Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

What would dyno #'s be if SAE corrected?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would dyno #'s be if SAE corrected?

I had my car dynoed on a dynojet a couple of weekends ago. I have a Magnaflow exhaust, SSRA2, and TSP lid. My best run was 328 hp, 342 tq. I was really happy with these numbers until I realized they were uncorrected/standard numbers. What do you think my numbers would have been if they were SAE corrected? And does that seem normal with the mods I have done?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is no way to accurately tell you what the SAE number would be. Can you contact the dyno operator and get him to tell you? It's just a simple conversion for WINPEP (dynojet software).

Mike
Old 05-03-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Is parasitic driveline loss 15% for uncorrected and 20% for corrected?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SAE corrected numbers have nothing to do with driveline loss. It has to do with atmospheric conditions at the time of the dyno. Air temp, humidity, and barobetric pressure. Correction factors are usually somewhere between .95 and 1.05 that your numbers are multiplied by. Your files should be stored on the PC where the dyno is along with the wearher data when you dynoed. Only they can give you the SAE corrected numbers.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

ok cool, I appreciate the info!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

I know this is a useless question, but on the premise of bragging rights. To figure out flywheel horsepower I came up with 385 hp and 400tq with my uncorrected rw #'s. If driveline loss has nothing to do with SAE and STD #'s. Would my flywheel hp be less if I used SAE #'s as opposed to STD. Im trying to get a better understand of SAE/STD#'s in relation to flywheel #'s. Again, absolutely pointless in real world terms but solely for bragging rights.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Again your SAE #s could be higher or lower than your STD #s depending on if the weather was more or less favorable than what SAE considers ideal when you dynoed. Reread what I posted about there being a correction factor that your #s are multiplied by. For example, if you dynoed when the atmospheric conditions were exactly what SAE considers the standard, your correction factor would be 1.0.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

But whatever the #s are, most people figure at least 15% driveline loss on a stick, & 20% on an automatic. For instance my 370rwhp is roughly equal to 450fwhp.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Again your SAE #s could be higher or lower than your STD #s depending on if the weather was more or less favorable than what SAE considers ideal when you dynoed. Reread what I posted about there being a correction factor that your #s are multiplied by. For example, if you dynoed when the atmospheric conditions were exactly what SAE considers the standard, your correction factor would be 1.0.
Absolute barometric pressure:28.85 in.HG
Intake Air temperature:70.9
correction factor:1.04 STD
vapor pressure:0.32 in.HG

SAE#'s require
Absolute barometric pressure:29.23 in.HG
Intake Air temperature:77
vapor pressure:0 in.HG

This is interesting because even though my temp. was lower, so was the pressure, so I wonder how far off my numbers are from corrected. I will call the dyno shop tomarrow for the exact figures though.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:31 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Quick clarification:

"STD" and "uncorrected" are two DIFFERENT things. STD refers to ISO Standard conditions, 59F and 29.92 absolute baro (we in KS jealously call that "Houston" - on a bad day ).

Uncorrected are purely observed numbers under whatever condition you dynoed in. If you dynoed when it was -459 F degrees, you are going to have some hellaciously high numbers reported