Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2005 GTO Street Heat Stage 2 "Cam-only"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alans02z
91 in the 1/8th is good? for a cammed stalled 243 car? Your not easily disappointed are you? If that had been me I wouldve drove that thing right from the return road straight to the nearest exit all the way back to WNC to a nice little pond behind my barn where it wouldve learned how to swim.

No offense, but man your making it very easy for the people in our neck of the woods to stick with Ed Curtis, Eps, And RPM.
Offense? I think you're taking more offense than me, people like you don't bother me. You're speaking for yourself if anything.

First time to the track and a 10.4:1 compression car with stock heads runs 7.40's in the 1/8th with a high 1.6x 60'? I say that's pretty good in September(might of been October) in Texas when the DA is 2000+.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

Again 10.4:1 compression, 2.73's mildly cleaned up 243's, stock LS6 intake and a ported throttle body and the second outing went almost 94mph...https://ls1tech.com/forums/16865049-post16.html

Thanks for showing you care though.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
DA and weight of the vehicle make a difference. GTOs are heavier and have more parasitic drivetrains than fbodies.

Around here it is common for a cam/stall/bolt on fbody to trap 88-89mph or worse due in part to the crappy air.
The car went 91.89 shifting at 6000rpm where it's clearly not even peaked yet. They bumped the shift points up to 6500 and added 3 degrees of timing (dyno graphs I posted didn't have the added timing in them) and on the first pass it went 93.3mph. It was still hot outside being that it was in Texas and he was hot lapping it so the IAT starting pulling timing and trans temp went to 220 degrees but the car still stayed in the high 92.8mph range even being heat soaked from being hot lapped and the IAT pulling timing.

I would bet with the cool air they probably have now in that part of the U.S., and the IAT not pulling timing that it would run 94-95mph. I consider this pretty good for a car that has stock compression, heads that haven't even had a real port job or valve job, 2.73 gears and a 3600 stall in a 3650lb. car.

Can't please everyone!

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 11-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.23s according to the link and the thread in this section. Your welcome for caring. Im not offended one bit. I just find it funny that you go on about combos but I have yet to see a thread about an ideal set up with The Street Heat 2. Matter of fact Ive only seen 2 threads period. Care to give us a break down of what would be? I imagine with would be a great street cam for someone, especially considering how quiet the valvetrain is.

As far as speaking for myself, not hardly or likely. I am just the guy who turns the wrenches in a decent sized home garage in a small town with alot of friends and family who mess around with this stuff for fun. Not nearly enough to hurt your feelings or business, but enough for someone else to apprecite. By the way, most of the 6 speed cars had parts from you guys from masters and clutches all the way to transmissions. So definately not a Tick hater by any means.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Martin will learn soon to not bother posting results like alot of us do. LOL

The curve/gain looks good to me. The car was definitely strong to start with.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I think Martin will learn soon to not bother posting results like alot of us do. LOL

Too many people here tear it apart every time a sponsor posts up some good honest real world results instead of hail mary runs. It's quite a shame because it gives everyone inflated expectations and leads to a lot of heartbreak IMO.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 PM
FormerVendor

3.23s according to the link and the thread in this section. Your welcome for caring. Im not offended one bit. I just find it funny that you go on about combos but I have yet to see a thread about an ideal set up with The Street Heat 2. Matter of fact Ive only seen 2 threads period. Care to give us a break down of what would be? I imagine with would be a great street cam for someone, especially considering how quiet the valvetrain is.

As far as speaking for myself, not hardly or likely. I am just the guy who turns the wrenches in a decent sized home garage in a small town with alot of friends and family who mess around with this stuff for fun. Not nearly enough to hurt your feelings or business, but enough for someone else to apprecite. By the way, most of the 6 speed cars had parts from you guys from masters and clutches all the way to transmissions. So definately not a Tick hater by any means.
I really wasn't trying to be rude, I'm glad you're not offended though. Thick skin is good. Honestly I only have 6 customers with this cam and not many of them post a lot or are on the forums much. It's been out for maybe 2 months now, really about a month and a half.

It's hard to say what an ideal set-up would be because very rarely do we as vendors get a chance to have a free run at what we would like to consider "max-effort". It's always the customers decision to go the route they feel will make them happy and this is what route we as vendors follow.

If I could have a 100% ideal set-up with this cam it would follow the same path of the Tony Mamo 480-500rwhp set-ups he has done for years now. It would have a set of cylinder heads that kept port velocity as their strong point and flow second. An AFR 205 or a TFS 215, or an AI, TEA, PRC CNC stock casting would be my choice in cylinder head. A ported stock intake manifold or Fast 92 would be my choice that had been ported as well. 1x7/8" or even 1x3/4" headers with a nice merge collector would be high on my list as would a very free flowing exhaust.

Really an ideal set-up for any cam would follow these guidelines. Again it really comes down to how far and ultimately how much the customer wants to spend that will determine the final numbers.

I know I'm new to this stuff, but I'm posting real world results that you will see everyday and not just ringers that we get once every quarter. Was this GTO strong already....no doubt! This is what most people will see though with any cam this size and not just mine, a 35-45rwhp gain.

Again I'm glad you took no offense, I just felt like your "drive it into a pond comment" was unwarranted.

If you know our shop then you know we know how to go fast, and Jonathan wouldn't hand me over the reigns if he didn't think I knew what I was doing or knew how to go fast myself. I asked Jonathan and Matt before telling them about your comments what they thought a car like that should trap in the 1/8th. They responded with low 90's, which I co-sign also.

Thanks for your opinion and comments, I welcome the good and the bad.

Well Don, with a couple people on this board saying I didn't show the proper presentation of results with my F1X cam I have set out to show my cams as best I can and adhere to their wants. They wanted real world so I am showing real world results. No ringers, nothing inflated, just results. I will have some more to post up soon and I have developed thick skin since the last round of differing opinions and comments.

Thanks for the comments on the curve, the CTS-V you did (LS2) with the blower cam a while back I think it was red... made nearly these same numbers correct?
Too many people here tear it apart every time a sponsor posts up some good honest real world results instead of hail mary runs. It's quite a shame because it gives everyone inflated expectations and leads to a lot of heartbreak IMO.
Don't worry thunderstruck I don't plan on quitting any time soon, I will post the good and the average along with the above average. I've never tried to pump up my gains.

Although I don't really care what negative things some have to say, I would like to at least show that I am not trying to pump up power numbers just to make a sale.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a lot of ls2's around those results. We average 4-6 cam installs a month. Haven't posted a result in years. Lol. Always people to pick it apart.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
FormerVendor

We have a lot of ls2's around those results. We average 4-6 cam installs a month. Haven't posted a result in years. Lol. Always people to pick it apart.
We do about the same amount of cam installs a month and I will be posting all the results for any of them that have my cams in them. We've got a really nice 2011 Camaro going together right now with a Fast 102 we're going to port match to the Advanced Induction 260cc LS3 heads we're having done and milled .006" to bring the compression up to right under 11.0:1 and one of our new Street Heat Stage 2 for LS3 cams. Stay tuned for that one as it should make big numbers for stock cubes, hopefully really close to 402 stroker numbers.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

My cam only 3600 pound car traps 95 to 96. Figured a 370 with 243s would trap better than 93. Just saying.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by andys02r1
My cam only 3600 pound car traps 95 to 96. Figured a 370 with 243s would trap better than 93. Just saying.

You have a M6 car of course it's going to trap higher MPH!!! Not to mention 4.11's which will keep you in your power band MUCH better than a set of 3.23 gears and contribute to a higher MPH on top of not having any slip to deal with like a converter car will. Your car also weighs less than his being it's an M6 with a lighter transmission than a A4. On top of that he has an iron block adding to that weight and you have an aluminum block.

Does anyone compare apples to apples anymore?

M6's consistently trap more than 2-3mph higher than a stalled auto, I thought that was common knowledge? Then add 20-30lbs. maybe slightly more for the trans, another 80lbs for the Iron block and you've got a car that weighs easily 100lbs less than his.

A set of 243's with the same compression as 241's are worth maybe 10rwhp.

How many trips to the track did it take for you to be able to hit 95mph? Was it your second trip ever with a brand new combination?

I'm not trying to bust your *****, but you need to compare two like things.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 11-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

keep doing your thing Martin...Im happy with everything you guys have done for me so far...
and,no,nobody compares apples to apples because there are really no apples to apples builds...different parts,different combinations,different vehicles,different weight,power robbing IRS vs. solid axle...too many variables...
sounds to me that the car/combo in question is still in the shakedown stages after a fresh build...3.73/3.91 would help vs. 3.23's

Last edited by weldermike27408; 11-28-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

I don't plan on running my car full throttle the first few passes...
Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

DA and weight of the vehicle make a difference. GTOs are heavier and have more parasitic drivetrains than fbodies.

Around here it is common for a cam/stall/bolt on fbody to trap 88-89mph or worse due in part to the crappy air.
no doubt....i hate the GTO IRS set up....Ive been thinking about how hard it would be to put a solid axle fabbed rear under my GTO...
Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Yeah, you absolutely can't compare stick shift and A4 mph. More like apples and watermelons. Even if you can lock the converter in the A4.

You also can't compare diferent car makes. GTO isn't a Camaro, isn't a C5.

Pretty much the same for weight unless it's with driver all on the same scale.

DA? Crap. Some of the east coast guys see -2000 feet! Guess where all the bests come from that the rest of us with similar combos can't touch?

Myself, I enjoy the conversation.

Ron
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by weldermike27408
keep doing your thing Martin...Im happy with everything you guys have done for me so far...
and,no,nobody compares apples to apples because there are really no apples to apples builds...different parts,different combinations,different vehicles,different weight,power robbing IRS vs. solid axle...too many variables...
sounds to me that the car/combo in question is still in the shakedown stages after a fresh build...3.73/3.91 would help vs. 3.23's
Trying to talk him into a 3.90, I think it would help out the most on the gear shift. Right now it's got to be dropping 1000rpms plus if not more.
Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Yeah, you absolutely can't compare stick shift and A4 mph. More like apples and watermelons. Even if you can lock the converter in the A4.

You also can't compare diferent car makes. GTO isn't a Camaro, isn't a C5.

Pretty much the same for weight unless it's with driver all on the same scale.

DA? Crap. Some of the east coast guys see -2000 feet! Guess where all the bests come from that the rest of us with similar combos can't touch?

Myself, I enjoy the conversation.

Ron
Ron,

I too enjoy the conversation, I don't take any of this stuff personal anymore.

Speaking of east coast DA being killer, it's not uncommon for MIR at this time of the year and end of October to be -1000+!!!

I think the Street Heat Stage 2 is a great all around, great driving, great sounding cam. It's not meant for maximum peak power or torque, and it's not meant to set the world on fire because at the end of the day it's still a 231/238 cam. Besides, that's what the Polluter is for to make as much power as is heavenly possible.

I'll also be releasing 6 new "torque" minded cams that focus on huge low-end and mid-range gains and making as much peak power as possible while retaining an extremely strong mid-range torque curve. The LSA's on the new cams range from 110 to 112 and will really make some noise.

Those will range from a 223/230 110+2 cam all the way to a 235/242 112+3 cam with some nice choices in between such as 231/234 111+2 and my personal favorite 235/238 112+3. Keep a look out for them!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

3.90's plus isnt he still using stock torque converter??? that will help too
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

I like the idea of more cams focused on moving the powerband down, the numbers are more realistic for a larger group of installs. You can get away with less stall and don't need as much rear gear to get really good results.

Martin great reults.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by weldermike27408
3.90's plus isnt he still using stock torque converter??? that will help too
Nah, he does have a Yank SS3600, the guy using the stock stall with a Street Heat cam is the 2010 we had in the shop the other day and that I've also posted in this section.
Originally Posted by mike13
I like the idea of more cams focused on moving the powerband down, the numbers are more realistic for a larger group of installs. You can get away with less stall and don't need as much rear gear to get really good results.

Martin great reults.
Thanks Mike!

The cams I'll be releasing soon will be:
223/226 .610”/.605" 111+2
227/234 .614”/.612” 110+3
235/242 .621”/.615” 111+3

223/230 .610”/.609” 110+2
231/234 .617”/.612" 111+2
235/238 .621”/.615” 112+3

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 11-29-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

If there is ever any negative da where we are, I believe id ****. We are closer to Bristol than anything. Rockingham was I think 1200+ for draggin rights wasnt it? We will be in Union Sc saturday. Will be interesting to see what it is then.

If something is put together, has street and dyno time, why go to the track and ***** foot around? not like its a huge power race car. See what the thing is really gonna do.

Martin, the combo youd like to see this in is exactly what the 230 238 cam I got from eps was specd for. A street car with prc 215 on a 6.0 with a 92 and arh 1 7/8ths headers for the ws6 I had. Decided to go 408 since the motor was apart and needed machine work and in the meantime a close friend of mine ended up with a z06 and I put it in for him with hopes of going further down the road. It sold and that was it.

No doubt the GTO is stong and Im sure he is happy. We beat on tick products very often at the track on on the street. We were actually pitted just down from you guys at DR. I love seeing all the Nc shops doing well and going fast and making money. About time we had some variety even if we have to drive 2-5 hours to get it.

Ive been in your shoes in a more direct and in your face situation and not so much on a public forum. Both can be very tough. Peoples intentions are misunderstood easy, as well as the text posted. Time and potential are on your side tho. Definately looking foward to the torque line of cams.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

If there is ever any negative da where we are, I believe id ****. We are closer to Bristol than anything. Rockingham was I think 1200+ for draggin rights wasnt it? We will be in Union Sc saturday. Will be interesting to see what it is then.

If something is put together, has street and dyno time, why go to the track and ***** foot around? not like its a huge power race car. See what the thing is really gonna do.

Martin, the combo youd like to see this in is exactly what the 230 238 cam I got from eps was specd for. A street car with prc 215 on a 6.0 with a 92 and arh 1 7/8ths headers for the ws6 I had. Decided to go 408 since the motor was apart and needed machine work and in the meantime a close friend of mine ended up with a z06 and I put it in for him with hopes of going further down the road. It sold and that was it.

No doubt the GTO is stong and Im sure he is happy. We beat on tick products very often at the track on on the street. We were actually pitted just down from you guys at DR. I love seeing all the Nc shops doing well and going fast and making money. About time we had some variety even if we have to drive 2-5 hours to get it.

Ive been in your shoes in a more direct and in your face situation and not so much on a public forum. Both can be very tough. Peoples intentions are misunderstood easy, as well as the text posted. Time and potential are on your side tho. Definately looking foward to the torque line of cams.
Normally in the end of October middle of November it is not uncommon to see 100-200 DA at Piedmont and my personal best N/A time in my car came at Piedmont last November when the DA was a whopping -300!!! That was a good day if you can imagine, I went 6.38@105 with a 1.29 60' and a 4.05 330' on motor@2970lbs.

About the only vehicle I'd recommend the Street Heat Stage 2 in "cam-only" would be a Corvette or a very lightweight swap vehicle. I would also recommend it for someone that wanted a cam that they new was there at idle, but could be lugged at 1400rpm in 6th gear all day long up hills and around town. I just know how this thing would wake up with some AI or TEA stock castings...it would be identical to all the combo's that Phil@AI has posted up over the years with his port work.

You should of came down and said hello if you were that close! Do you work for one of the local shops? I think Competition Auto was a couple trailers down from us what that you guys? Next time your at the track and you see us stop by and introduce yourself I like meeting the local guys.

Quick Reply: 2005 GTO Street Heat Stage 2 "Cam-only"