Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2000 A4 Z/28 Futral F13 and Yank SS3600, disappointing numbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
That .642 lift intake lobe is an absolute waste on stock unported castings and is probably hurting you more than helping you. Contrary to the internet experts, it's worth almost nothing to go high into the .600's lift on a stock head, especially the 853's which die hard after .550.

The FM13 regular lift (.595/.588) cam is more than plenty for a stock cylinder head.

That being said, your #'s aren't that far off. I personally don't even like dyno'ing customers built A4 cars because more times than not you're going to get your feelings hurt. Stalled A4's are not dyno racers, race them @ the track and let the M6 guys play the dyno games.
Couldn't of said it any better myself. No point in echoing a great post, but I say the same thing to customers with A4's. They always want a horsepower guesstimate and I always say, "I don't like guessing with stalled auto's because the numbers will hinge so much on the converter that it makes guesstimating power output useless. Take it to the track."
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I think my converter is done for or maybe it's my 3-4 clutch pack but I'm looking onto other brand converters. I think I'm going to move away from the Yank and I'll most likely go PTC or possibly an FTI unit.

Also going to get a new trans while I'm doing this which will eat up the heads fund but I'd rather put a freshened trans in and be ok. So I have some calls to make whenever I get free time. Makes sense why the car dyno'd low.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterWS6
Saying AI's heads can beat ANY cylinder head out there is a stretched statement.....If this were true his LS7 castings would be king of the hill, and there would be no reason for something like the Mozez, or the LSW heads to exist. Not to mention, Phil probably wouldn't be porting aftermarket castings either....
Originally Posted by Damian
Yikes.

No disrespect to Tony, but A.I. can put you something together for around $1400 total (including valve springs) that run neck & neck with any cyl head available. I've proven that statement without a shadow of a doubt. .
Just for clarification sir. "Neck & neck" is a universe apart from "beating". My claims are also based on what I've proven in the shop. I've used nearly every major player in the LSX game as far as cylinder heads. I came up with A.I. being the best equation for the dollars spent. We average a 40-55rwhp gain with their CNC programs, which is on par with any other $2K+ head out there. That sir, in my professional opinion, would be considering running "neck & neck".

Originally Posted by SinisterWS6
No disrespect intended, Damian. By the way, that 6.2 you guys built put out some damn good #'s with the size of cam you have in it. Proof that ported stock castings can make good power when in capable hands.
Indeed, and I appreciate the kind words. It was just a well thought out combo with good parts. When you sweat ALL the details (valve spring install height, lifter preload, actual camshaft ICL, valve events, good timing set, etc) on an LS3 you can make some damn good power with a relatively small camshaft.

Quick Reply: 2000 A4 Z/28 Futral F13 and Yank SS3600, disappointing numbers