guys spending well over $1,400 for an intake that really only shows meaningful gains above mid-range to red line. You can buy HP Tuner, or stainless headers w/cats, and a lot of bolt ons that will give you a lot more gains for your dollar. And it's still funny how guys will justify spending a fortune for a FAST setup yet think its a waste of money to spend $350 to a shop like TPIS to convert the LS6 intake to a larger TB opening when every test proved that the 90mm LS6 intake makes almost the same HP as a FAST yet the LS6 doesn't have the large dip in power like the FAST does from idle to mid-range. So other than dyno numbers and bragging that you have the money to spend $1,500, but there;s hardly a soul that reports that after installing a FAST that they lowered their ET's. And i just don't fully trust dyno results. Shops that sell and port the FAST intake have a motive to sell a product and a service, so they can claim anything they want cause as long as those intakes sit on the shelf they aren't making the money to pay FAST back. But i would like to hear from anyone why a top end intake makes less power than a stocker from idle to mid-range. Thx
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^ Very well said I must say!! The ONLY thing that really deters me from these intakes is the price. The true bang for the buck here just seems out of proportion
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That post was a little hard for me to read but I think I got the jist of what you're saying. Anyway this is the first dyno I have seen where the fast intake lost torque under a certain rpm. The other dynos I have seen in stock cars are all the same, they sacrifice nothing below 3500 rpm and gain everywhere from there on up which is exactly how FAST designed the intake.

I have seen multiple fast 92 swaps on cts-v's and z06's and even a z28 posted in here not too long ago where they lost nothing low and gained up top over an ls6 intake all on bolt on cars.

Anyway a fast more so a ported one is always going to make more power and torque than an ls6 up top and should equal it down low theres a lot of evidence to support this. Especially with a h/c setup the gains are much more substantial than on a bolt on car.

If you do it correctly you can easily put together a 92/92 for under 1k. I bought a vengeance ported 92 and with a 92mm tb and new dyno tune I'm coming in just under 700 for everything after selling my ls6 intake

Fasts are expensive nonetheless but at a certain point they become the last spot to "free" up hp. People who have a h/c setup are missing out on ~25whp without one and even bolt on guys can gain some by doing a fast. It makes sense for some people obviously. And no offense but I have yet to see a 90mm ls6 come close to a ported fast. If you ever get the chance to see the intakes side by side you will see the difference. The ls6 runners and height look down right tiny compared to the fast runner length.

Besides the point though even if the intake does lose a little below 3500 who's going to notice that? Who races at 3500 rpm? Driving around town no one would notice a 10ft lb loss. As soon as the race starts and you launch into the 4k rpm range youre already making more power and will stay above there when you shift

@HCI I could easily see you pick up around 25 at the wheels with a home ported fast 92. Its pretty easy to go through and port one, you wont have a MAMO port job but you will still see some good gains over a non ported fast.

Last edited by redbird555; 05-09-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not the mod you do before you already have the other things you mentioned. I agree that money is better spent on headers, heads, tuning, etc....but what if you've already done those?

The intake doesn't gain a ton on a stockish car because the stock heads and cam can only flow so much and rev so high. But toss one on a car that needs it and it will pick up more.

It's still not cheap, but for a strong NA build it's part of the game.

Also again, not all cars lose power or have this "dip" you talk about. Not that it matters because if you have a manual trans or a stalled auto you aren't going to see below 3k rpms anytime it matters anyway. (and if you're racing a stock stall auto and spent money on a fast instead of a stall...you quite frankly need a new hobby)
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Teching In

My 2001 Z28SS w slp headers, cats, muffler, CAI, and MAF made 350HP/370TRQ with a tune. almost done putting on AFR 210cc heads, Crane 1.7s, comp 224/230 .581/.592 114LSA, FAST 92/92, and 36 inj. heads are flowin 293-303cfm from .400-.600, anybody have a similar setup with dyno results? hopin for like 480rwhp, is this a pipe dream, or am i close? im getting mixed answers from diff tuners and gear heads. thx fro ne input.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bill 01SS
My 2001 Z28SS w slp headers, cats, muffler, CAI, and MAF made 350HP/370TRQ with a tune. almost done putting on AFR 210cc heads, Crane 1.7s, comp 224/230 .581/.592 114LSA, FAST 92/92, and 36 inj. heads are flowin 293-303cfm from .400-.600, anybody have a similar setup with dyno results? hopin for like 480rwhp, is this a pipe dream, or am i close? im getting mixed answers from diff tuners and gear heads. thx fro ne input.
I think your hopes are high. It takes a very well thought out combo and fine tuning to get that high with stock cube ls1.

If 480+rwhp is your goal you should consider:

catless duals or a catless 3" to 4" free flowing y pipe system
1 7/8 headers
large lid setup with SD or large MAF
professionally ported FAST intake
spot on tune
possibly some massage work on the heads
Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Damn, thx 507, funds are too low for extra porting this year, when i do stroker set up in a couple of years i guess i'll send the heads and intake out for porting. That Chevelles sweet, big fan. I was tryin same set up as i saw on AFRs site under LS1 article. He claimed 483rwhp w these heads, int, TB, n similar cam. Ill post numbers in a couple of months when im done.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I want to be fair about this. blah blah blah
"Reasoning" like what you posted explains the bolt-on type of performance you're getting from your H/C car. WHEN DRAG RACING low RPM torque is worthless. And about that $1400 for ~15rwhp argument of yours... Do you think aftermarket casting cylinder heads are a similar waste compared to budget ported stock castings?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
"Reasoning" like what you posted explains the bolt-on type of performance you're getting from your H/C car. WHEN DRAG RACING low RPM torque is worthless. And about that $1400 for ~15rwhp argument of yours... Do you think aftermarket casting cylinder heads are a similar waste compared to budget ported stock castings?
Great, but i don't drive on the track. Giving up low end torque, which i'll use everyday, for maybe 13 hp over an stock intake and for the cost for that 13 hp is what's worthless. And since you want to bring up " Drag Racing " what did you gain at the track?? I don't see too many people claiming they ran better at the track with a FAST over a LS6 intake.
As far as the head comparison...no i don't consider aftermarket heads a waste over ported stockers because both types of heads have PROVEN gains on and off the track, not just on a dyno which is the only place I've seen a FAST intake make a difference. Show me real world gains like a time slip, not a dyno sheet.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 06-18-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbird555
That post was a little hard for me to read but I think I got the jist of what you're saying. Anyway this is the first dyno I have seen where the fast intake lost torque under a certain rpm. The other dynos I have seen in stock cars are all the same, they sacrifice nothing below 3500 rpm and gain everywhere from there on up which is exactly how FAST designed the intake.

Fasts are expensive nonetheless but at a certain point they become the last spot to "free" up hp. People who have a h/c setup are missing out on ~25whp without one and even bolt on guys can gain some by doing a fast. It makes sense for some people obviously. And no offense but I have yet to see a 90mm ls6 come close to a ported fast. If you ever get the chance to see the intakes side by side you will see the difference. The ls6 runners and height look down right tiny compared to the fast runner length.

Ok you've seen dynos of different cars? Do you know what they gained at the track if anything? When you say " yet to see a 90mm LS6 come close to a ported FAST" what r u referring to? More dyno numbers?
As far as the FAST runner length it's less than 1/2 inches longer than an LS6 runner. They are both close to 11 inches. The FAST 102 is 11.5 inches.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Bottom line to each is own..and it's fine to put on your car what u want no matter what the cost. But dyno numbers don't tell the whole story, to see how effective a part is is to test it in a real world setting, the track. Most people take their car to the track then to out run their stock times people start to mod the car. I've just seen too many guys on here post a track time and mph then install a FAST intake then say they haven't been back to the track yet after the install..Now come on...we all know that after we install a part the first thing we all want to know is what gains did we get. But for some reason i've seen too many post where guys claim they haven't been back to the track to see what the FAST gained them...Yeah Right!! And as many post of guys claiming outrageous dyno gains there's a lot that claim little gains or no gains. I know it's all about the setup. But there's always a huge controversy surrounding this one part. And every post is about 3 or more pages long. WHY? Because half think its worth the price vs. gain and half don't.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great, but i don't drive on the track.
WOT on the street is not different than WOT on the track. If you're actually using the low RPM where you claim the FAST loses torque, then you're doing everything wrong.

And since you want to bring up " Drag Racing " what did you gain at the track?? I don't see too many people claiming they ran better at the track with a FAST over a LS6 intake.
As far as the head comparison...no i don't consider aftermarket heads a waste over ported stockers because both types of heads have PROVEN gains on and off the track, not just on a dyno which is the only place I've seen a FAST intake make a difference. Show me real world gains like a time slip, not a dyno sheet.
I don't have back to back LS6 to FAST track numbers. My H/C car trapped 121 with a 3600 stall, single exhaust with cutout, and a LS6 intake in cold fall air with a negative DA. After a PT4000 converter, 3" dual setup with, and the FAST it went 124 weighing 40lbs MORE and in humid 80F summer air.

The FAST intake IS proven, period. EVERYONE who knows anything about these stock style intakes agrees, except you and a few misinformed others. The power per dollar argument has some merit. But like I stated earlier, ported stock casting cylinder heads vs aftermarket castings show similar power differences for similar monetary investment, yet you somehow agree they are worthwhile? Overlooking the FAST intake based upon your "reasoning" is part of the reason why so many cars run poorly and you end up with a turd H/C car like yours.

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 06-19-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

WOT on the street is not different than WOT on the track. If you're actually using the low RPM where you claim the FAST loses torque, then you're doing everything wrong.

I don't have back to back LS6 to FAST track numbers. My H/C car trapped 121 with a 3600 stall, single exhaust with cutout, and a LS6 intake in cold fall air with a negative DA. After a PT4000 converter, 3" dual setup with, and the FAST it went 124 weighing 40lbs MORE and in humid 80F summer air.

The FAST intake IS proven, period. EVERYONE who knows anything about these stock style intakes agrees, except you and a few misinformed others. The power per dollar argument has some merit. But like I stated earlier, ported stock casting cylinder heads vs aftermarket castings show similar power differences for similar monetary investment, yet you somehow agree they are worthwhile? Overlooking the FAST intake based upon your "reasoning" is part of the reason why so many cars run poorly and you end up with a turd H/C car like yours.
A few misinformed? You speak for everyone on this site? So anyone that doesn't think the FAST is worth the price is misinformed? I wasn't claiming ****..my comments are all based on the original dyno sheet. And you can do a search and find plenty of post where people commented about the same torque loss, or little gains. Most of the post that claim any gains are dyno gains only. Even you made other changes that more than likely gave you your gains. And what ET's did you run before and after the FAST install? Yes cause both aftermarket and ported stock heads show a dramatic difference at the track and on dynos. Every person that installed aftermarket or ported heads post track proven results. And you aren't going to compare the results of a set of ported LS1/LS6 heads or TFS and AFR heads to the results of a FAST are you? And you say i'm misinformed. You are only justifying your purchase of a overpriced part. You want to compare a FAST with a 92mm TB opening vs. a LS6 with a 78mm TB opening. And since a stock ported TB will give you gains you don't think opening an LS6 to 90mm isn't going to give any increase? TPIS and Lingenfelter both tested a ported FAST vs. a 90mm LS6 intake and there's only a few FWHP differences. And that was on a 427cid motor. But if i only got 10 rwhp out of a 90mm LS6 atleast it only cost be $350.00 plus the TB cost. A hell of a site less than a new ported FAST 92 with a TB.

Oh boy you just taught me a lesson by calling my H/C setup a turd!!! That's the best you got? And thats your defense for buying a overpriced POS? You don't know **** about my setup, especially since i don't own the car anymore, and the setup was from 10 years ago. My 241's weren't even fully ported, just the valve guide area was touched, and removal of casting flash. And i ran a 15 year old technology Comp. 216/220 cam, stock TB, descreened MAF, stock 10 bolt with 3.23's and a Vig3600. What H/C setup you running? I'll bet anything you're running a larger cam and larger heads. So we have 2 different setups completely. My car ran great, BTW. Full weight WS6. But regardless of your true track times, the FAST had little to do with it, PERIOD.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 06-19-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh boy you just taught me a lesson by calling my H/C setup a turd!!! That's the best you got? And thats your defense for buying a overpriced POS? You don't know **** about my setup, especially since i don't own the car anymore, and the setup was from 10 years ago. My 241's weren't even fully ported, just the valve guide area was touched, and removal of casting flash. And i ran a 15 year old technology Comp. 216/220 cam, stock TB, descreened MAF, stock 10 bolt with 3.23's and a Vig3600. What H/C setup you running? I'll bet anything you're running a larger cam and larger heads. So we have 2 different setups completely. My car ran great, BTW. Full weight WS6. But regardless of your true track times, the FAST had little to do with it, PERIOD.
My old setup (put together in 02/03) with GTP ported 241s, 221/221 cam, single exhaust, 3600 stall converter went 11.3 @ 118 with a 3700lb raceweight. So yeah, your car is a turd.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by transamtom
So 13 HP and 10tq over the stock LS1?

Did you get it tuned as well?
It's my biggest issue with this intake. He lost a good amount of torque in the mid range. Look at that dip. And the HP doesn't come in to about 3,000+ rpm. A little hard to see cause they used MPH instead of RPM. And there's really no big gains in the HP department. That small of HP gain plus the dip in torque would help at the track...Torque is the name of the game...same on the street. That's the power over an LS1 intake? Or did he mean an LS6 intake? Ooops i see the egr. so it is a LS1 intake. Those gains are horrible over a LS1 intake. Bolt on a LS6 intake and your numbers would almost match.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

My old setup (put together in 02/03) with GTP ported 241s, 221/221 cam, single exhaust, 3600 stall converter went 11.3 @ 118 with a 3700lb raceweight. So yeah, your car is a turd.
Hey buddy, your times and mph don't match. If you ran a 11.3 your MPH would be over 120mph. So talking about turds, you got one for sure. I know Craig at GTP and he makes heads with healthy size runners. I bought 4 sets from him. Plus your cam is a 221/221. So you have all those bigger parts then mine and you only ran 118 mph? That shows you weren't making horsepower for ****.
What was your 60' time during that 11.3 run? The stall is what gave you that 11.3. My heads were only a home ported style 241's. Not ported like GTP heads. He makes the runners on the big side and he used aftermarket valves. i still had stock valves. So it's you pal that drove a turd. With your mods 118mph is a joke. So i guess you dynoed what 380rwhp tops? And you have a good stall so missing shifts isn't the problem.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

That's amazing..i guessed right, you were running larger heads and cam then i was. An a racing high stall converter. Plus your sig. says 118mph but 121-124 after mods. Thats fine. You maybe gained 1or 2 mph with the fast. So you gained some MPH, what was your HONEST E.T. after the FAST? Did you up the cam size when you did the FAST install? You are trying to compare apples to oranges when it comes to our cars. Post up your ET. Then we'll see.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Lol at this if you're trying to claim the FAST is what did the bulk of the gain in going 121 to 124. You switched to a bigger harder hitting stall that could make you more efficient on the top end and changed the whole exhaust setup....both of which ALONE have been proven to make mph changes like yours.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results After NEW FAST 92 Install .