Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

LS1 intake to fast 102 on H/C LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just like you have seen a setup worth a ****, but never had one. Too bad you know everything, you could probably have another 20 HP or so.

Oh and BTW, there are much better cams out there than the ms3...or did your shade tree builder not tell you that? I bet you just wrote him a blank check and said "make it fast like".
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still 452 hp more than yours. Not as much as some but more than most. You actually pay someone to build you a short block in which you know will end up with same results, runs like sh*t in your own words. How old are you 24? So young dumb and full of C**. Looking at some of your older posts it looks all you do is argue with others. I believe if you listened more instead of bumpin your gums you might learn something, though I doubt it. I just noticed you misread one of my posts again MS4 not MS3. Must be on that mobile device again. The fastest thing you will ever own even though you don't know how to use it..

Last edited by chevychase; 10-25-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

All of this bickering aside, with your setup I would be genuinely surprised if you didn't pick up near to 25 or 30rwhp going to a FAST.

<-----drives a 99 FRC with heads/cam/headers. I ran an LS6, then a FAST 90, then an LS2, now a FAST92. A FAST is well worth it over an LS6. Numbers aside, you'll know as soon as you drive it that it's a different car, power down low changes significantly. Small cam cars don't always see the crazy peak number jump simply because they aren't fully taking advantage of the upper RPM area that the FAST can truly shine in. It doesn't mean it's not there throughout the powerband.

I'd do a 92mm with a C5 instead of the 102, the 102 probably won't fit under your cowl.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 10-25-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FAST Intake threads are the most beat to death topic on this website....there must literally be hundreds of them in the archives.

While there have been very few (and I mean very few) people that have posted lackluster results with the 102 swap due IMO, to one issue or another, there have been very many that have posted just the opposite.

I sense the largest issue with this mod is price and people just don't want to spend the coin so they try to convince themselves (and others) its not worth the money blah blah blah. Worth the money of course is always subjective, but if your looking to make big power the FAST just needs to be part of the recipe.

Think about this....just about EVERY combination that you read about approaching 475 RWHP is running the FAST. Think about it how powerful a testimonial that is, not to mention a good deal of them having spent more money for the porting work to increase the airflow and gains from the swap even more.

If you have decent heads, a cam, a good exhaust and a CAI a move from an LS1 to a 102 FAST you should see around a 15-20 HP gain to the tire....a little more than a 90/92 would show on the same engine. Subtract about 3-5 if your already running an LS6 intake which makes a few more ponies than the weaker LS1 baseline so your net gains would be less. Porting usually adds about 10 or so to that figure btw.....more on optimized builds with high flow heads.

Your not going to see 25 or more with an out of the box intake....if you do I assure you some of those gains were from the tune, but you will see in the vicinity of 17 HP (give or take a few) comparing a tuned baseline to tuned (out of the box) FAST manifold install.

There has been countless real world independent results to back my claims....not to mention my own "real world" results from dyno tests I have personally been involved in.

And guys....if I read one more time a 102 is "too big" for a stock engine I think I'm going to vomit....seriously. That's just a bunch of crap.....the size of the entrance to the plenum has nothing to do with how effective the manifold is, although as a rule of thumb, EFI engines do seem to like overkill on TB sizing because all we are accomplishing is making it easier for the engine to experience almost no vacuum restriction at WOT (appoaching 100 KPA).

We don't need velocity at the TB to meter and atomize fuel (likely the source of the "102 is too big" wives tale stemming from over carbed applications that couldn't properly meter or atomize fuel effectively). The fuel injectors cover all our fueling/atomizing needs for us with more precision and accuracy and ease of adjustability. A throttle body is simply an air blade.....nothing more....a device to restrict the amount of air entering the engine giving the driver control of various load situations. Back to the FAST argument once again, its the runners that are most important and the shape and length of the 102 runners are more ideal (IMO) than the older design 90/92 mm units, not to mention the overall design and construction of the new 102 being far superior with individual runners that are sealed with an O-ring at their base etc. Its a much more rugged design that also allows me more freedom when I port those intakes as well....another perk and win for the 102 style unit (I would port a hole in the older units grinding in areas I would like to but can't).

What else....OP....if your serious about getting all you can from this build buy either FAST but my money is on you seeing a little more from the 102 even out of the box. Want more, have me port one for you and really optimize the swap.....now you have an intake that wont hold you back even at the 700+ HP level (my personal 454 made over 700 HP with a ported FAST 102 and carried till 7K in spite of that manifold having runners clearly too long for the power level and displacement of my combination).

Take the plunge.....it's still the best game in town in aftermarket intakes. When its not you can bet your azzz you will see something else bolted between my cylinder heads.

Regarding price if you cant quite afford it just save longer if you value knowing you didn't take any shortcuts. While its not the best bang for the buck mod out there it's far from the worst, especially if you've already taken the plunge on heads, cam, headers, etc. Truthfully at that point it's the next logical move and its doubtful you will find anything else once you've hit the other mods mentioned that would offer you as big a bang for your buck once your in that deep but I will say it is a more effective swap (and will net you larger gains) when you already have a good set of heads and all the supporting mods.

OK....I'm off the soap box....allow the entertaining bickering to once again commence!.....LOL

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 10-25-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Default 99creelz

Nice setup you have and see you picked up 17 hp going to the fast 102 intake but you lost 23rwtq. What happened? Some people on the forum would think its the tune.

Last edited by chevychase; 10-25-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pick up a nice gain going from a LS6 with the neck ported out to match a 80mm TB to a FAST 102 with NW 102 TB. Well worth it. Bottom 3 lines all old setup, top 3 lines FAST 102. I was concern the throttle would be too touchy but that wasn't the case either.

Name:  2012-08-25_17-20-58_681.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  110.5 KB
Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevychase
Nice setup you have and see you picked up 17 hp going to the fast 102 intake but you lost 23rwtq. What happened? Some people on the forum would think its the tune.
You truly are a complete moron. STOP LOOKING AT PEAK NUMBERS RETARD! It's not all about peak. Christ look at your own dyno graph and tell us your average gains instead of peak. Then people might think you have solid gains from the 102. Yourself included.

Although, your peak numbers still suck a fat one given your heads and size of cam, I'm sure your average increases tell the real story.

Again, I am sorry your suffering from envy due to the fact you have twice as much in parts as most have in their entire setup, plus the fact you probably paid someone to build it, but pull your head out of your *** and smell the **** you stepped in.

Your setup sucks given the parts you have. Plain and simple. The difference between you and me is, I can admit I had a **** poor setup previously because I had someone build the short block. My own **** up. One which I won't be making this time by building it myself.

That being said, yes progress is slow. But I'm happier with my pile of parts than I would ever be with your setup that has way too much money invested and doesn't perform as well as it should.

It's too bad you have more money than brains, then you might realize your setup sucks and could get it figured out. Time for you to hit the road and look around the newbie section where your posts will have some sympathy due to ignorance.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

An ms4, sorry my bad. That just makes your numbers look worse. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mchdg86
How much would I gain? I still have the stock LS1 intake on my 00 C5 and I am trying to decide if I should sell the LS6 intake I have sitting in my garage and get the fast 102 with an LS2 throttle body.
Wow! Gotta get that thing tuned, man. On my set-up, on motor, we did a pull with all my other mods and the LS6 intake, then did a pull with my ported FAST 92. I wanted to see if the extra money for the ported FAST was money well spent. It definitely was. I picked up 26 horsepower over the LS6 intake! This thing would have really been choked out by an LS1 intake.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have a LS1 intake on the setup in my sig, because i just havent switched to a single plane yet. You will pick up HUGE power from the swap, I expect to gain around 40whp myself (cam is spec'ed for a single plane, so this intake is hurting it majorly)
Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Default Mamo's Comments

I do believe this guy is truly one of the Guru's of h.p. and if you could read his article in this thread you would see his comments 15 to 20 h.p. gains from an ls1 manifold to a FAST 102, and to subract 3 to 5 H.P. when going from an ls6 intake to the FAST that puts gains on average anywhere from 10 to 17 H.P for the ls6 to Fast 102 intake. A far cry from what guys are hoping for. Where does that put me, down 3 to 10 h.p. from the norm , and this was on stock heads. As for the averages of my h.p. and torque from where I started at 395 H.P. and 384 rwtq and where I'm at. 3500 rpms same hp and 10 tq gain. 4500 rpm 10 hp gain and 10 tq gain. 5500 rpm 30 hp gain 25 tq gain. 6500 rpm. 70 hp gain and 55 tq gain. What's your point? I have gains across the board. If you haven't notice being your on that mobile device and you can't read and after this post you'll find some excuse not to be able to add people don't post their average numbers, they post their peak numbers. Call it a tuning issue, call it a bad day, call it what you want but 3 to 10. h.p. miniscule, but 452 rwhp and 401 rwtq is definately not a tuning issue. I am just a small fish in a big pond of h.p. and torque, there will always be someone faster. All I know is I will always be faster than you!!! I am signing off now, you will have to find someone else to try to force your loser opinions on. Thanks and I hope you find your way.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Don't worry, I'll find my way to you to rape your over built, under powered pile of **** you call a race car here very soon. Have fun in crying in the corner because you realized I'm right. Don't forget the tissues! Peace bitch.

Quick Reply: LS1 intake to fast 102 on H/C LS1?