Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno'd my new FMS 346ci SR LS1!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Dyno'd my new FMS 346ci SR LS1!!

I finally finished up everything with the new motor and fired her up for the first time!

The new motor is a FMS 346ci Solid Roller. I have S3 heads, Custom FMS SR Cam, Diamond Pistons, Lunati Rods, Stock Block, Stock Crank, LSX 90mm Intake & FAST 90mm TB.

First thing we did was ditch my old LS1 edit tune and reloaded my OEM stock tune. When I was running my old motor with the TR230/224 cam & GTP heads I had tested out all kinds of LS1edit settings and had the old motor running pretty good. This new motor is no where near the same as my old one so I deciced to start with a fresh tune.

The 3rd time we cranked the motor over, BAM! she fired right up. HOLY COW is the car loud. And it sounds so wicked!!

I'm got a video of it and will upload it along with the dyno graphs when I get back to my house tonite.

The only thing I really had to do was drill out the throttle body hole a little and she was holding her idling perfect.

Since I only had Alans help with tuning the car for 1 day, we did one quick heat cycle let her idle for about 10 minutes and then loaded the car on the trailer. It was Dyno time!

We got to the Dyno shop at about 3:00 pm and strapped the car down. I did 2 little blip pulls to 5000 rpm just check everything out watch the oil pressuse check for leaks etc, this was the first time the new motor had been above 1500rpm. She put down like 389 rwhp on two blip runs LOL, I went WOT for about 2 seconds flashed the converted and let off.

Everything looked good so we continued, the first WOT pull I brought the motor up to 7300 RPM and let off.

1st Dyno Run, with a completely stock PCM tune was:

442.8 RWHP & 519.4 RWTQ

The AFR was 14.2

I was already VERY happy, I was expecting MUCH lower #'s with the stock tune, the PCM had like 26* of timing at WOT etc.

Alan riched up the car a little more, changed nothing else and did another pull.

2nd pull 462 RWHP & 530 RWTQ

The AFR this time was about 13.8 & still stock timing.

Alan adjusted the AFR once more, I wanted to give the motor a conservative tune to start with so I could break her in at the track. We did a 3rd pull and got the AFR to exactly 13.0 flat across the board. Even pick up like 8 more RWHP/RWTQ.

Then something bad happened I noticed some fluid underneath the car in back of the passengers front wheel. I touched it with my hand and it was red ATF fluid. We stopped everything and jacked up the front of the car. The entire inside of the bellhousing and torque converter was covered with ATF. We started trying to find where it was coming from but when the car was sitting there nothing was leaking. I started the car up and shut it off, what was happening was the converter was slinging ATF everywhere as it was spinning. Some got on the headers and was smoking a little. We inspected everything again and what it appears is that the torque converter is leaking from one of the mouting bolt welds. So now everytime I ran the car as the converter spun it slung ATF everywhere.

I have a TCI Competition converter in the car that is only about 8 months old. Needless to say I was very disapointed, because this now going to throw off all my plans. Now I'm going to have to pull the tranny again and send the converter into TCI to get repaired or replaced. So that also meant no track testing this weekend either

We cleaned up the ATF and decided to see if we could finish the tuning, since I rented the dyno for 1 hour and we only did 6 total pulls and 2 of those were test blips to 5k rpms.

Since the AFR was nice and safe at 13.0 Alan bumped the timing from 26* to 28* at WOT. We did another pull and put down:

481.0 RWHP & 545.4 RWTQ

This time there was alot of smoke on that run from the ATF on the headers. And because there is a risk that the ATF could catch fire if it got hot enough we decided to call it a day.

Now here is some comparison #'s for you all. The best my old motor (forged 346ci with TR230/224 cam and GTP S2 heads) ever dyno'd was 404 RWHP & 445 RWTQ with a Yank SS4000 converter. I switched to the TCI converter I have now and the same motor dyno'd 384 RWHP. I lost 20 RWHP with the TCI converter but the car ran a faster ET.

With my old motor I was averaging 10.70's ET @ 125 MPH with 384 RWHP. Remember I have a TH400 with a VERY loose unlocked 5000 stall converter, a 4" Steel drive shaft, Moser 12 bolt and I dynoed the car with the 29.5" tall Slicks the dyno does some weird things when you have these parts.

So right now I only have a basic tune on the car running 28* of timing and am putting out 481 RW vs 384 RW to my old motor. Yea you can say I'M VERY HAPPY! Right now we estimate the motor to be about 524 RWHP with a 6 speed tranny. Not too shabby for a stock block/stock crank & unfinished tuned 346 ci LS1!!! Also I was still running regular old Castrol GTX 10w30 oil in there to break her in. I know that with some more tuning and switching out to Royal Purple, I think I can get 500 RWHP out this setup. This little 346 LS1 is one mean motor.

So, now I've got to go pull the damn converter out and get it fixed so I can finish tuning and get some track runs in. I hope to hell I can get the converter fixed and in the car before the N vs S race. I have hotel reservations and every thing is planned to go race.

I'd like to thank Alan Futral for building one awesome motor and for helping to tune the car. I wish we could have finished the tuning and made it to the track. I would have loved to let Alan take the hotrod for a few passes.

I'll keep you all updated on the converter status, I would like to see how TCI handles the issue.

I need this converter fixed ASAP!

Lee
Old 06-06-2004, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
I finally finished up everything with the new motor and fired her up for the first time!

The new motor is a FMS 346ci Solid Roller. I have S3 heads, Custom FMS SR Cam, Diamond Pistons, Lunati Rods, Stock Block, Stock Crank, LSX 90mm Intake & FAST 90mm TB.

First thing we did was ditch my old LS1 edit tune and reloaded my OEM stock tune. When I was running my old motor with the TR230/224 cam & GTP heads I had tested out all kinds of LS1edit settings and had the old motor running pretty good. This new motor is no where near the same as my old one so I deciced to start with a fresh tune.

The 3rd time we cranked the motor over, BAM! she fired right up. HOLY COW is the car loud. And it sounds so wicked!!

I'm got a video of it and will upload it along with the dyno graphs when I get back to my house tonite.

The only thing I really had to do was drill out the throttle body hole a little and she was holding her idling perfect.

Since I only had Alans help with tuning the car for 1 day, we did one quick heat cycle let her idle for about 10 minutes and then loaded the car on the trailer. It was Dyno time!

We got to the Dyno shop at about 3:00 pm and strapped the car down. I did 2 little blip pulls to 5000 rpm just check everything out watch the oil pressuse check for leaks etc, this was the first time the new motor had been above 1500rpm. She put down like 389 rwhp on two blip runs LOL, I went WOT for about 2 seconds flashed the converted and let off.

Everything looked good so we continued, the first WOT pull I brought the motor up to 7300 RPM and let off.

1st Dyno Run, with a completely stock PCM tune was:

442.8 RWHP & 519.4 RWTQ

The AFR was 14.2

I was already VERY happy, I was expecting MUCH lower #'s with the stock tune, the PCM had like 26* of timing at WOT etc.

Alan riched up the car a little more, changed nothing else and did another pull.

2nd pull 462 RWHP & 530 RWTQ

The AFR this time was about 13.8 & still stock timing.

Alan adjusted the AFR once more, I wanted to give the motor a conservative tune to start with so I could break her in at the track. We did a 3rd pull and got the AFR to exactly 13.0 flat across the board. Even pick up like 8 more RWHP/RWTQ.

Then something bad happened I noticed some fluid underneath the car in back of the passengers front wheel. I touched it with my hand and it was red ATF fluid. We stopped everything and jacked up the front of the car. The entire inside of the bellhousing and torque converter was covered with ATF. We started trying to find where it was coming from but when the car was sitting there nothing was leaking. I started the car up and shut it off, what was happening was the converter was slinging ATF everywhere as it was spinning. Some got on the headers and was smoking a little. We inspected everything again and what it appears is that the torque converter is leaking from one of the mouting bolt welds. So now everytime I ran the car as the converter spun it slung ATF everywhere.

I have a TCI Competition converter in the car that is only about 8 months old. Needless to say I was very disapointed, because this now going to throw off all my plans. Now I'm going to have to pull the tranny again and send the converter into TCI to get repaired or replaced. So that also meant no track testing this weekend either

We cleaned up the ATF and decided to see if we could finish the tuning, since I rented the dyno for 1 hour and we only did 6 total pulls and 2 of those were test blips to 5k rpms.

Since the AFR was nice and safe at 13.0 Alan bumped the timing from 26* to 28* at WOT. We did another pull and put down:

481.0 RWHP & 545.4 RWTQ

This time there was alot of smoke on that run from the ATF on the headers. And because there is a risk that the ATF could catch fire if it got hot enough we decided to call it a day.

Now here is some comparison #'s for you all. The best my old motor (forged 346ci with TR230/224 cam and GTP S2 heads) ever dyno'd was 404 RWHP & 445 RWTQ with a Yank SS4000 converter. I switched to the TCI converter I have now and the same motor dyno'd 384 RWHP. I lost 20 RWHP with the TCI converter but the car ran a faster ET.

With my old motor I was averaging 10.70's ET @ 125 MPH with 384 RWHP. Remember I have a TH400 with a VERY loose unlocked 5000 stall converter, a 4" Steel drive shaft, Moser 12 bolt and I dynoed the car with the 29.5" tall Slicks the dyno does some weird things when you have these parts.

So right now I only have a basic tune on the car running 28* of timing and am putting out 481 RW vs 384 RW to my old motor. Yea you can say I'M VERY HAPPY! Right now we estimate the motor to be about 524 RWHP with a 6 speed tranny. Not too shabby for a stock block/stock crank & unfinished tuned 346 ci LS1!!! Also I was still running regular old Castrol GTX 10w30 oil in there to break her in. I know that with some more tuning and switching out to Royal Purple, I think I can get 500 RWHP out this setup. This little 346 LS1 is one mean motor.

So, now I've got to go pull the damn converter out and get it fixed so I can finish tuning and get some track runs in. I hope to hell I can get the converter fixed and in the car before the N vs S race. I have hotel reservations and every thing is planned to go race.

I'd like to thank Alan Futral for building one awesome motor and for helping to tune the car. I wish we could have finished the tuning and made it to the track. I would have loved to let Alan take the hotrod for a few passes.

I'll keep you all updated on the converter status, I would like to see how TCI handles the issue.

I need this converter fixed ASAP!

Lee
Is that TQ a mistake. I have never seen that much TQ "545" out of a 346..
Old 06-06-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

WOW is their any car that Alan builds that doesn't put out phenomenal numbers!!!

Dude thats an awesome car you have there, grats on the build and definatly on the hp numbers.

Last edited by Mike K.; 06-06-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

That tq is not a mistake. I'm sure the converter was unlocked.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats friggin nuts!! that equates to damn near 500 to the wheels locked through an auto & 346?? OMG thats gotta be a record or something
Old 06-06-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Congrats to you and Allan Futral. Great setup!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

WOW! is all I have to say
Old 06-06-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

That is incredible! I have been saving my bucks to go solid roller...hopefully this winter/spring.

Congratulations.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Restricted User

Wow, great numbers! I love it when someone hits "reply" to a long post like that...they must live in New York...lol, j/k.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:49 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Congrats Lee! I know you are very happy with the #s, especially considering they are through your unlocked TH400, 4" steel DS, and 29" slicks. That is at a minimum 520+ rwhp in a 6-speed car.

When Allan called yesterday afternoon and told me the final #s, I was speechless. That is something to very proud of and makes all the $$$ and work well worth it. Now, go give it hell at the track.

Jason
Old 06-06-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

great numbers! who did your heads?
Old 06-06-2004, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Real kick *** numbers!
Old 06-06-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by H82BBad
great numbers! who did your heads?
FMS Stage 3 LS6 Heads Allan uses Larry Meaux in Abbevile, La
Old 06-06-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone!

I'm VERY please with the setup and the #'s and that was with only 5 dyno tuning pulls. Every time Alan made a change the #'s went up. And we did the dyno pulls back to back with no cool down time! I just cannot wait to get to the track, I admit I am a little concerned now about doing a super wheelie.

I'm also very pissed with the TCI converter. I will be calling them tomorrow.

Anywhoo here's a link to a video of me unloading the car on the trailer and putting her in the Garage. You see some smoke from the ATF on the headers just from going around the block when I pull into the drive way There was also a small puddle on the trailer.

"uhm yea... its has a cam in it"

FMS 346 SR (15 MB)

The new powerplant:

The cockpit:

The interior, with only the drivers seat:

This is my new fuel box and will also be my ballast box:

This is my new fuel system, Weldon fuel pump & Aeromotive filter + 8an feed line & 6am return line:

You know I still have carpet + interior, full power windows, power locks, ABS and TCS on the car and up until 2 days ago I still had power steering too. I just switched that out for the Madman rack Thursday night. Next time I'm at the track I will get on the scale and get a race weight. No idea what it is right now.

Lee
Old 06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

absolutly badass
Old 06-06-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome numbers .. Not to sure if I want to go to the North-v-South shootout now. Your going to be unstopable
Old 06-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got home from work. That is just insane!!!! When will you complete the tuning? Congrats Lee on the new setup. I will be in your area whooping up on Supras next month. I might decide to whoop up on new FMS SR 346ci setups as well..
Old 06-06-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bspz28
awesome numbers .. Not to sure if I want to go to the North-v-South shootout now. Your going to be unstopable
Don't worry I don't know if I'm going myself now. I gotta get the converter fixed and get some shake down runs out of the way in a week and a half. I don't want to drive 1200 miles to N vs S to make my 1st pass LOL
Old 06-06-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VINCE
I just got home from work. That is just insane!!!! When will you complete the tuning? Congrats Lee on the new setup. I will be in your area whooping up on Supras next month. I might decide to whoop up on new FMS SR 346ci setups as well..
Now that would be a fun race!!

Lets seriously try to set something up!
Old 06-06-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Holy **** that car is BAD ***! I even like the paint scheme and all the stickers.

Fuggin sweet!

BTW, why are the plug wires on the passenger side going toward the PCM?'

Also, can I see a pic of where your intake air tube is going to as it dives over the radiator anteriorly?

Quick Reply: Dyno'd my new FMS 346ci SR LS1!!