Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

This cant be right! or can it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

There is something completely wrong with the second dyno chart.

Don't you think?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
There is something completely wrong with the second dyno chart.

Don't you think?
I agree, somethings wrong, hence the post....
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your first dyno before heads/cam mod was dynojet redyno with a dynojet and see the difference (i think your second dyno was a mustang dyno as i saw).
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has this car been tuned since H/C??
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have a feeling this might be your timing...which may be pulled due to your head gasket. If you are running 24 degrees of timing on 93 octane (just a for instance, you havent said) it might be due to your head gasket bore size. My heads are 61cc, they are mamofied 215s so not a direct comparison, but Tony has emphatically told me that I need 4.080 bore head gaskets because of the milling my chambers are wider and the big bore gaskets are required to prevent detonation.

To be honest, it didnt look that way when I held them up to the heads, but I am running 30 degrees right now with the big bore gaskets and I gained 25 ftlbs everywhere by advancing from 26 degrees. Thats through an a4 and a 9".

Im definitely no expert, but you might ask Tony since youre running AFRs.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
Has this car been tuned since H/C??
Yes, that was 2nd Dyno sheet.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Second dyno sheet starts at a higher RPM on the plot so that may be part of the non-standard look to it. Not sure what kind of dyno the first one was, but you have an apple and orange comparison. Mustang dyno can read lower and sometime much lower depending on the settings.

Have you considered throwing the car on a Dynojet just for comparison purposes since most people show their dynos from that manufacturer?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Second dyno sheet starts at a higher RPM on the plot so that may be part of the non-standard look to it. Not sure what kind of dyno the first one was, but you have an apple and orange comparison. Mustang dyno can read lower and sometime much lower depending on the settings.

Have you considered throwing the car on a Dynojet just for comparison purposes since most people show their dynos from that manufacturer?
Yes, I am looking for another dyno now.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
So I have a feeling this might be your timing...which may be pulled due to your head gasket. If you are running 24 degrees of timing on 93 octane (just a for instance, you havent said) it might be due to your head gasket bore size. My heads are 61cc, they are mamofied 215s so not a direct comparison, but Tony has emphatically told me that I need 4.080 bore head gaskets because of the milling my chambers are wider and the big bore gaskets are required to prevent detonation.

To be honest, it didnt look that way when I held them up to the heads, but I am running 30 degrees right now with the big bore gaskets and I gained 25 ftlbs everywhere by advancing from 26 degrees. Thats through an a4 and a 9".
Wow, that doesn't make any sense to me at all. Are you useing a stock LS1? Why would you want a gasket bore larger than the bore in your block?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM

The biggest issue i see with the second dyno sheet, there is no way that cam is making peak TQ at 6,300+ I think you are missing some mid range TQ for sure.

Do you know the following:
What your timing curve looks like?
Was there any detonation or knock retard showing up on a data logger during the pull?
Why is the car so rich? (AFR is 11.7-12.4 with an average of 12.2) Definately overly rich on the throttle tip in.

If it was tuned after the heads cam install, I am leaning towards a bad tune. Did you get before and after results from the shop?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LIL SS
The biggest issue i see with the second dyno sheet, there is no way that cam is making peak TQ at 6,300+ I think you are missing some mid range TQ for sure.

Do you know the following:
What your timing curve looks like?
Was there any detonation or knock retard showing up on a data logger during the pull?
Why is the car so rich? (AFR is 11.7-12.4 with an average of 12.2) Definately overly rich on the throttle tip in.

If it was tuned after the heads cam install, I am leaning towards a bad tune. Did you get before and after results from the shop?
I dont know any of that stuff. I got it running, took it to a nearby recommended shop (CBM in Rancho Cucamonga) droped it off and picked it up later that day. It seems to run ok, but I am not impressed at all!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that first sheet doesnt seem to cross at 5252?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

There is no torque peak in the 2nd dyno. It would have to have a HUGE cam to peak that high. Your cam is nice and small.

So, seat of the pants, how does the car feel? With those heads and cam it should idle nice and really be strong in the middle.

Ron
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Do you think that this was the problem? The tuner failed not notice that the mechnic put the throttle cable in the wrong hole on the T/B. It was about 75% open @ full throttle, when he tuned it! I changed it, and its like night an day! about 4500 rmp it just blows the tires away! and they are drag radials. Its like skating on ice! So my question is it okay with the current tune?This cant be right! or can it?-cable.jpg

This cant be right! or can it?-throttle-body.jpg
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

The throttle body will leave power on the table for sure.

You should also be aware there is factory adjuster on the cable for the traction control cars, which your car appears to be, as it has one cable going to the TB.

I do not have mine on the car anymore, but it looks like larger diameter tube on the cable. There are 2 clips on each side. If you release the clips you can ratchet the section to adjust the sleeve length of the cable to be snug so you get full throttle opening.

Here is what it looked like on my car. Obviously different intake, but the cable will be the same.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RAMPANT

You should also be aware there is factory adjuster on the cable for the traction control cars, which your car appears to be, as it has one cable going to the TB.

I do not have mine on the car anymore, but it looks like larger diameter tube on the cable. There are 2 clips on each side. If you release the clips you can ratchet the section to adjust the sleeve length of the cable to be snug so you get full throttle opening.

Here is what it looked like on my car. Obviously different intake, but the cable will be the same.

Holly ****! Look @ that set-up!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

that sir, is a badass intake.
/hyjack
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Holly ****! Look @ that set-up!
Thanks, 4 years ago it was pretty cool. Nicer stuff out now.

Check that adjuster though, you can take up any slack out of the cable with it. You have a traction control car, right? They are the only ones with single cable to the TB, unless the cruise was removed from a non TC car.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, 4 years ago it was pretty cool. Nicer stuff out now.

Check that adjuster though, you can take up any slack out of the cable with it. You have a traction control car, right? They are the only ones with single cable to the TB, unless the cruise was removed from a non TC car.
Lol....ballin man
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

god DAMN! that is SICK!

let me guess..... $2000+?

Quick Reply: This cant be right! or can it?