Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

As cast TFS 220/Stock LS6/Stock TB/1 x 3/4"/custom cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
MArtin@Tick,
How is the valvetrain noise with this build? No "sewing machine noise" alot of people get with cam setups?

I really like how you reply to all questions. Very imformative!!!! So. Thanks. LOL

Jim
Hello Jim.

If you ask Brian(Bwolf) he will tell you that initially with just 1/2 turn of preload on his lifters he had some initial valve-train noise. When he added the extra 1/2 turn we suggested it alleviated 75-80% of what was there.

The lobe combination this camshaft profile has is not known for it's "sewing machine" noise as the older lobe profiles are known to do with there symmetrical lobe designs having the same closing ramp as the opening ramp which can cause that "ticking" noise some complain about. Most of the time their lifter preload is off or incorrect altogether though.

Now, when swapping to a stiff dual spring, stiffer push rods and aftermarket camshaft lobes there will be some associated rise in valve-train noise, but nothing that should worry or bother the user because it is that loud.

Thank you for the compliment, I try to always answer every question that is directed at myself or that may be quoting something I have said good or bad every time. I may be blunt and to the point in my answers, but I have always admired and had much respect for the vendors on this site that operate in the same manner.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At first when I had them set at 1/2 turn past zero lash they were a little noisy. I tightened them down to 1 turn past zero lash which put the preload around .060" and they are pretty dam quiet now.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

Brian any further progress been made with the valve train?

I really want to see this thing crack the 470rwhp mark.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

I'm posting up a thread about looking for some different roller rockers and I will do the springs at the same time. I have an 85mm MAF and everythign sitting in my garage awaiting for me to install it. The last 2 weeks have been crazy. I'm finally going to be making more progress. I need to watch calibrated success again to see the MAF scaling done again...lol.

Any ideas as far as rockers are concerned? YT ultra lites?

Also I have got to get my clutch swapped soon. my pedal get stiff after getting on it for some reason...I think the slave is getting hot and sticking or something. I"m going to replace all of that in the swap.

Last edited by bwolfZ28; 10-07-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bwolfZ28
I'm posting up a thread about looking for some different roller rockers and I will do the springs at the same time. I have an 85mm MAF and everythign sitting in my garage awaiting for me to install it. The last 2 weeks have been crazy. I'm finally going to be making more progress. I need to watch calibrated success again to see the MAF scaling done again...lol.

Any ideas as far as rockers are concerned? YT ultra lites?

Also I have got to get my clutch swapped soon. my pedal get stiff after getting on it for some reason...I think the slave is getting hot and sticking or something. I"m going to replace all of that in the swap.
If you're wanting to switch rockers to get rid of a lot of that over the nose weight your current rockers do the best thing I can think of you doing would be to swap to the powdered metal guides and stock rockers.

That and the 85mm MAF will be worth a lot of power. Letting this thing pull to 6700rpm like it should and getting some more air in will be worth a lot. I have seen to many broken YT's lately to feel comfortable recommending them to anyone, and that isn't just on the internet I've seen them break. I've got a set that's broken sitting on my desk right now at the shop.

If you want to do a clutch swap and if you don't already have our master I can make you a great deal on the clutch, slave, master, speed bleeder, pilot bearing and throwout bearing so you can do it all at once along with the rockers, guides and springs. If you were planning on the BTR max pressure springs I think we have some of those in stock too.

You know I'll take care of you Brian.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

I know you'll take care of me Martin...As soon as this car I bought sells I will do the clutch and all that. I bought the car cheap...fixed a few key issues and will make a huge profit. If I pull the heads to swap out the guides I just may throw some different valves in there. Is there a lot of machining that needs to be done with the ls3 valves? I'm sure they are bigger...correct me if im wrong.

Or do they cut the ls3 valve down to 2.04?

Last edited by bwolfZ28; 10-07-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 PM
FormerVendor

I know you'll take care of me Martin...As soon as this car I bought sells I will do the clutch and all that. I bought the car cheap...fixed a few key issues and will make a huge profit. If I pull the heads to swap out the guides I just may throw some different valves in there. Is there a lot of machining that needs to be done with the ls3 valves? I'm sure they are bigger...correct me if im wrong.

Or do they cut the ls3 valve down to 2.04?
TEA cuts them down to 2.04 so you're good to go there

With those valves and stock rockers you'd have the ultimate valve-train IMO! I think a lot of people overlook the valve-train side of things and just throw the most powerful cam and heads on there engine and wonder why they can't duplicate Chris' results. His power is in his valve-train.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 PM
9 Second Club

Ok good thing i kept my stock rockers...lol So list of parts would be:

BT max pressure springs
Trunion Upgrade
LS3 cut valves

Am I missing anything? And do you know if the valves would be just a drop in that I could do in my garage or is there anything else involved? Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

Ok good thing i kept my stock rockers...lol So list of parts would be:

BT max pressure springs
Trunion Upgrade
LS3 cut valves

Am I missing anything? And do you know if the valves would be just a drop in that I could do in my garage or is there anything else involved? Thanks
You may have to lap the valves to make sure they seal properly, but other than that I'm pretty sure they will drop right in.

I'll PM Chris1313 and see if he will poke his head in here.

Your list of parts looks complete other than the powdered metal guides. You might end up having to take your heads, the guides and the valves to your machine shop you had mill the heads and have them perform the work.

You're pretty handy so if it's something you can do I'm sure you will.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I forgot about getting the guide installed. I will have the shop do that. One thing I've heard about stock rockers is keeping the open pressure below 400lbs...is that true an can someone clear this up. If this is true those max press springs definitely won't work.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

I finally figured out how to get the idle airflow - desired airflow table to pull up in the scanner. Now I just need to let my car cool back down. I'm trying to get my IAC counts up but it just wants to die. I got to around 35-40 now and it isnt dying anymore. Should I try to optimize that after I get the idle airflow fixed? Do I have a vacuum leak or are FAST Tb's a pain in the ***?

Last edited by bwolfZ28; 10-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the 220cc heads milled just a bit with trunion upgrade but with a vrx5 cam and i made 456/404. Ive now added the 102/102 setup also and my drivability is fine just the rpms hang a little bit until i come to a complete stop and it idels back down.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

I take it you had the powdered metal guides installed when you bought the heads? I'm beginning to think I have an air leak somewhere. I'm going to check all my lines and then do a base idle airflow scan and then correct my RAF in my tune and see if that helps.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Just the regular Bronze guides that come in them assembled man. Hopefully you get all your stuff corrected
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't go through the whole thread but yes give tea a call and they will hook you up with some ls3 valves that are backcut, and blueprinted to the tfs seats for your tfs heads...

The ls3 valves need to be checked again for zero lash, I am running morels with .030 preload and iirc my intakes were around .007 shorter which isn't to much of a big deal...just something to check out...

Valves probably don't need to be lapped in but I did it anyways...I bought some 400grit on eBay in a small container other wise it will cost a decent penny...you only need a tiny bit to do the trick...

My springs are the .700 lift pacs 1521s I believe...not cheap iirc like 400-500 with to retainers...also I have the yella Terra's cause I got them with the heads and decided to run them...currently I still have a set of trunion upgrades in my tool box and was going to test the back to back difference between the two bit never got around to it...I wanted to see if the graph would carry a little longer and more stable...I do think the majority of problem was solved with the heavy *** valves being swapped out but still curious to see...

Have someone open that fast up some for you...also I would run a fast 102 with a 102 intake to a 4" intake tube that has a bellmouth at the opening through a fog light hole or Camaro opening...it is better than a standard lid cause a 98mm lid is actually necked down to a 84mm opening...I have flowed them before that is why I modified my lid to a true 4" bellmouth, takes dropping the radiator down 3" though to get a straight shot...

Well there you have it at least 30rwhp there...oh yeah just the lid alone gave 8-10rwhp over a FTP 98mm lid, both in SD tune

Don't forget a good merging y pipe... Flowmaster 300400 is what I have kind of budget being it was only 50ish dollars
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah I forgot about getting the guide installed. I will have the shop do that. One thing I've heard about stock rockers is keeping the open pressure below 400lbs...is that true an can someone clear this up. If this is true those max press springs definitely won't work.
Yes that is true. You would need BTR Platinum springs instead for stock rockers.
Originally Posted by chrs1313
Didn't go through the whole thread but yes give tea a call and they will hook you up with some ls3 valves that are backcut, and blueprinted to the tfs seats for your tfs heads...

The ls3 valves need to be checked again for zero lash, I am running morels with .030 preload and iirc my intakes were around .007 shorter which isn't to much of a big deal...just something to check out...

Valves probably don't need to be lapped in but I did it anyways...I bought some 400grit on eBay in a small container other wise it will cost a decent penny...you only need a tiny bit to do the trick...

My springs are the .700 lift pacs 1521s I believe...not cheap iirc like 400-500 with to retainers...also I have the yella Terra's cause I got them with the heads and decided to run them...currently I still have a set of trunion upgrades in my tool box and was going to test the back to back difference between the two bit never got around to it...I wanted to see if the graph would carry a little longer and more stable...I do think the majority of problem was solved with the heavy *** valves being swapped out but still curious to see...

Have someone open that fast up some for you...also I would run a fast 102 with a 102 intake to a 4" intake tube that has a bellmouth at the opening through a fog light hole or Camaro opening...it is better than a standard lid cause a 98mm lid is actually necked down to a 84mm opening...I have flowed them before that is why I modified my lid to a true 4" bellmouth, takes dropping the radiator down 3" though to get a straight shot...

Well there you have it at least 30rwhp there...oh yeah just the lid alone gave 8-10rwhp over a FTP 98mm lid, both in SD tune

Don't forget a good merging y pipe... Flowmaster 300400 is what I have kind of budget being it was only 50ish dollars
Like this chris?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 AM
9 Second Club

Martin: Do you have any other pics of that intake setup?

And for the record I finally got my idle surge, hanging idle all fixed. I ran a russ idle airflow config and adjusted my RAF values and it helped quite a bit. One other thing I did was rescale the IAC vs Effective Area to account for the larger TB. Now when I coast at 40mph or so to a stop it drops right back down to idle and its perfect.

I also got rid of my unbaffled stock valve covers today as well. I finally got some spacers and picked up some stock valve covers and installed them. I redid my vacuum lines with new braided line I had laying around and the car runs a lot better. I wasnt sure I possibly had a small vac leak or if the tune was messed up. When I ran the idle airflow config the values were off as much as 20-25 percent. Now that I got it idling around 35 IAC counts now its time to step up the game in the power dept. I got a quote from TEA for 8 ls3 valves. I'll probably pick them up here in a few weeks. I do need to get that 85mm maf installed yet too.

Would it be wise for me to rescale the MAF just on the street without a wideband? I do need to get one installed for ease of tuning. I need to refresh memory of tuning the new MAF so I get it right.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned

In for results glad you got it squared off!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Martin: Do you have any other pics of that intake setup?

And for the record I finally got my idle surge, hanging idle all fixed. I ran a russ idle airflow config and adjusted my RAF values and it helped quite a bit. One other thing I did was rescale the IAC vs Effective Area to account for the larger TB. Now when I coast at 40mph or so to a stop it drops right back down to idle and its perfect.

I also got rid of my unbaffled stock valve covers today as well. I finally got some spacers and picked up some stock valve covers and installed them. I redid my vacuum lines with new braided line I had laying around and the car runs a lot better. I wasnt sure I possibly had a small vac leak or if the tune was messed up. When I ran the idle airflow config the values were off as much as 20-25 percent. Now that I got it idling around 35 IAC counts now its time to step up the game in the power dept. I got a quote from TEA for 8 ls3 valves. I'll probably pick them up here in a few weeks. I do need to get that 85mm maf installed yet too.

Would it be wise for me to rescale the MAF just on the street without a wideband? I do need to get one installed for ease of tuning. I need to refresh memory of tuning the new MAF so I get it right.

Glad you got it idling correctly!!! As for rescaling the MAF for cruising around town: What do your Fuel Trims look like when cruising/idling around town?? Send me a "NEW" scan log and I will be glad to take a look for you again.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Yes that is true. You would need BTR Platinum springs instead for stock rockers.

Like this chris?

Yup that should work nicely...obviously this is a track setup being there is no filter...plus you might have to section some of the radiator support to get it to clear unless the radiator is moved back some...

Quick Reply: As cast TFS 220/Stock LS6/Stock TB/1 x 3/4"/custom cam